Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 04:34 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,438,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock View Post
I challenge you to find a retail business that does not do this.
Umm just about every major department store that has locations nationwide charges the same at every location. Macys, Dillard's, Nordstrom all charge the same price for identical merchandise at all there locations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 04:48 PM

437 posts, read 638,717 times
It can be easy to sit here and judge people who shop at CM but I have not seen a snob presence. What I noticed right away is that there are people like me there who are curious shoppers and checking out what CM is all about. I like to go there during events like the hatch chili fest.

Also, my understanding is that the CM in SA is not like CM in other cities due to the fact that the one here was previously an HEB. So yes, it has more HEB elements to it compared to a CM in let's say Austin or Dallas. But you are not going to find something like this in HEB I just don't see this in my neighborhood grocery every day. | Yelp)

Old 03-14-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
It can be easy to sit here and judge people who shop at CM but I have not seen a snob presence. What I noticed right away is that there are people like me there who are curious shoppers and checking out what CM is all about. I like to go there during events like the hatch chili fest.

Also, my understanding is that the CM in SA is not like CM in other cities due to the fact that the one here was previously an HEB. So yes, it has more HEB elements to it compared to a CM in let's say Austin or Dallas. But you are not going to find something like this in HEB I just don't see this in my neighborhood grocery every day. | Yelp)
Actually when oak park HEB was new they sold truffles too.

Old 03-14-2016, 05:10 PM

437 posts, read 638,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Umm just about every major department store that has locations nationwide charges the same at every location. Macys, Dillard's, Nordstrom all charge the same price for identical merchandise at all there locations.
Well I was mainly referring to grocery and drug stores, but no.. none of those department store names you just threw out there guarantee same price at every store. If anything, I see some fine print on their websites basically saying "prices and sales may vary by store."
If you are inclined to find one store that does this I am sure you will but it's an extremely rare practice.

At least these days with HEB, Walmart and others it is easy to go online and check prices by store, for the shopper who wants to save money.

Old 03-14-2016, 05:11 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,499,927 times
Quote:
That's true....just look at the difference in gas prices all over town from the same refinery.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Well I was mainly referring to grocery and drug stores, but no.. none of those department store names you just threw out there guarantee same price at every store. If anything, I see some fine print on their websites basically saying "prices and sales may vary by store."
If you are inclined to find one store that does this I am sure you will but it's an extremely rare practice.

At least these days with HEB, Walmart and others it is easy to go online and check prices by store, for the shopper who wants to save money.
I guarantee that the price for an identical item at a Macys here is the same as a Macys in Los Angeles as is the same price in New York. They use a centralized pricing system, as does Nordstrom. Online prices may vary but only because at one time those were considered different divisions with different buyers but have been unified for some time.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:56 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,345,657 times
I feel like we have some jealously here.

Fyi find a meat counter like the CM at any other locale HEB. The cheese selection it is second to none..

Old 03-15-2016, 05:27 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,969,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post

Fyi find a meat counter like the CM at any other locale HEB. The cheese selection it is second to none..
You will not.

The bulk coffee, oil, vinager, tea, spice, etc you will never find at another HEB. Same as the deli meets too, no HEB has the same selection of legs of jamon and prosciutto. We could keep going also.

Old 03-15-2016, 06:38 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,774,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post

You keep harping on jealousy. I can assure you that I am not jealous of clientele at CM and I am just one of the regular folks that drop in once awhile that lives nowhere near CM. The only jelly I get (at any store) is the grape kind at the HEB near my house.

I do not disagree with you that CM's meat counter is above and beyond any other meat HEB counter, but I can find non-HEB meat counters that are just as comparable if not better such as Bolner's meat market, Dziuks meat market out in Castroville, or Groomer's seafood. Neither are partly filled with snobby, elitist clientele.

So as you and TXEX06 keep saying I will never find this or that being sold at CM at any other HEB. I don't disagree but I can certainly find just about everything at CM at other places in or around SA area other than their own private label stuff.

Old 03-15-2016, 06:46 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,774,133 times
Quote:
I know you said to smuboy86 that you really meant grocery or drug stores. (Although you said retail businesses above so you are being a bit confusing here).

Bottom line, many retail businesses (such as GAP) have pricing structure that remain the same throughout the San Antonio area. Many restaurants do such as Taco Cabana, McDonalds, etc.

Sam's Club and Costco are the same throughout the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio