U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 07:17 AM

2,818 posts, read 3,337,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
HOAs had a lot more options for enforcement 10 years ago, before the legislature overreacted to a few bad apples in other parts of the state by neutering them statewide.
The legislature simply curbed the management companies' and HOA attorneys' unscrupulous business practices to cut down on the systemic fleecing of homeowners through extortive mechanisms. That money wasn't going to the HOA to begin with. If you are having problems, look at the trade organizations your management company and HOA attorney are affiliated with. If it's Community Associations Institute you've just located one likely source of your problems.

Quote:
If the legislature continues down this path and eliminates the ability to impose liens to collect fees, there are going to be a lot of neighborhoods in San Antonio with abandoned pools and playgrounds, because their HOA went bankrupt.
Puhlease. Quit giving all the money to the management companies and HOA attorneys. The trade groups were claiming the HOA needed the power to foreclose to collect assessments. However the trade groups came up with a variety of schemes to pyramid up fees (for themselves) and ensure the allegedly needed assessment was the last thing that would get paid. Why? Because they would use this priority of payment scam and threats of nonjudicial foreclosure to extort large sums of money from homeowners for themselves. That money wasn't going to the HOA. The new laws were adopted to curb this practice by unscrupulous boards, management companies, and HOA attorneys. Now the payment gets applied to assessments first by law. How can you complain about that "path" (unless you work for an HOA management company)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 02:32 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,816 posts, read 33,144,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
How can you complain about that "path" (unless you work for an HOA management company)?
I'm an HOA board member. I was an HOA board member before the legislature gutted the enforcement options, too. I have attended CAI events and I have occasionally read the alerts put out by TNT. I don't know that either of those organizations offer dire predictions about the consequences of deregulation, but I have been paying attention long enough to connect the dots and form an opinion about where things are headed.

Since I got it so wrong, please do enlighten me on what the ultimate goal is for neutering HOAs, since you are always well-versed on the rhetoric of the anti-HOA faction. Is it to eliminate the possibility that any Texas neighborhood will have an HOA?

Old 03-15-2016, 07:11 PM

874 posts, read 1,158,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablemom85 View Post
I live in HOA community and the fee is pretty high for what we get. They hire tons of security who do nothing but drive around in their cars. If you need help they tell you to call 911, so what is the point? Deed restrictions include painting houses, altering exterior of home, extending fences, building carports, etc. Well, all these restrictions are being violated everyday. I am trying to sell my home as I am retiring and moving to my retirement home. It is embarrassing to see my new neighbors home. He extended his fence line to the edge of the sidewalk about 50 feet and he now keeps cars within the fence line to fix them for sale. This is a violation. He also planted 30 fruit trees right along the side walk in his front yard which I do believe is also an HOA violation and possibly an easement violation. He has cars parked all along side of his property as he has a corner house. All these car are auction purchases, he is fixing them at his home and selling them. This is an HOA violation. I have reported this numerous time and nothing is being done about it. I pay my dues on time and I am at my wits end. Trust me that is not the worst, they sit outside in front at night on their driveway and they leave their trash all over the place. It is an eye sore. Other neighbors have overgrown grass, one is a contractor and leaves his materials, ladders in front of his home on the driveway. This is not leaving my home with a good curb appeal since one would probably take not of the neighbors as they drive up to my home. What can I do? No one seems to listen to my complaint. I need help or advise.
Try volunteering to be on the board. Don't like what is going on with your HOA? Have other neighbors that think the same? Organize, be involved, make change. Don't like your environment? Make it change. You say you are selling. I guess you never even cared until now? Maybe you should have been involved a while ago.

Old 03-15-2016, 07:40 PM

2,818 posts, read 3,337,518 times
Quote:
I'm an HOA board member. I was an HOA board member before the legislature gutted the enforcement options, too. I have attended CAI events and I have occasionally read the alerts put out by TNT.
Ah, lifelong board member I see. Did you oppose laws that prohibited board members from being able to decide what other homeowners could run or vote?

What kind of "enforcement options" do you think were "gutted"?

Quote:
I don't know that either of those organizations offer dire predictions about the consequences of deregulation,
Well you must not have been on the "call tree". CAI would bus people in from San Antonio, Houston, and Dallas, give them pins, give them talking points to go up and testify, flood legislator's offices with trash propaganda about dire results or "unintended consequences" of any provision that might protect homeowners from the practices of these businesses. When legislators start asking them questions and they are only capable of mimicking what the management company rep or HOA attorney told them to say, the management company rep announces the bus will be leaving so the rest of the lemmings have an excuse to leave before making fools of themselves.

The TNT people are one reason we have to have a bill of rights, anti-discrimination laws, and fair housing laws. I've seen them at the Capitol and read their propaganda. Like CAI they falsely claim to represent large numbers of homeowners. In reality the "voting" membership consists of HOA corporations, not the homeowners. The "association of associations" claims to represent all the homeowners in all the HOAs that pay assessments to TNT. It's really a club for HOA board members to promote HOAs. By the way, that's some neutering that will be taking place. An HOA corporation has no business collecting money from homeowners under threat of foreclosure in order to pay "dues" to TNT.

Quote:
but I have been paying attention long enough to connect the dots and form an opinion about where things are headed.
respect for fundamental property rights like ownership?

Quote:
Since I got it so wrong, please do enlighten me on what the ultimate goal is for neutering HOAs, since you are always well-versed on the rhetoric of the anti-HOA faction. Is it to eliminate the possibility that any Texas neighborhood will have an HOA?
You framed the question oddly. I'm not sure what "authority" you think you should have or that has been taken away from you. You have so identified with "being the HOA" you believe you have been neutered. Please identify exactly how you or the HOA board you are part of has been "neutered".

Neither you nor the HOA corporation are a government. What makes you think HOA corporations should have whatever power you are seeking over homeowners?

Last edited by IC_deLight; 03-15-2016 at 09:01 PM..

Old 03-15-2016, 08:28 PM

6,259 posts, read 8,996,369 times
Wow.....WHOLE lotta vitriol here. Anyone that knows Bo knows he's one of the most level-headed and even-handed around - and frankly I find your attempts to talk down to him both offensive and way off base.

I STRONGLY dislike HOA's - which is why we don't live in a development with one. Those that like them, fine - they can live under one. Having said that, I DID live in one many years ago - even served as President for a few years. Those were the most frustrating, non-productive years of my life - many of our meetings were filled with folks such as yourself - not there with anything constructive to offer, just griping, tossing charges/accusations, and generally trying to bully the very folks they accused of bullying them. One of my favorites was the low-life that was mad because we had the 6 cars parked in his front yard removed one weekend after a year of trying to reason with him.

Can HOA's become overbearing? Sure - it's human nature, which is why I won't live in another one. By the same token, they CAN also do a world of good, because unfortunately so many folks today only want to do what THEY want to do, and could care less how it impacts their neighbor. As for HOA's that placed liens on peoples' homes - in 99% of the cases, it was after many YEARS of the homeowner ignoring their HOA dues, rules and regulations, figuring they "couldn't do anything about it". When they found out otherwise, they quickly painted the HOA as the bad guy - which usually was NOT the case.

Hopefully, you've now gotten all of it out of your system........

Old 03-15-2016, 09:18 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

I asked my question first and all you did was criticize the organizations who advocate for HOAs and question my credibility to ask a question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
You framed the question oddly. I'm not sure what "authority" you think you should have or that has been taken away from you. You have so identified with "being the HOA" you believe you have been neutered. Please identify exactly how you or the HOA board you are part of has been "neutered".
Let me put it more simply and less personally then. When will your side be satisfied that HOAs have the amount of authority you think they should have?

Old 03-16-2016, 08:39 AM

852 posts, read 926,021 times
Quote:
I'm an HOA board member. I was an HOA board member before the legislature gutted the enforcement options, too. I have attended CAI events and I have occasionally read the alerts put out by TNT. I don't know that either of those organizations offer dire predictions about the consequences of deregulation, but I have been paying attention long enough to connect the dots and form an opinion about where things are headed.

Bo, don't feed the troll. IC literally searches out HOA threads and has been for years. He obviously has a serious ax to grind and slams all HOAs every chance he gets, just look up his post history.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:18 AM

5,623 posts, read 6,413,241 times
I see a lot of questions being asked from both sides here and none of them really being answered.

I am not a fan of HOAs but it serves the purpose for some.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:35 PM

6,259 posts, read 8,996,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
I see a lot of questions being asked from both sides here and none of them really being answered.

I am not a fan of HOAs but it serves the purpose for some.
There's really no questions here, IMO. More like position statements.

HOA's work for some - not so much for others. As with anything else, your mileage may vary - in my own personal experience, most will complain about how a HOA is run, but won't step up to do anything that would require effort on their part. Those are what I call "grackles" - noisy, make a mess of everything - and the law won't let ya shoot 'em.

Some folks are fine w/HOA's - others aren't. But in my book, since you buy a home with a HOA, you have no one to blame but yourself. If you don't like it, then either work within the HOA to make it better, or just move and quityerbi******.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLR210 View Post
Bo, don't feed the troll. IC literally searches out HOA threads and has been for years. He obviously has a serious ax to grind and slams all HOAs every chance he gets, just look up his post history.
Oh, I am familiar with this poster and his posting pattern and style. But I am also genuinely curious to learn what his side's endgame is and I believe it is very relevant to the topic the OP started. Unfortunately (IMO), his side has gotten the ear of the legislature and convinced it to make some provisions of deed restrictions in Texas unenforceable and removed some of the options for enforcing them. That could be why the OP is upset with her HOA. The OP sees items in the deed restrictions that aren't being enforced and wonders why.

So I assume that the OP will also be curious just how much farther they intend to go with their efforts to rein in HOA powers. She might be facing even more disappointment with her HOA after future legislative sessions, if the sessions of the past decade are any indication.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or