U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 03:51 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,431,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
I like this ^^ very noble to leave to grow as a person but come back to make your hometown a better place.

I am curious, did you start your career elsewhere and then moved back or were you able to get it going in SA?
Career change. Wasn't happy working for the state of Texas and Austin was wearing thin on me. Austin had already had all the national media hype behind it and I thought and still do that San Antonio has more to offer. I get my UT football and Austin fix a few times a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 03:56 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,431,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
We had planned to retire out of the military in SA and tried it for eight years and have NO regrets about moving. It never felt like "home" being from the mid-west. We did not like the extreme summers, litter, loose dogs.
I remember the first time we went to our new grocery store in Missouri for the first time. It was around Christmas and all the songs were in English. We just kind of stopped and looked at each other...it was wonderful, but surprising after living in SA for so long.
I'm sure SA locals would find my state hard to feel like home in, too.
Hmmmm??? I lived in Michigan for a number of years and still visit family a couple times a year up there and can't relate to you.

Extreme summers are to be expected, just like snow in the Midwest. Never had a grocery store experience like yourself, maybe it's because I spent a lot of time outside Detroit and Ann Arbor in their diverse neighborhoods. I do agree with the strays and litter though, and a lot of volunteers are working hard to fix it.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:18 AM

3 posts, read 2,214 times
I left back in 2010 mostly for career and relationship reasons, but also because I felt a bit underwhelmed by what the city had to offer in regards to downtown amenities and nightlife. I left SA for Austin (where I had just graduated from college the previous year), which turned out to be a great career (and lifestyle) move. We ended up moving to Ann Arbor, MI a couple years later, which was solely a career move, but after a while we couldn't handle the harsh winters and decided to move someplace warm.

We began looking for jobs in TX because we missed it so darn much, but also looked in other states as well. We had the option to move to California which we were pretty excited about, but suddenly got a call for an opportunity in SA. I'd been actively reading up on the progression of the city and was happy to see my hometown making such strides toward a having more vibrant downtown and tech industry. We decided to take the leap and move back to SA last year and love it so far. I'm just hoping the progress downtown continues...

Old 03-29-2016, 11:17 AM

6,998 posts, read 10,223,233 times
I moved to be closer to school. Now that I'm almost finished, I plan on staying in the Austin Metro area. Housing costs are higher, but the increase in pay more than makes up for that. I have a lot of options when I graduate. Austin and Travis County pay a lot more than San Antonio and Bexar County for jobs in my field.

San Antonio also has a shortage of CTIs for LCDC interns. For a couple of years, I could only find a couple of openings and got two interviews. I didn't get any of those jobs, but they only paid minimum wage to $11 an hour. There were also a lot of people applying for one opening at each place. The first internship I applied to in the Austin area I landed, and they're still looking to hire more people. My employer and some others hiring CIs in the Austin area pay more than $11 an hour.

I spent nearly 30 years in SA. I would literally cry if I ever had to return. The only things I miss are the Tex-Mex and the fact that SA has less traffic than Austin.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:46 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,098,119 times
I try not to criticize the city as much as I used to, it's where I grew up as a child, teenager and very young adult and I am proud of it. Sure there are bigger and better cities (better in certain respects economy, various job sectors...etc) but I will say that it is is quite unique as far as American cities go and it is making progress that I clearly see every time I go back, it's not as stagnant as it once was. Oh and that basketball team from there is great!

Old 03-30-2016, 10:48 AM

2,847 posts, read 1,946,962 times
left due to high property taxes, allergies, and humidity

Old 03-30-2016, 11:16 AM

818 posts, read 980,480 times
I left San Antonio, for Nashville, in 2013 for several reasons. I still own some property there so I get back from time to time but leaving was the best decision I ever made. I enjoy going back and visiting but it is not a place I enjoy staying long term. It usually takes 3 or 4 days back to affirm that. Of course, I always enjoy those 3 or 4 days. For me it is a text book definition of great place to visit but not to live.

Reasons I left:

- I don't like the Mexican culture.
- The oppressive heat.
- I was underwhelmed by the general lack of education.
- The litter everywhere and the lack of pride in the community.
- Excessive property taxes.
- Low paying jobs.

Things that I miss:

- My friends
- Taco Cabana
- Whataburger
- Inexpensive property

Old 03-30-2016, 05:30 PM

3 posts, read 6,890 times
Born in San Antonio, moved away when I was 3. Been in and out over the years, moved back end of 2014, and ready to leave allready (as of March 2016). I've lived and traveled many places; I don't understand how San Antonio a city so big, seems so underwhelming. You can only visit the riverwalk and eat Mexican food so much. I usually spend my weekends everywhere outside the San Antonio borders.

CONS-
-Just in the 1 1/2 year I've moved back, traffic seems to get worse monthly. Constant roadwork and slow, rude drivers
-I miss nature. On the coast cities you have beaches and trails, Northwest you have mountains and snow, even NM, AZ you have beautiful deserts and outdoors areas. San Antonio is a dirty concrete jungle. Yeah there is a few rivers and lakes... An hour away
-Culture. I can't relate to most the Mexican culture. In San Antonio if you're white, black, Asian,mid eastern, any ethnicity not from Mexico ; you're the minority. I didn't think it was a big deal at 1st , but spend some time dating, socializing, doing buisness or shopping and you'll realize you're the odd man out.

PROs-
-Any buisness, store, or facility you need is probably here.
-Not a shortage of jobs (even if they are low paying)
-Decent Colleges near
-Military complex (if that's your background)

Short Story, the city needs some desperate cultural diversity, fix the highways, create more nature and events areas.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:17 AM

4,188 posts, read 3,052,137 times
I left primarily because my employer was paying more to work in another region.

Overall, in SA the good considerably outweighs the bad.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:39 AM

381 posts, read 662,129 times
I came from LA LA land in 2011 and plan to stay in SAT probably forever. I like it here much better. Heck, everyone else from all over the USA seems to be moving here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or