Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 08:26 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,255 times

Advertisements

I find it interesting that people are arguing about the people who are providing more information to the OP to help make their decision.
If they're not interesting in a similar vibe, they can just ignore the parts about Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 12:42 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,107,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Nothing @urban" in San Antonio compares to what I've seen in Austin. Even with adding the small Heb downtown doesn't compare to the access to grocery, outdoor activities, cultural activities, etc. that Austin has (and is working on...). However, I understand there are various reasons to move to both. I would recommend checking out both in your trip down here. While I know the cost of living is higher in Austin, but with living closer to things you're going to save some money.
I disagree, I was in Austin during SXSW this year and drove around the urban core, which is considerably smaller than S.A's. It does seem more architecturally modern(Much less stock of historical structures) and maybe the urban development is a little more dense for now in one or two areas but S.A. has a lot more key areas to work with that are finally seeing urban development. Hemisfair Park, River North, Pearl district, Southtown, Cattleman Square, So Flo, Lonestar Area, Lower Broadway, St. Paul Square area, Government Hill. As far a cultural activities San Antonio has more museums, cultural centers & venues, art galleries, arts districts, more downtown parks and squares. San Antonio has the urban 15 mile Riverwalk and U/C the 4 mile San Pedro Creek linear park which is dubed as the second Riverwalk where a lot of urban development is said to be developed along the park.Then there is Brackenridge Park area which is also seeing development.

Austin is new and modern, a very nice city while San Antonio is a different kind of cool, historical, charming, more gritty that is found in older cities more of a juxtaposition bewteen old and new.

Anyone moving from Portland shouldn't have a problem adapting and should just understand that this is the sunbelt and not the Pacific northwest, different cultures, architecture, weather, etc.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:37 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
I disagree, I was in Austin during SXSW this year and drove around the urban core, which is considerably smaller than S.A's. It does seem more architecturally modern(Much less stock of historical structures) and maybe the urban development is a little more dense for now in one or two areas but S.A. has a lot more key areas to work with that are finally seeing urban development. Hemisfair Park, River North, Pearl district, Southtown, Cattleman Square, So Flo, Lonestar Area, Lower Broadway, St. Paul Square area, Government Hill. As far a cultural activities San Antonio has more museums, cultural centers & venues, art galleries, arts districts, more downtown parks and squares. San Antonio has the urban 15 mile Riverwalk and U/C the 4 mile San Pedro Creek linear park which is dubed as the second Riverwalk where a lot of urban development is said to be developed along the park.Then there is Brackenridge Park area which is also seeing development.

Austin is new and modern, a very nice city while San Antonio is a different kind of cool, historical, charming, more gritty that is found in older cities more of a juxtaposition bewteen old and new.

Anyone moving from Portland shouldn't have a problem adapting and should just understand that this is the sunbelt and not the Pacific northwest, different cultures, architecture, weather, etc.

Stopped reading after that. You don't see Austin during sxsw. You see sxsw. It's like visiting San Antonio during Fiesta but on a much much much larger scale.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:58 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,107,813 times
Quote:
Stopped reading after that. You don't see Austin during sxsw. You see sxsw. It's like visiting San Antonio during Fiesta but on a much much much larger scale.
I didn't go for the festival I went to visit friends. Fiesta is a totally different type of festival that draws way more in attendance and has more events. SXSW is more popular though nationally and internationally not that Fiesta doesn't draw people from around the world. SXSW advertises more while Fiesta does not its been around since the 19th century.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:13 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,968,633 times
Quote:

I went to school and worked in Austin's urban core for 9 years and agree with sweethome completely. You've lived in Austin's burbs for a few months now, please don't act like some sort of Austin expert. You lived in SA your whole life, but in the outer burbs too. You can knock the small HEB downtown all you like, but no urban grocery store should be the size of a Walmart that is found in urban sprawl(ahem Whole Foods!)

Having lived outside 1604 for a short time and then moved to SoFlo, it's a completely different experience that cannot be replicated by driving in on the weekend for dinner or drinks.
Enjoy Austin's traffic.

Last edited by TXEX06; 04-08-2016 at 09:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio