Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 12:40 PM

6 posts, read 5,141 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

First, we are very excited to join SA community in the next 2-3 month period! We are currently living in Sugar Land near Houston area, and looking for a single family house in SA to settle down. Moving is due to a great job offer, as most of us in this forum. We will have to commute to the south part of the city near brook city base. I have read many of the threads here and also checked out the crime map in SA. Seems like at the south of SA, not as safe as the northern part of the town. So we decide to post a new thread to ask for opinions from local SA people here!

1. Budget under $500K, this should be the first of the first to consider when buying house right?

2. Commuting, as we don't like to stay most of the time in a car everyday, hopefully travelling to south 410 area will be within half an hour.

3. Good/Acceptable ISD, we don't have kid yet but need to plan for future. Also decent school zone will have stronger resale later, and probably safer neighborhood?

4. Size, it will be okay for us to stay any house ranging from 1400 sqft, we actually don't like a very big house as maintaining it is lots of work

5. Proximity, we mostly cook at home, so hope our new house is near some major food markets

Additional thoughts, we are considering Alamo Heights and King William areas now, are they good choices and only choices we have now? and which one will be more suitable for our needs here?

Thank you for your time reading my first post in SA board!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 01:23 PM

199 posts, read 175,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte_Tiger View Post
Hi all,

First, we are very excited to join SA community in the next 2-3 month period! We are currently living in Sugar Land near Houston area, and looking for a single family house in SA to settle down. Moving is due to a great job offer, as most of us in this forum. We will have to commute to the south part of the city near brook city base. I have read many of the threads here and also checked out the crime map in SA. Seems like at the south of SA, not as safe as the northern part of the town. So we decide to post a new thread to ask for opinions from local SA people here!

1. Budget under $500K, this should be the first of the first to consider when buying house right?

2. Commuting, as we don't like to stay most of the time in a car everyday, hopefully travelling to south 410 area will be within half an hour.

3. Good/Acceptable ISD, we don't have kid yet but need to plan for future. Also decent school zone will have stronger resale later, and probably safer neighborhood?

4. Size, it will be okay for us to stay any house ranging from 1400 sqft, we actually don't like a very big house as maintaining it is lots of work

5. Proximity, we mostly cook at home, so hope our new house is near some major food markets

Additional thoughts, we are considering Alamo Heights and King William areas now, are they good choices and only choices we have now? and which one will be more suitable for our needs here?

Thank you for your time reading my first post in SA board!
Welcome Fellow Texan!!

Old 04-04-2016, 02:08 PM

26 posts, read 35,811 times
Wow. You can get a lot of house with $500k in the SA area. But your case is a bit tricky since the job is in Brooks City and you want a close-by, safe area, good ISD but small place. Pretty unique situation.

If you're into older fixer uppers, then King William may work. Me personally I'm not a fan since the houses are really old there. The ISD isn't very desirable either. Private school is the way to go in KW. It is pretty trendy now though.

Alamo Heights looks like the better choice, AH ISD is very good as well.

If want to consider country living, LaVernia or Floresville may be worth looking in to. Both are nice safe towns with good schools. You could basically build your dream home in either town.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatpenny View Post
Welcome Fellow Texan!!
Thanks from Houston now, soon to be from SA!

Old 04-04-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA_Resident View Post
Wow. You can get a lot of house with $500k in the SA area. But your case is a bit tricky since the job is in Brooks City and you want a close-by, safe area, good ISD but small place. Pretty unique situation.

If you're into older fixer uppers, then King William may work. Me personally I'm not a fan since the houses are really old there. The ISD isn't very desirable either. Private school is the way to go in KW. It is pretty trendy now though.

If want to consider country living, LaVernia or Floresville may be worth looking in to. Both are nice safe towns with good schools. You could basically build your dream home in either town.
Yes, I also consider our situation little bit tricky, since there is no way I can choose where to work (otherwise working in northern part of town will be easier right?)..

We are not a super fan of older fixer uppers, so KW might be less appealing than AH for us. Is driving from AH to Brook City Base very stressful? I found it takes about half hour on Google Map, not sure how feasible it is in rush hour though...

If commuting within half hour, do we have any areas to live (except KW and AH)?

Thank you so much for your inputs!

Old 04-04-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA_Resident View Post

I guess we want to stay near town for now, so excited to explore a new city!

Old 04-04-2016, 03:05 PM

520 posts, read 778,585 times
As everyone on here will agree - rent before buying. Especially since you don't have kids to worry about disrupting (yet). It will give you a better feel for the different areas as they can vary a fair bit within a few blocks.

Depending on your hours a half hour commute can give you a good chunk of the city to work not to mention out 90W/10E.

It really will be left to what you really want aside from commute time.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyVaquero View Post
As everyone on here will agree - rent before buying. Especially since you don't have kids to worry about disrupting (yet). It will give you a better feel for the different areas as they can vary a fair bit within a few blocks.

Depending on your hours a half hour commute can give you a good chunk of the city to work not to mention out 90W/10E.

It really will be left to what you really want aside from commute time.
Thank you! We will be living in an apt and searching, so it can be a more relaxed process.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:35 PM

41 posts, read 69,730 times
Welcome to San Antonio! I've lived here 15 years and love it. Originally from New Mexico but have lived all over. My boyfriend moved here last year from Houston and he laughs when I say something about having to drive clear across town to get somewhere. San Antonio traffic is nothing compared to Houston. : ) You will definitely want to drive from the area you are interested in to Brooks City Base to see for yourself but I think it's probably do-able in 30 to 40 minutes. I don't think you will find suitable housing in that area. And yes, $500k will buy you a very nice house in San Antonio.

Sherry

Old 04-04-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryM78218 View Post
Welcome to San Antonio! I've lived here 15 years and love it. Originally from New Mexico but have lived all over. My boyfriend moved here last year from Houston and he laughs when I say something about having to drive clear across town to get somewhere. San Antonio traffic is nothing compared to Houston. : ) You will definitely want to drive from the area you are interested in to Brooks City Base to see for yourself but I think it's probably do-able in 30 to 40 minutes. I don't think you will find suitable housing in that area. And yes, $500k will buy you a very nice house in San Antonio.

Sherry

Traffic here is horrible in Houston, and it is getting worse through out the eight years I've been living here. Same 15 miles might be easier in SA, we just need to try it out in a normal rush hour day. but I am looking at the map, and thinking maybe AH is the farthest we can go... and they have some cute and nice sub $500k houses on the market now

Thank you so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio