U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 02:38 PM

529 posts, read 1,856,785 times

Advertisements

I'm getting ready to move and I'm trying to get rid of as much unnecessary stuff as I can. I spent 20 years in the military and I can't believe how much stuff unneccessarily had my social security number on it.

Anyway.. my paper shredder gave out (couldn't handle the workload). Since I'm moving and downsizing, I don't want to buy a new shredder right now. Is there some place I can go and shred a bunch of papers? I tried just ripping them, but my fingers got tired real fast.

I checked with the Office Depot, Office Max, and UPS Store that were closest to me. They said no. I'd prefer something on the North East side (Windcrest).

I don't trust those peopel who come and pick up your papers. How do I know they don't look at my stuff before shredding it. How do I know they shred my stuff at all? Maybe they haul it to a dump??

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 04:28 PM

3,105 posts, read 6,212,350 times
I googled "paper shredding san antonio" and quite a few companies came up.
Here is one that comes to your home and shreds right there in their truck.

DocuGuides.com

Old 02-11-2008, 05:46 PM

529 posts, read 1,856,785 times
Thanks. I called about 6 or 7 of those companies. None if them will let me do the shredding myself. Several of them would let me watch. But I prefer to not have strangers handle my sensitive papers. I want to put them in the shredder the shredder myself. I checked this companies webpage - they are the same. They invite you to watch, but I'd be much more comfortable doing it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malone View Post
I googled "paper shredding san antonio" and quite a few companies came up.
Here is one that comes to your home and shreds right there in their truck.

DocuGuides.com

Old 02-11-2008, 09:12 PM

3,060 posts, read 5,031,257 times
Are you still military or have access? Ask around on base - where I worked almost every desk had a shredder. Another place I worked was clearance restricted, they had bags and bags of the stuff that went into shredders daily! You might be able to talk someone into letting you shred your stuff....

Old 02-11-2008, 09:30 PM
djw

951 posts, read 1,944,287 times
can you mulch it yourself? Maybe tryp dumping water and coffee grounds in a bucket and churn it up little by little? Messy, but effective...in theory at least!
Or maybe have a little fire in your grill? Being mindful of winds and drought conditions, of course.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:45 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,216,897 times
Ask a friend that has a fireplace if you could put your pyromaniac skills to use to dispose of the material.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:12 AM

126 posts, read 284,643 times
The HEB at 1604 and 281 has a coin operated shredder... when I saw it I thought it was kind of a stupid idea but after reading your post I guess it makes a lot of sense. Might want to call to se if its still there.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:25 AM

3,105 posts, read 6,212,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmanm View Post
Ask a friend that has a fireplace if you could put your pyromaniac skills to use to dispose of the material.
NEVER put paper in your fireplace. That is a good way to start a chimney fire.
Good idea though on burning the papers, I just wouldn't do it in my fireplace.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:29 AM

1,245 posts, read 2,216,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malone View Post
NEVER put paper in your fireplace. That is a good way to start a chimney fire.
Good idea though on burning the papers, I just wouldn't do it in my fireplace.
Oops, good point.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:01 AM

330 posts, read 887,523 times
It's a few hours drive, but Enron in Houston has a good history with that sort of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio