U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 12:49 PM

6,276 posts, read 9,043,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBaby View Post
Everyone has prejudice. It's human nature. No one is immune.

San Antonio is overwhelmingly Hispanic, to a point where it can impeded on other culture's ability to find a voice. While I love many things about this city, the true lack of multiculturalism isn't one of them. I believe that will change in time, but it's slow coming and as we all know, SA is not a city of quick change.
I agree - the thing is what you DO with that prejudice. Do you acknowledge it and work PAST it, or lapse into it? Me, I prefer to work past it.

With family that's been in the area since the 1830's, my German heritage is sometimes bothered by the total lack of acknowledgement of the great impact on the city by those German's who immigrated here. But - it's tempered by the fact that tourism marketing always goes for the easy sale in niche markets. Many folks would be amazed by the huge amount of architecture and civic improvements brought about by SO many nationalities in the city of SA. My great-great-great Grandfather actually organized the Little Church of La Villita in the early 1870's, as well as having founded (what is now) Travis Park Methodist Church along with John Wesley DeVilbiss and 7 other men.

So, yeah - more diversity WOULD be nice - but it is what it is. No sense in being all worked up about it.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 01:08 PM

5,632 posts, read 6,449,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
.....and I LOVE eating on the South and West sides!
We think alike here.....except I can't say I have eaten much on the far West side. Mostly South side and there are some good places to be found.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:27 PM

72 posts, read 77,633 times
Many posters are saying that race, color or culture of a community should not be a big deal, because we are all humans. Sounds good in theory but I suspect Hispanic people who lived in San Antonio all their lives would feel uncomfortable in a community that was all White.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:37 PM

5,632 posts, read 6,449,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my post View Post
Many posters are saying that race, color or culture of a community should not be a big deal, because we are all humans. Sounds good in theory but I suspect Hispanic people who lived in San Antonio all their lives would feel uncomfortable in a community that was all White.
Ok, so now that you told us what you suspect....can you also share what the point of this thread is?

Old 04-11-2016, 02:39 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,988,705 times
The dominant culture of San Antonio is "San Antonian", pretty unique actually.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:42 PM

11,941 posts, read 12,836,764 times
Quote:
Ok, to be fair if you take anyone of any color/race and put them in a community with everything but their color/ race they will be a tad uncomfortable.

I was born here, spent many years overseas and a military dependent alternating here and overseas every 2-3 years. The only time I see prejudiced is when it's brought up. Like in this thread. People aren't born noticing others being different. It's only as we grow up and it's pointed out that it all begins.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:00 PM

114,171 posts, read 54,213,408 times
Quote:
As I see it culture not color is most likely to present problems. The face of San Antonio has changed drastically over the past 40-50 years. I think we all get along quite well here despite some animosities.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:03 PM

520 posts, read 604,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
We think alike here.....except I can't say I have eaten much on the far West side. Mostly South side and there are some good places to be found.
Unfortunately, there isn't much for non-chain restaurants on the far west side....yet. Plenty of chain restaurants though. Thankfully things are changing and slowly but surely some mom and pop's and local chains are popping up.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:11 PM

874 posts, read 1,165,513 times
Quote:
I whole heartedly disagree. I am white, but if I went to a Wal Mart on the south side and every customer there might be Hispanic, I wouldn't feel at all uncomfortable. I also believe the reverse is true. I do believe San Antonio is somewhat unique in ethnic relations in that we are extremely colorblind. I can't prove it, but I believe that the heavy military presence in the city is a major factor in that. San Antonio, in general, is the same experience I had in the military...where people care more about the content of your character than in anything else about you.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:49 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,384,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybolt View Post
I whole heartedly disagree. I am white, but if I went to a Wal Mart on the south side and every customer there might be Hispanic, I wouldn't feel at all uncomfortable. I also believe the reverse is true. I do believe San Antonio is somewhat unique in ethnic relations in that we are extremely colorblind. I can't prove it, but I believe that the heavy military presence in the city is a major factor in that. San Antonio, in general, is the same experience I had in the military...where people care more about the content of your character than in anything else about you.
^^^ TRUTH^^^ I also think that the heavy military population has a lot to do with the "acceptance" factor in SA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or