U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-12-2016, 12:30 PM
 
Location: San Diego CA>Tijuana, BC>San Antonio, TX
4,153 posts, read 4,122,863 times
Reputation: 3449

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by my post View Post

If you are not Hispanic in San Antonio are you an outsider? (Like Miami or large parts of Southern CA)
No, I have white friends who grew up in the South Side surrounded by Hispanics. They are a minority but certainly are not seen as outsiders nor do they feel like outsiders. They ate barbacoa on Sundays just like the rest of us. But I am referring to the South Side.

A person who was not raised in this environment, I would imagine, would feel like an outsider thus making themselves one. If you are worried about not fitting in, just get a home North of Loop 410 where the demographics shift drastically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-12-2016, 12:41 PM
 
Location: New Braunfels, TX
6,259 posts, read 8,996,369 times
Reputation: 6347
Quote:
Originally Posted by my post View Post
Yes I found the people in Texas very friendly but I still am concerned about moving to a place where I am a minority.
If you're THAT afraid, build yourself a "safe spot". Sorry - but when I'm looking at another community, the racial make-up is the least of my concern. There's plenty of "trash" in any ethnicity, in my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2016, 12:42 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
7,629 posts, read 14,347,560 times
Reputation: 18705
Quote:
Originally Posted by my post View Post
Yes I found the people in Texas very friendly but I still am concerned about moving to a place where I am a minority.
Well, since YOU said you have traveled extensively in this area and find people so very friendly, why not just ENJOY and accept it vs trying to find something that is not there??? You will never know unless you try.

We ARE different. When our SPURS win we do not riot and loot and burn cars and act stupid! WE CELEBRATE!!!!

When something sad happens, we do not march and threaten, burn down stores and divide, we unite and support.

When our neighbors/friends have weather related catastrophes, we do not loot and steal, we share and help them rebuild and volunteer.

I an not Hispanic, but have NEVER felt uncomfortable here, either growing up here or as a senior citizen that I am now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2016, 01:41 PM
 
1,596 posts, read 1,109,232 times
Reputation: 2398
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
We are separated more by income than by ethnicity.

As people on the south side move up in income they move north where the housing stock is nicer and more expensive.

South side zip code of 78221
Median home value $81,200
AGI of residents $29,581 (Individual Income Tax Returns)

South side zip code of 78210
Median home value $73,000
AGI of residents $29,850 (Individual Income Tax Returns)

North side zip code 78232
Median home value $188,700
AGI of residents $82,410 (Individual Income Tax Returns)

North side zip code 78258
Median home value $279,700
AGI of residents $118,657 (Individual Income Tax Returns)

All info is from right here on city data.
I don't see how the statistics you posted support your claim that southside residents move north when their income goes up. It may or may not be true. Your statistics just show that some zip codes have higher incomes and housing prices than others.

Anecdotally, I'm a white person living in the southside, and I'm struck by how many people stay in the southside. Many of my neighbors have lived here for 30+ years, when they could have afforded to move, because they want to stay close to their families. I see lots of cases where people fix up and expand their house way beyond the value of the neighborhood because they don't want to leave. Something else I like is that family members tend to cluster in the same neighborhood. One family on the next street owns five houses in a row.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2016, 01:50 PM
 
5,623 posts, read 6,413,241 times
Reputation: 3593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
I don't see how the statistics you posted support your claim that southside residents move north when their income goes up. It may or may not be true. Your statistics just show that some zip codes have higher incomes and housing prices than others.

Anecdotally, I'm a white person living in the southside, and I'm struck by how many people stay in the southside. Many of my neighbors have lived here for 30+ years, when they could have afforded to move, because they want to stay close to their families. I see lots of cases where people fix up and expand their house way beyond the value of the neighborhood because they don't want to leave. Something else I like is that family members tend to cluster in the same neighborhood. One family on the next street owns five houses in a row.
I wanted to say the same thing but decided it wasn't worth debating over.....I agree with you that I just don't see how someone can make the claim that majority move north when household income levels rise up. I don't see the correlation in that statement.

Ideally I wouldn't mind moving closer to the Southside as it would cut my work commute time down significantly but I already had my house before I got the job unfortunately so I am staying put for the time being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2016, 02:00 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
7,629 posts, read 14,347,560 times
Reputation: 18705
I agree that is total BS. If we won the lotto today, we would have NO need to move from where we are now. We are happy, settled and content being who we are, where we are and have NO need to upgrade or spend it if we got it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2016, 02:52 PM
 
1,596 posts, read 1,109,232 times
Reputation: 2398
Another observation about housing in the southside -- It's hard to get comps for houses because very few houses sell through realtors and the MLS. They mostly get handed down to the kids, who continue to live there, or sold to other relatives or friends with seller financing. I've never encountered that anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2016, 03:08 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
3,746 posts, read 3,848,584 times
Reputation: 3196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
I don't see how the statistics you posted support your claim that southside residents move north when their income goes up. It may or may not be true. Your statistics just show that some zip codes have higher incomes and housing prices than others.

Anecdotally, I'm a white person living in the southside, and I'm struck by how many people stay in the southside. Many of my neighbors have lived here for 30+ years, when they could have afforded to move, because they want to stay close to their families. I see lots of cases where people fix up and expand their house way beyond the value of the neighborhood because they don't want to leave. Something else I like is that family members tend to cluster in the same neighborhood. One family on the next street owns five houses in a row.
If what you say is true than why are north side zip code incomes rising faster south side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2016, 03:22 PM
 
5,623 posts, read 6,413,241 times
Reputation: 3593
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
If what you say is true than why are north side zip code incomes rising faster south side.
The bigger question is there a decrease in the population of the Southside while this is happening to support your claim?

There are so many people moving into San Antonio from out of the city (and state as well) and usually the first area they look at is the North side. (How often do you see posts on here in regards to people moving here asking about AR, Helotes, Stone Oak, etc?) The increase in population on the Northside is probably due to transplants mostly.

Honestly I am not trying to argue with you here, I am just trying to understand how you make this kind of statement, where is the correlation study to back this up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2016, 03:29 PM
 
1,596 posts, read 1,109,232 times
Reputation: 2398
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
If what you say is true than why are north side zip code incomes rising faster south side.
Probably because the highly skilled and highly paid people moving to SA (medical, biotechnology, defense/intelligence) are moving to the north side (and the Sea World area).

Do you have some evidence that people are fleeing the southside? I don't see a lot of vacant houses in my neighborhood. You seem to want to make a point, but I can't quite figure out what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:22 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top