U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 11:39 AM

7,002 posts, read 10,292,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyVaquero View Post
Social mobility in the U.S. is pretty low as a whole for a while now. SA might see higher rates due to folks from lesser means climbing the ranks in the military here but that wouldn't explain any Southside to Northside migrations as they are mostly out of towners.
Some regions of the U.S. have lower social mobility than others, such as the South. I just don't know where San Antonio stands among comparable cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 12:52 AM

3,751 posts, read 3,875,069 times
Please do not say Austin is diverse. Dallas and Houston are on a whole different level and we all know that.

Old 04-17-2016, 06:35 AM

513 posts, read 1,252,768 times
Some folks assume many don't want to live in town due to ethnicity being the factor. You should be bent over my knee and giving a spanking with a wooden paddle . did you ever think that side of town is prettier and many enjoy the rolling hills vs flat land? When they carve into the hills , I know I personally enjoy the looks of it.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:52 PM

4 posts, read 2,129 times
Angry Last I checked there are White Hispanics smh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Getting along doesn't equate to lifestyle choices. As the city has grown, many folks wanted to buy newer, "nicer" homes. The growth in new building was to the north. Having said that, there are MANY neighborhoods where there's a blend, and others where there's not. That's the choice of those buying/selling.
The last time I checked for the uneducated people, Hispanics can be any race and the majority in the United States claim white/Caucasion. Hispanics can be Black,caucasion ,asian, jewish,muslim,spanish,german etc....Hispanic along with Latino is a ethnicity not a race. smh at people. Just because there is a majority of Hispanics in San Antonio if the majority of them claim white well um do the math...smh I think if more peeps got educated there would be less bias...

Old 07-26-2016, 04:50 PM

6,277 posts, read 9,045,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slawson1977 View Post
The last time I checked for the uneducated people, Hispanics can be any race and the majority in the United States claim white/Caucasion. Hispanics can be Black,caucasion ,asian, jewish,muslim,spanish,german etc....Hispanic along with Latino is a ethnicity not a race. smh at people. Just because there is a majority of Hispanics in San Antonio if the majority of them claim white well um do the math...smh I think if more peeps got educated there would be less bias...
Hopefully, SOMEONE can make sense of the above......no one was making any kind of racial comment per se. That is, until now.....nice first post.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:04 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,432,658 times
Sure the post makes sense redneck.......loosely translated it can be interpreted as a running commentary on San Antonio's social structure concerning the intermingling of languages and ethnicities and race
and- the undereducatedness. and the accompanying ignorance of this condition-----undereducatedness. There we go.
I think. Perhaps what they wrote was not quite what they were thinking.in which case I don't understand it either. The (hole ) rhetorical question posed here in this thread, about is there a hispanic - dominance in the social fabric of San Antonio is questionable anyway.
Texas was won in a war already wasn't it, what kind of baloney is this anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Hopefully, SOMEONE can make sense of the above......no one was making any kind of racial comment per se. That is, until now.....nice first post.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:44 PM

4,157 posts, read 4,736,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my post View Post
Why is the southern part of the city nearly 80% Hispanic if everyone gets along so well? If every white or asian person fit so well in all parts of the city then there would be no areas dominated by one group.
It has nothing to do with race or ethnicity. It has to do with one's socioeconomic status and nothing else. The north side is by far the most affluent quadrant of the city, and it's also the most diverse. Everyone seems to get along fine. Wonder why that is?

The best high schools in the city are also pretty evenly balanced between non-Hispanic whites and Hispanics:

Alamo Heights: 57-38
Reagan: 45-40
Johnson: 44-41

Everybody wants the same things.

If there is any tension at all, it's between affluent Mexican Nationals and local third of fourth generation poorer Hispanics, but even still you don't hear much about that.

By the way, I moved here from probably the whitest area in the country, and NEVER had problem of any kind in 10 years and I've been ALL OVER this city.

Last edited by thenewtexan; 07-26-2016 at 08:56 PM..

Old 07-27-2016, 08:27 AM

4,157 posts, read 4,736,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slawson1977 View Post
http://www.survivinggrady.com/wp-con...avid_ortiz.jpg

http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/200...1B_300_400.jpg

Exactly. Hispanic is not a race. Both of these people are considered Hispanic. I don't understand why that is so confusing for so many people.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:43 AM

75 posts, read 51,353 times
Hearing some comments you'd think SA was part of Mexico. SA has a huge non Hispanic white population. There are literally 400,000 white people in San Antonio, inside the city limits alone, which is larger that the entire city population of New Orleans, Cleveland, Tampa, St Louis, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and Orlando. In other words the white population of SA is larger than the ENTIRE population of all those cities. In the SA Metro area it's close to half of 2.4 million people who are non Hispanic white so there are over 1 million non Hispanic whites in greater San Antonio.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:36 PM

557 posts, read 401,115 times
It's less about the actual population of Hispanics in San Antonio and more about the overall cultural domination, on everything, whether it's appropriate or not. Everything- in one way or another- turns into Fiesta in this city and it doesn't exactly allow SA to foster a more world-class diversity of neighborhoods, ethnicities and accepted different ideas.

I don't say this as something terrible... Just an observation from someone who's lived in many other major cities before coming to South Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or