Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 07:28 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,119,406 times

Advertisements

I've been here a year and I love all the bonita chicas around. Just smile a lot around them. You'll be fine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 10:21 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,390,593 times
Default Hispanic Culture Dominance and Old, San Antone,

I too have lived and traveled away from home here. Yes it is true, anything that can be exploited for commercial gain will be. It is good for the tourist trade to have a claim to make about being culturally diverse here. Though many naysayers make this claim here,
"It ain't diverse." Wah!!!!!!! " Enough!"
Recall the old Texas tourism slogan-
" It's like a whole' nother country." A deep and Texas resonating voice the voice on television proclaimed.
The anti-littering campaign, "Don't mess with Texas."
All are free here to begin any ethnic festivites, festivals and activities from any and all cultures, there are no laws to prohibit this in the United States. The fly in the buttermilk is... that the American culture is too dominant. Dang it.
Except for here. We are different and yet alike. Unique. A destination for millions.
There has to be something, play up the Battle of the Alamo and the noble efforts of the valiant volunteers who met their deaths there at the hands of another country's soldiers. A world famous story.

The old south has only the slaveocracy to play up for the tourist trade. Not much opportunity for enterpreneurs looking to exploit the tourist trade with businesses on a paying basis.

Austin is " The Capital of Country Music."
San Antonio has this, a, uniqueness on a whole number of different levels. This is why we are proclaimed one of "America's unique cities". The Redneck aspect is also a part of this mystique. The hats and the boots.
Bandera just outside of town is " The Cowboy Capital."
We simply have far more to offer up than any annual "Iowan Corn Festival" to build a tourist destination
from.
Miami Beach however- has that subtropical flair in a way Texas can never have, and is one of my favorite destinations.

The little Riverwalk- in the center of a parched, dry area. The Missions. The Gulf Coast. On and on. The Hill Country. It is all quite an interesting claim and the Spanish and Mexicans were here first historically though not prehistorically. Native Americans remain unrepresented. Even though they resided here since 11,000 years ago local paleologists have discovered.

Let the forum choose to ignore this , however, for a minute.

All of this embedded historical and geographic diversity is what makes the city interesting. Diverse to the rest of the country is not the same as what we think of it. Diverse is different, that is all. We don't have any of those people from where ? .......
What people? Preferences ?

Gives it its' own flavor. No other southwestern city can make all of these claims. All of these characteristics and a good, cheap standard of living contribute to make San Antonio into the huge success that it is.

If Texas and San Antonio are indeed a part of the southwest. We are actually a part of the old south, the south central states ("Oklahoma is OK") I guess it is ok, but it is very boring, St Louis is the- "Gateway to the West" . We are categorized into the southwestern U.S states even, this is where I think it belongs, mostly...the aridity of the climate and.... the culture here makes this so. Texas is so huge though that it can not be easily categorized.

It is both about the number of tourists and about the number of Hispanics here, yes which causes the confluence of cultures here. This city is very much a part of the U.S. With its laws, courts, military, customs, language, street and highway signage and cable television channels even.
Texas was taken back into the Union at the point of a gun from the confederacy. This was cultural domination.
So don't b.s. here. This Rebel history is minimized here in the city... however.

Let we at the forum choose to ignore this misguided patriotism also, for a minute.

I am, and I am sure the City Leaders, are, open to any suggestions and ideas to foster a world class diversity for San Antonio ideas you may have. Let the immigrants pour in from the four corners to our destination. We can merely keep on building in all four directions. Perhaps we need another world's fair downtown at the old fairgrounds to show our welcoming attitude. All peoples shall be accepted here in old San Antone. This is how we are.
Maybe a ship channel here should be constructed for the incoming boatloads of immigrants from the gulf coast. A ship channel would be dandy for the future desalination plant we will need to construct someday too.
The salt water would already be here this way and so all we would need is to build the desalination plant itself. NO pipeline to pump fresh water from Corpus would be needed.

Preferably just don't build eastwards. Sounds like a plausible, common sense plan to me. Chinese people could come to build the thing like the railroads of the old west. A China Town is sure to follow.
We need to play down hispanic culture a little too.
Let us not get too carried away with this. Lest it go way too far like two teenagers in the back seat of an automobile. Anything could happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBaby View Post
It's less about the actual population of Hispanics in San Antonio and more about the overall cultural domination, on everything, whether it's appropriate or not. Everything- in one way or another- turns into Fiesta in this city and it doesn't exactly allow SA to foster a more world-class diversity of neighborhoods, ethnicities and accepted different ideas.

I don't say this as something terrible... Just an observation from someone who's lived in many other major cities before coming to South Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio