Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 07:58 AM

72 posts, read 108,203 times

Advertisements

I read online on the US Census site that most people in San Antonio are Hispanic. Though I heard less Spanish on the streets than in the DC area.

If you are not Hispanic in San Antonio are you an outsider? (Like Miami or large parts of Southern CA)

Please discuss the Hispanic side of San Antonio?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 08:12 AM

62 posts, read 83,995 times
San Antonio and all of South Texas is primarily Hispanic. However, there are large pockets of whites that live in San Antonio. Directly south of San Antonio there gets to be fewer and fewer white people. I know I worked in Cotulla, which is about an hour south of San Antonio and it was 99% Hispanic, it's like living in Mexico.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:39 AM

520 posts, read 782,035 times
Short answer yes, San Antonio is hispanic dominated. However, keep in mind that many families are multigenerational American with some families predating the the Republic of Texas.

Do I feel like an outsider? I'm a bad sample subject having spent close to a decade in non-English speaking countries and routinely find myself in checkout lines translating Spanish for a non-English speaking customer to a non-Spanish speaking Hispanic cashier. But no I don't feel like an outsider. San Antonio definitely has it's own flavor. I suppose it would be intimidating for someone from amore homogeneous non-Hispanic population but it really comes down to people's comfort level with change and differences.

A Dominican buddy of mine from the military was in town for a conference. He is married to a Mexican-American and settled down south of where we were stationed in Yuma, AZ - literally 3 blocks from the border in San Luis, AZ. The first thing he remarked about when I picked him up from the hotel was that he was in a restaurant the night before and he couldn't believe his ears. I quote, "I was looking around and all I saw were Mexican people and no one was speaking Spanish - it was weird." So take that as a small measure of how different San Antonio can be from other Hispanic heavy population centers in the U.S.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:31 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my post View Post
I read online on the US Census site that most people in San Antonio are Hispanic. Though I heard less Spanish on the streets than in the DC area.

If you are not Hispanic in San Antonio are you an outsider? (Like Miami or large parts of Southern CA)

Please discuss the Hispanic side of San Antonio?
I have called San Antonio home for my entire life (even tho we lived overseas a long time with the military) and I can honestly say that the majority of people I know that live in San Antonio consider us all to be a member of the same race....HUMAN!

We get along, we like each other and respect each other based on how you act towards others, not based on the color of your skin.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:42 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
I have called San Antonio home for my entire life (even tho we lived overseas a long time with the military) and I can honestly say that the majority of people I know that live in San Antonio consider us all to be a member of the same race....HUMAN!

We get along, we like each other and respect each other based on how you act towards others, not based on the color of your skin.
Spot-on, Paka. I grew up in Leon Valley, and never gave much thought as to what race someone was - just wasn't a big deal in our family. Folks were judged by how they acted, not how they looked. Too many folks today are all hung up on color, IMO.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:50 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
I believe that everyone is racist to some degree. Some are better at hiding it than others.

Just like the mother who claims that she has no issue with color until her precious daughter is dating someone of different color.

Do I feel like an outsider? Depends where I am at in San Antonio. If I am having lunch at La Michoacana on the South Side, being white I feel like an outsider. On the NW side, diversity is a bit more mixed up so I never feel like an outsider there.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:03 AM

898 posts, read 2,563,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
I believe that everyone is racist to some degree. Some are better at hiding it than others.

Just like the mother who claims that she has no issue with color until her precious daughter is dating someone of different color.

Do I feel like an outsider? Depends where I am at in San Antonio. If I am having lunch at La Michoacana on the South Side, being white I feel like an outsider. On the NW side, diversity is a bit more mixed up so I never feel like an outsider there.
Agreed on it depends where you are. But mostly, no. I don't feel like an outsider as a white person in SA.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:11 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post

.....and I LOVE eating on the South and West sides!

Oh, I get "looks" here and there, but I actually watch for them and engage them - 99% of the time, by the time I'm ready to leave I've made a new "compadre", and usually have tips on other good places to eat!

Old 04-11-2016, 11:52 AM

1,038 posts, read 876,275 times
Everyone has prejudice. It's human nature. No one is immune.

San Antonio is overwhelmingly Hispanic, to a point where it can impeded on other culture's ability to find a voice. While I love many things about this city, the true lack of multiculturalism isn't one of them. I believe that will change in time, but it's slow coming and as we all know, SA is not a city of quick change.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:45 PM

514 posts, read 1,441,334 times
I honestly never paid attention to race. I've spent 39 years in so cal and 8 in az and only 5 or so months in San antonio. The folks in Texas are by far nicer then the folks in do cal and az. That's all gonna say about this topic .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio