U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 10:20 AM

54 posts, read 75,682 times

Advertisements

Who has owned or currently owns a mobile home? 2015-16 models

Looking at 17-2000sq ft models.
What are your opinions on them? Need some good feedback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 05:57 PM

532 posts, read 388,780 times
I think an argument can be made for affordability... but that seems to come with a whole lot of sacrifice as to quality in every one I've ever been in, including some of the 'high end' models.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:51 PM

6,256 posts, read 8,972,737 times
Additionally, be prepared to live in it a LONG time - their value drops like a rock while your loan balance doesn't. Frankly, IMO the WORST thing you can do is buy a mobile home at anything near "retail" value.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:56 PM

7,628 posts, read 14,328,495 times
Not to mention weather like last night and a trailer is the LAST place you would want to be!

Old 04-13-2016, 08:59 PM

5,619 posts, read 12,890,403 times
I have a BIL and a close friend that sells them and a bud that owns a mobile home dealership. They'll all pretty much tell you it is a slimeball business. More on that later. You'll find there is a major difference between brands. Palm Harbor is among the best out there and is built just like a stick built home only on a steel frame. They'll have 2x 4 stud construction and trusses for the roof as an example. But they cost about the same as a stick built home. The downside is that they depreciate quick and are a hard sell if you decide to move. Expect to take a major beating on it if selling as nobody wants a used mobile home. There are brands like a Clayton which is a middle of the road quality home. They'll cut corners on the trim, plumbing fixtures, light fixtures and later on you probably won't be able to find parts for those things. A lot of what they build them with will not be at Home Depot, as an example. Replacement parts are a specialty item and can be expensive to replace. They are not very energy efficient even with the additional cost insulation package. Usually the insulation under the house is the first to go and you'll have cold floors. Few will have Low E glass windows. The exterior siding is normally a hardboard which will last about 20 years and then you're out, literally, as the siding is usually an odd size and it's cost prohibitive to replace. Make sure you repaint at least every 5 years and keep the caulking up to date.

On the deal side. NEVER state how much you are going to put down on a mobile home. The cost of the home will go up by the amount of the down payment as they are going to max out the appraisal PLUS your down pay. Assume that the list price is the max appraisal on it. Putting 5 grand down on a list price home of 60,000 will end up in added fees of 5 grand for set up, delivery, steps, loan points, etc. so the contract will be for 65,000. I would strongly suggest you secure your own financing. Get pre-approved at a bank, mortgage company,etc. That way you know exactly how much you can spend. Then shop the online mobile homes sales. You avoid all of the BS and you know exactly what you are getting. These places do not have the overhead of several mobile homes sitting on the lot costing them interest so they can sell for less. It's a factory direct to you kinda deal and it comes will all of the warranties. Only because I know somebody there am I going to post a link to a decent dealership. Investigate them, research the products they carry and make your decision.
About Mobile Homes Direct 4 Less

You didn't state if you own a lot to put it on. That's the best way to do it- already own and have fully paid for the land. If you have to write a land/home package deal expect to take a hit on interest and fees. That's just the way it works in the industry. If you are looking for land or already have it, you'll need sewer or septic to be installed, water run to the site or a well drilled. You'll need electric power run to the site. These are all costs to you- they don't run them for free. Know what those utilities are going to cost before buying and maxing out the credit line. You might be living in a new home with no power, water, or sewer. Yes, I've seen it happen and the sewer side was not a pretty thing to witness.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:14 AM

54 posts, read 75,682 times
Good feedback guys!! I'm looking at the moment and just wanted to read opinions on them. I honestly don't know anyone who lives in one.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:02 AM

847 posts, read 923,042 times
I was raised in mobile homes, RUN!!!!! They are seriously a complete ripoff financially speaking. Even the best built ones aren't worth your hard earned cash. The upkeep alone will suck your wallet dry

Old 04-15-2016, 10:40 PM

I don't know if it is still true or not, but once a long time ago they had a reputation for being "fire traps". Things may have changed, but that was ALWAYS something I was wary of after hearing.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:40 AM

847 posts, read 923,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
I don't know if it is still true or not, but once a long time ago they had a reputation for being "fire traps". Things may have changed, but that was ALWAYS something I was wary of after hearing.
This is true!! Ours burned down in less than 10 minutes. The only thing left was the frame of one bedroom of a 4 bedroom 2 bath

Old 04-16-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLR210 View Post
This is true!! Ours burned down in less than 10 minutes. The only thing left was the frame of one bedroom of a 4 bedroom 2 bath
THAT ALONE is reason to reconsider in my book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or