Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 11:19 AM

57 posts, read 158,323 times

Advertisements

For people who live in any of the small incorporated cities surrounded by the city of San Antonio, do you mention San Antonio at all when giving your mailing address, or do you only mention the city in question followed by the state and the zip code?
How about when describing where you live, when asked informally?
Thanks in advance for any replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 12:37 PM

174 posts, read 504,906 times
I've lived in both a city and township within San Antonio. Both times I've used San Antonio as my address. I used to get some direct marketing stuff citing Alamo Heights, but by and large, San Antonio is what I used.

As far as the post office is concerned, either will work.

In conversation, I use the name of the city because it is more informative.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:08 PM

483 posts, read 1,562,793 times
The city of Shavano Park recently changed their "preferred" city (i.e., the city used on mailing addresses) from SA to SP. I'm not aware of any other cities that have done this. This isn't limited to SA either, btw, if you live in Highland Park or University Park, for instance, your mailing address will most likely be Dallas. I do know that if I lived Alamo Heights or somewhere like that, I'd totally be putting Alamo Heights, TX on my mailing address, because what's the point of living in an upscale suburban city if youre gonna put "San Antonio" on your mailing labels??

Old 10-16-2007, 01:20 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,437,451 times
Some places that look you up via zip code would always ask "is that Alamo Heights, San Antonio, or Terrell Hills" I always respond San Antonio, for one thing it's true, but I think it would get to my house if I gave any city. Although the post office for 09 is in Alamo Heights. Also if you are shipping some where from a store direct, they base sales tax on the address it's going to. I recently shipped something to my aunt in Converse and the sales tax was still 7.85% versus San Antonio's.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:30 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
I live in 78209 and NOT in Alamo Heights. So the zip doesn't really determine a city. I think the general expectation is if you live within the limits of SA, even in an incorporated city within the city limits, then put SA as your address. The exact neighborhood doesn't really matter with the USPS.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:12 PM

616 posts, read 2,082,908 times
Quote:
How about when describing where you live, when asked informally?
I think most people would use the name of the incorporated city or community they live in. Like, you might tell someone I live in Leon Valley, or I live in Westcreek, or I live in Sonterra, when the community is large enough or well-known enough to help people identify where you are talking about. On the other hand, I notice that if people live in just a normal neighborhood, or in a subdivision that's just a regular-sized development, they are much more likely to say, I live by Madison High School, or in the Med Center.

Fair Oaks Ranch is another one that you sometimes on mailing labels, but I think that's because FOR is really big and is in three counties. I think the part inside Bexar County is considered San Antonio but the parts in Kendall and Comal counties are Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:17 PM

4,147 posts, read 7,999,782 times
Adkins is not incorporated and they put Adkins and not San Antonio on the address. It depends on the post office doesn't.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:23 PM

71 posts, read 282,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor Rigby View Post
Fair Oaks Ranch is another one that you sometimes on mailing labels, but I think that's because FOR is really big and is in three counties. I think the part inside Bexar County is considered San Antonio but the parts in Kendall and Comal counties are Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas.
When entering my address as Fair Oaks Ranch and the zip 78015 over the internet, it often comes back and asks me if I mean Boerne even though I'm in the Bexar County part. No, I don't mean Boerne, but how do you argue with a computer! I just go with the flow...

Old 10-16-2007, 07:28 PM

616 posts, read 2,082,908 times
Yes, FOR is just in a confusing place! Too many different jurisdictions all crash together right there off Fair Oaks Parkway.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:27 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
My bro-in-law operates a mail sorter at the post office. He tells me that the machines that scan the mail at the post office won't care what you use for the city, as long as the zip code is legible and correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio