U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-13-2008, 06:56 AM

604 posts, read 998,419 times

Advertisements

What's your opinion-I want to surprise my kids with a dog, but I am not sure if I should get a big dog (lab,boxer) who will protect the kids and the house- and will also make much bigger messes in our new house during his "training" period. Or get a small dog who will be a good companion, and make much smaller messes! Any advice from big/small dog owners, what are some of the pros and cons? BTW- kids are young- 9 yrs old and 5yr old twins.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 07:21 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,125,087 times
I have both a Boxer and 2 Pugs , would recommend a Pug for your family small dog but strong and playful - look them up and read about them

Old 02-13-2008, 07:32 AM

336 posts, read 555,839 times
I would agree PUG is the way to go. They are great companions.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:34 AM

3,105 posts, read 6,267,930 times
I have toy fox terriors. One weighs 3 lbs, one weighs 8 lbs. I love the fact that when they "mess" it is small. They are outside dogs so it really isn't a big deal but I still don't like "land mines" in my yard.
Jack Russel's are hearty, small dogs and very smart.
As far as protection, I like the fact that my small dogs will bark and let me know when someone is near and then I protect myself with my S&W

Good luck on your choice. If it is going to be an indoor dog I would definitely say to get a small one. But it really just depends on what you like.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:41 AM

4,102 posts, read 6,530,571 times
In most cases (but not all) big dogs tend to be more laid back with children. Kids can get very wound up sometimes and big dogs seem to handle that better. Every dog is different and there are some great, small dogs though.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:45 AM

454 posts, read 56,813 times
I'm a big dog person. That's what I grew up with as a kid. We don't have a dog now just for practical reasons, but all our neighbors have mostly big dogs. My 19-month old LOVES them. She can play with them for hours. She likes the little dogs too (she loves all animals), but the little ones can get a bit hyper and overwhelming.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:48 AM

13,805 posts, read 19,085,448 times
I have a chow, chihuahua, and two chiweenies and will stay with smaller dogs from now on. I love my chow to death, but would never get another one. They are great protection, even though mine is more likely to roll over so you can scratch her belly, but they are also more maintenance and potentially much more of a mess. I can give the other three dogs a bath in half the time it takes just to bathe the chow and she hates hot weather, so we constantly have to get her shaved and that's $75.

Hopefully you have thought this all out. I don't want to preach, but too many dogs suffer from spur of the moment decisions. Also, I'd highly suggest taking one off someone's hands or getting one from the pound or a rescue. My chihuahua came from a coworker and the two chiweenies came from the Alamo Heights Kennel Club. They actually make you fill out an application with references and your vets phone number. It takes a few days and cost $100, but it's for a good cause and they make sure the animal is going to a good place.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:54 AM

8,367 posts, read 13,364,282 times
We currently have two Westies (West Highland White Terriers) and have had a couple of them prior. Great small dog with a big dog attitude. Kid-friendly but very protective, playful and energetic but also likes to sleep quite a bit. Not too destructive but as they are terriers they may dig a little in the yard. But they are also smart so if you let them know that is wrong, they will usually stop. Just and all and out great dog...

Cheers! M2

Old 02-13-2008, 07:58 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,125,087 times
I grew up with Boxers and love them but since adopting my first Pug have decided they are an easier dog to have. Far easier to travel with hotels etc and they are really good with children.
If you are looking for a puppy contact me as we got our second one after a lot of research from a breeder about 2 hours from SA. Daisy is just wonderful due to a good start in life, she is the fawn one.
Attached Thumbnails
Big dog or little dog?-kids-08-014.jpg  

Old 02-13-2008, 08:08 AM

99 posts, read 287,474 times
Also, don't assume a big dog will protect. As someone already said, it depends on the dog. I've had dogs in the past who would have probably let a thief in and pointed him in the right direction if it meant a treat or extra sleep!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio