Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 08:41 AM

303 posts, read 365,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
I use the BCAD values of comparable houses - in my neighborhood it varies so widely (lots of cash sales apparently, and savvy people who have been fighting taxes for years). They can't argue with the values they've listed.
You need to be careful here. If you live in a custom home development, pulling comps in the neighborhood will be a fruitless exercise. BCAD will argue that there is an extremely wide variance between construction types, qualities etc. If you are going to dispute by yourself and use this approach, I'll tell you now that you will lose and they will waive you off with the slight of a hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 08:47 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,555,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
That's true, although they have a very narrow criteria for what qualifies as a comparable property. They also wouldn't accept any of the comps I presented showing BCAD values.

You have a two-car garage, and the comps have only a one-car, or no garage? Can't use those. Another one has a three car garage, but is still lower per square foot? Can't use that one either. Your CDU (Condition/Desirability/Utility) is listed a Average, but the comp is Good? Can't use that one, even though it is less per square foot.

I really felt like I was going up against a stacked deck.
Yeah. I'm in an historic district where each house is distinctly different. I've compared to most of the houses on my street, and others in the neighborhood of similar size and condition. Mostly I've gotten it reduced based on condition. They say we have a "garage" but really it's an old carriage storage not suitable for cars.

I've had mostly good luck the last few years. Prices in my neighborhood have skyrocketed out of control.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:49 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,555,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbcfy View Post
You need to be careful here. If you live in a custom home development, pulling comps in the neighborhood will be a fruitless exercise. BCAD will argue that there is an extremely wide variance between construction types, qualities etc. If you are going to dispute by yourself and use this approach, I'll tell you now that you will lose and they will waive you off with the slight of a hand.
It's worked the last 5 years. I know the houses in my neighborhood very well.

And yes, there is a wide variance. I use those closest to mine in condition (showing photos), size, era built, upgrades, etc. Mostly they bring it down to a 10% increase. So I'm still paying more taxes, but they're adjusting the market value down to 10% rather than 30-60%....

Old 04-26-2016, 11:14 AM

349 posts, read 422,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I live in a neighborhood where age, size, and type of construction varies widely. That could have something to do with it. In that type of circumstance, they could be basing your property value on just one or two recent comp sales.
they actually were not. which is whats more frustrating. though this is how they raise taxes without raising taxes! they were using the entire subdivision sales and then just coming with some number based on median sales price.

Nelson Wolff truly is a wolf in sheep's clothing, since Amezquita is his boy basically and is well known as being aggressive in raising values.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:15 AM

349 posts, read 422,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
I read somewhere awhile back that BCAD is having to make up for lost revenue from commercial properties because many of the big name local businesses such as Valero for many of their retail stores are in litigation with BCAD to get current and past tax values reduced. If I am not mistaken, the article stated all the litigation and tax reductions cost Bexar a lot of money (loss of 9 billion?) so perhaps they are trying to recoup all of that through residential? Even Greg Popovich sued BCAD supposedly.

The average homeowner can't afford to sit in litigation with BCAD though so we must be the low hanging fruit.
that and all of the breaks they have given to businesses to relocate here.

its true, they are trying to fund the city on the backs of residential owners while commercial owners pay a pittance of taxes in terms of % of tax burden based on value.

Old 04-26-2016, 03:40 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Quote:
I read somewhere awhile back that BCAD is having to make up for lost revenue from commercial properties because many of the big name local businesses such as Valero for many of their retail stores are in litigation with BCAD to get current and past tax values reduced. If I am not mistaken, the article stated all the litigation and tax reductions cost Bexar a lot of money (loss of 9 billion?) so perhaps they are trying to recoup all of that through residential? Even Greg Popovich sued BCAD supposedly.

The average homeowner can't afford to sit in litigation with BCAD though so we must be the low hanging fruit.
Valero doesn't own those retail stores. That's a separate company, CST Brands. They might be in litigation with the city for their retail locations, but Valero isn't.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:03 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Valero doesn't own those retail stores. That's a separate company, CST Brands. They might be in litigation with the city for their retail locations, but Valero isn't.
Sorry - but they own the leash that holds the dog........

Old 04-26-2016, 05:26 PM

61,705 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Are you talking about the land market value? If so, was it your first land market value increase in awhile?

My overall value (land and dwelling) went up $40K which I think is ridiculous for a one year increase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
13.3%
Quote:
Originally Posted by justiciability View Post
16.9% here.

Just checked a friend of mine's - a whopping 80% increase!!!
According to bcad, there’s a 10% cap on an annual increase of your house’s taxable appraised value — for those homeowners with a homestead exemption. That means the government cannot raise the taxable value of your house more than 10% of the previous year’s tax bill. Sometimes, the market value is higher than the taxable value. Pay attention to the market value, because if you believe it’s too high and don’t protest it, your taxes will jump the following year. Market value is not bound by a 10% cap. So it’s important to try to knock down the market value, too.
Property Tax Assistance

Old 04-26-2016, 05:44 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Sorry - but they own the leash that holds the dog........
No, they actually don't. Two totally different companies.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:48 PM

4,327 posts, read 7,234,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
According to bcad, there’s a 10% cap on an annual increase of your house’s taxable appraised value — for those homeowners with a homestead exemption. That means the government cannot raise the taxable value of your house more than 10% of the previous year’s tax bill. Sometimes, the market value is higher than the taxable value. Pay attention to the market value, because if you believe it’s too high and don’t protest it, your taxes will jump the following year. Market value is not bound by a 10% cap. So it’s important to try to knock down the market value, too.
Property Tax Assistance
Of course, you have to try to get the market value down to a point where it is below the 10% cap, before you begin to reduce your projected tax increase.

Last year, they proposed an increase in my market value just under 20%. After they rejected the BCAD comps I presented them, and wouldn't accept listing prices of similar properties for sale, all they could do was give me a reduction on the depreciation factor on the improvements, after I showed them evidence that some interior finishes, materials, and fixtures were what could be classified as low-cost, and/or were original to the construction of the house. So I ended up with a 13% increase, instead of almost 20%. But that effort didn't get me any reduction in the projected tax increase.

This year, they are proposing an increase in market value that is even higher than last year's proposed market value, before the protested reduction, and yet another 10% cap. I give up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio