Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 08:55 AM

841 posts, read 1,738,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetowguy View Post
Why havnt you filed for homestead!
I have. It is the appraised (vs. assessed) value that has been jumping. My effective tax increase is limited to just over 10%, but I still protest to try and get the appraised value under that magic 10%. Last year was the first time I have not been successful (though I did get it down from a 22% increase to 12%).

The way the tax system is designed in Texas is broken - those that have helped revitalize older neighborhoods are punished with huge tax increases every year, with longtime home ownership discouraged. I don't mind paying 5% more a year, but 10% is absurd. Yes, I can afford it, but there are many in these gentrifying neighborhoods that can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 09:44 AM

85 posts, read 200,121 times
As long as property taxes are the primary source of income for the local governments and schools, I think gentrification will be problematic for longtime owners. But I'm not sure there's a better solution. I would think that our high property taxes reduce the odds of a housing bubble and I suspect we'll collectively pay the same amount as a city whether it comes in the form of property tax, income tax, or sales tax.

When I was shopping for my last house I looked at various neighborhoods inside 410; some historic and others not. I only scratched the surface (we didn't buy in a historic district) but I read some information on a tax incentive available for homeowners in historic districts. Does anyone have firsthand experience with this?

Old 04-28-2016, 01:51 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,515,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedCoffee View Post
As long as property taxes are the primary source of income for the local governments and schools, I think gentrification will be problematic for longtime owners. But I'm not sure there's a better solution. I would think that our high property taxes reduce the odds of a housing bubble and I suspect we'll collectively pay the same amount as a city whether it comes in the form of property tax, income tax, or sales tax.

When I was shopping for my last house I looked at various neighborhoods inside 410; some historic and others not. I only scratched the surface (we didn't buy in a historic district) but I read some information on a tax incentive available for homeowners in historic districts. Does anyone have firsthand experience with this?
The alternative to gentrification is not something most cities want (blighted inner cities with high crime, dilapidated houses...). But for people who buy what they can afford, based on their income, the jump (my house is now 3x more than we paid for it) in taxes is astronomical. My increase in income tax based on salary would not even come close.

The increase in property value does zero for the people actually living there.

Our efforts to get a tax free for 10 years (which we were told we'd have if we restored the house) pretty much failed. We filed, they ignored...we weren't savvy enough then to know how to fight it.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:53 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,515,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
I have. It is the appraised (vs. assessed) value that has been jumping. My effective tax increase is limited to just over 10%, but I still protest to try and get the appraised value under that magic 10%. Last year was the first time I have not been successful (though I did get it down from a 22% increase to 12%).
I've usually been able to get it down to the 10% increase. So doesn't change what I actually pay, but at least the next year, my baseline is $60-100K lower than it would be if I didn't fight it.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:23 PM

4 posts, read 7,858 times
Is it possible to protest the appraisal to get a reduction? We just moved in and the previous owner never protested while renting out the home. The appraised value is easily $40k above market and around $80k over similar homes nearby.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:33 AM

841 posts, read 1,738,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaLagniappe View Post
Is it possible to protest the appraisal to get a reduction? We just moved in and the previous owner never protested while renting out the home. The appraised value is easily $40k above market and around $80k over similar homes nearby.

If you just bought the home, BCAD will accept the purchase price as proof to lower the appraised value. A neighbor did that just last year.

By the way, the Express News had an article in today's paper. Average residential increase for the area is 7.5%. I will say, however, that the legislative director for the Texas Association of Realtors was very condescending in the article - he did not help their reputation at all. The spokesperson for the appraisal district (the "enemy") actually came across as likeable.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:41 AM

136 posts, read 224,046 times
So does the appraisal value really not affect resale value? My property value went up $10K from last year, but the current value doesn't seem unrealistic and I'm pleased if it's worth that since it dropped initially when the housing market was down. My appraisal value was lower than what I paid for the house at that time. I'm just wondering if I should protest the increase if all it will affect is my taxes or leave it alone.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:50 AM

7,105 posts, read 11,747,687 times
All the appraised value is for is a guess to base your property taxes on. The lower it is, the lower your taxes are. Ideally, it'd be valued a $5, and worth $500k! So, no - the appraised value has NO bearing on what you can sell the property for. Fight 'em each and every time they want to increase it.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:06 PM

790 posts, read 1,873,836 times
Until commercial property is properly valued and taxed....there will be no change. Great EN article quotes --

"The Bank of America building at 300 Convent sold in December 2014 for $105 million. Bexar County had it valued at $57 million.” Bexar County had $19 billion in 2015 commercial valuation tied up in litigation.

Old 04-29-2016, 04:35 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,382,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austindoxie1972 View Post
Until commercial property is properly valued and taxed....there will be no change. Great EN article quotes --

"The Bank of America building at 300 Convent sold in December 2014 for $105 million. Bexar County had it valued at $57 million.” Bexar County had $19 billion in 2015 commercial valuation tied up in litigation.
THIS POST is SOOOOO valid! Unless and until the voters/owners of homes in SA start questions these practices thru their elected officials, EXPECT to pay the offset for these "devalued" properties!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio