Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2016, 10:51 AM

4 posts, read 17,281 times

Advertisements

Our carport was made with out a permit. Our contractor never did fill out the proper permits or paperwork.

Now we are worried that the San Antonio City Inspectors will tell us to take it down.

Also neighbors know that no permit was issued cause it was never posted.

Can the city tell us to take down the carport even after it was made and pay fines or fees.

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 11:11 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
Yes un-permitted structures can be ordered to be removed. Go to the building dept. and tell them what happened and face what consequences, fees and fines they throw at you.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:19 AM

Default Carport Made w/o permit - San Antonio HELP FAST

Yes....that is been done today. Thank you very much for your input.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:17 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,408,536 times
As long as it is correctly set back, just plead ignorance and pay the money.

Why do you have such nosy neighbors?

Old 04-28-2016, 01:04 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
Unless the structure is not sound, they won't make you take it down. Even if the structure is on an easement it won't have to come down. You'll have to get a variance which is thru an attorney and of course, pay money. They don't really care downtown where it's at on the property, they just care about putting as money as possible in the city's bank account. You got the money, you can get away with almost anything in San Antonio. Unless you just don't have the bucks, I'd chat with an attorney first. This may be as simple as applying for a homeowner permit and it could end up costing thousands. I would NOT allow the clowns downtown to determine your future as all they care about is extracting as much money from you as possible. Call an attorney first. Most do not charge for consultation and that may be all you need.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:03 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Is it a portable carport ? (kit / can be moved)

Or is it 'real estate' / permanent structure?

Old 04-28-2016, 03:44 PM

287 posts, read 363,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Unless the structure is not sound, they won't make you take it down. Even if the structure is on an easement it won't have to come down. You'll have to get a variance which is thru an attorney and of course, pay money. They don't really care downtown where it's at on the property, they just care about putting as money as possible in the city's bank account. You got the money, you can get away with almost anything in San Antonio. Unless you just don't have the bucks, I'd chat with an attorney first. This may be as simple as applying for a homeowner permit and it could end up costing thousands. I would NOT allow the clowns downtown to determine your future as all they care about is extracting as much money from you as possible. Call an attorney first. Most do not charge for consultation and that may be all you need.
The structure being sound is not the only factor. A variance is obtained from the Board of Adjustment and is not guaranteed. They will vote on it and may deny it. The burden is on the homeowner to prove hardship and other factors. In my experience when I used to do this cases 20 years ago, f your structure is in the setback area you were almost guaranteed to be denied.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:46 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
Sorry Zone but yer clueless. Case in point, a house built on a corner lot that the foundation was 2 feet from the curb at the back corner. This was determined right after slab pour. If you were correct, the city would have had the builder remove the foundation and put it back on the lot correctly. A nice check of 10 grand cured the issue. Like I said, all they want downtown is the money. Show them the money and do what you want. Been like that for the last 55 years I've been in the game here. I can list a bunch of variances including commercial buildings if you like, some are a recognized safety hazard that they passed. One of which was a building I owned. That one cost me a backhoe for a few hours to dig a hole for a swimming pool in somebodys back yard. Guess who?

Old 04-28-2016, 09:10 PM

It is a permanent structure. The setback is 10 ft. So carport is 8 ft,. into the setback.

If it was built within the 10 ft. setback, my cars would not fit.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:37 PM

287 posts, read 363,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Sorry Zone but yer clueless. Case in point, a house built on a corner lot that the foundation was 2 feet from the curb at the back corner. This was determined right after slab pour. If you were correct, the city would have had the builder remove the foundation and put it back on the lot correctly. A nice check of 10 grand cured the issue. Like I said, all they want downtown is the money. Show them the money and do what you want. Been like that for the last 55 years I've been in the game here. I can list a bunch of variances including commercial buildings if you like, some are a recognized safety hazard that they passed. One of which was a building I owned. That one cost me a backhoe for a few hours to dig a hole for a swimming pool in somebodys back yard. Guess who?
Clueless? I may be 15 years out of the game but I can guarantee you I'm not clueless. The question was specific about carports, not commercial buildings. If you built a carport without a permit, you can get it rectified by filing for the permit and paying a penalty, provided you didn't violate the zoning requirements. If you are in violation of the zoning requirements, typically the setbacks, you need to get a variance from the Board of Adjustment. The Board of Adjustment is an independent panel whose members are appointed by the councilperson from each district. They decide whether you meet the requirements for a variance, one factor is whether or not you have a hardship that supports the variance. You may have experience downtown, but I sat through many BOA cases at the Department of Development Services One-Stop and probably heard several dozen carport cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: