U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 08:03 AM

5,632 posts, read 6,445,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
So, they may exist, but you are unaware of them (above your pay grade).
Pancho....based on what I have read online about quotas it is my guess that Police departments get around this by reviewing the "productivity" of the officer monthly or yearly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 11:03 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,556,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Pancho....based on what I have read online about quotas it is my guess that Police departments get around this by reviewing the "productivity" of the officer monthly or yearly.
Does that mean that the officer is aware of this (being reviewed)? Or is it done without his/her knowledge (above his pay grade)?

Old 06-03-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
Of course it is possible. None of us know what we don't know. But again, the statement "they all...." is factually untrue. I know for a fact how my agency works.
As far as you know, your agency works a certain way, but there may be things going on behind the scenes that you are unaware of. There are tons of things that go on behind the scenes with regards to my staff, but they would never know. In reality,there could be quotas within your agency, just are just unaware of them. Assuming you are just a regular officer, sergeant etc...and not senior management.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:10 AM

5,632 posts, read 6,445,424 times
Quote:
Does that mean that the officer is aware of this (being reviewed)? Or is it done without his/her knowledge (above his pay grade)?
From what I understood, they are aware and even in some cases rewarded for "productivity".

Old 06-03-2016, 11:21 AM

I see. I bet there are other agencies out there where these "quota's" are played close to the vest with senior management being the only ones actually aware. I have a good friend that's Chief of Police. I'm going to ask him. His agency is out of state..but I'm interested to hear his thoughts on this.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:13 PM

6,274 posts, read 9,037,947 times
I'm aware of the policies of several departments. Quota's are a BIG no-no. They DO review citations and warnings as a measurement of officer activity, along with other contact reports. In the two departments I'm familiar with, they frankly don't care about the "revenue" - they just want to see that the officer is doing a good job. What So many fail to realize is that NONE of us are "perfect" drivers. If they WANTED to simply issue tickets, it would be a piece of cake to do so. "They have a quota!" is the common battle cry of those that are looking for someone else to blame for their bad driving habits.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:46 PM

...but what about all of the quotas that have been exposed, particularly by ex cops...and lawsuits won over said quotas? They don't count? Yes, it's an easy battle cry, but some can't see the forest through the trees. Policies are one thing...we all know that what really happens is another.
IMHO, they exist in some places and don't in others, even though there are laws against it. It's a dirty secret that not many ( in the LEO business) want to talk about.
Just launched an email to my Chief buddy...I'll report back on what he says. His dept is rather small..I would say no more than 50 officers.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:24 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,216,725 times
Quote:
As far as you know, your agency works a certain way, but there may be things going on behind the scenes that you are unaware of. There are tons of things that go on behind the scenes with regards to my staff, but they would never know. In reality,there could be quotas within your agency, just are just unaware of them. Assuming you are just a regular officer, sergeant etc...and not senior management.

You can create all the magical scenarios you want that make you right. There are no quotas at my agency.

It is a simple thing to observe as a truth. We have patrol officers that may write 10 tickets a year. No one cares, as long as they are making traffic stops and logging them, along with responding to calls and any other police issues that arise.

That is productivity. Certainly you want the police to prove they provided some work/value for their shift. At my agency a handful of warnings and call logs from calls for service satisfy "productivity." No one cares if you write warnings or tickets and it is illegal to set or even suggest a quota.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:35 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,216,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
I'm aware of the policies of several departments. Quota's are a BIG no-no. They DO review citations and warnings as a measurement of officer activity, along with other contact reports. In the two departments I'm familiar with, they frankly don't care about the "revenue" - they just want to see that the officer is doing a good job. What So many fail to realize is that NONE of us are "perfect" drivers. If they WANTED to simply issue tickets, it would be a piece of cake to do so. "They have a quota!" is the common battle cry of those that are looking for someone else to blame for their bad driving habits.

You bring up another truth, I could write tickets non stop from the moment I hit the streets until the end of my shift. I could do this every shift (outside of calls for service) and for the most part, so could every street cop every where. Most cops know there is simply no need. Most cops hate writing tickets and most cops have a pretty generous line they will usually not write a ticket until it is crossed. A positive contact can often do more than a ticket and sometimes a ticket is needed. People talk about revenue but fail to realize most of the things the police do cost money, not make it.

Sure, of the tens of thousands of police departments in this country, sometimes a few step out of line. Most are doing the right thing every day.

Having said that, some cops like writing tickets. (most every cop has something that they are "all about" I have no mercy on handicap spots) Some cops are specifically tasked to "traffic" patrol and their job is traffic enforcement.....and they are not wrong for it. The traffic laws are not secret.

Old 06-03-2016, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
You can create all the magical scenarios you want that make you right. There are no quotas at my agency.

It is a simple thing to observe as a truth. We have patrol officers that may write 10 tickets a year. No one cares, as long as they are making traffic stops and logging them, along with responding to calls and any other police issues that arise.

That is productivity. Certainly you want the police to prove they provided some work/value for their shift. At my agency a handful of warnings and call logs from calls for service satisfy "productivity." No one cares if you write warnings or tickets and it is illegal to set or even suggest a quota.
We all know it's illegal. It's illegal to speed and park in handicapped zones without a placard as well (but it happens everyday).
No magical scenarios needed, you just may not be in the know, and that's ok. Since you seem to "defend at all costs" like many others on this forum, I'll bow out. It's my opinion. and you're not going to change it anytime soon. Keep doing your job, and stay safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or