U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 04:44 PM

7,628 posts, read 14,320,356 times

Advertisements

Once you have "plugged into" and your provider knows you and you he or she, you will appreciate this connection.

I am the oldest of 4 kids....lost my sister to cancer (who I cared for the last 2 yrs of her life); my momma to old age (87); MY only brother was shot and killed in the line of duty in 1999.

That leaves me the OLDEST, yet ONLY surviving of us all. I struggled with this until last night. Called my PCM last night (almost 3pm) and asked for the possibility of an apt....she IMMEDIATELY called back and ordered most definite meds to help me thru this loss/pain/suffering until I can meet with her.

Having the right connection with your provider, knowing that she KNOWS and understands what you have delt with is soooo very important. She called in the meds I need and while numb right now, KNOW she has helped me thru this most difficult of times. I will find my footing again and be ok, but she knew my history, my loss and what I needed (plus the fact that she trusted I was not drug seeking) and did not even make me come in to get what was needed. THAT is the kind of connection and personal relationship you need to find with your provider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 11:32 AM

1,410 posts, read 1,862,717 times
I ditched my family doctor after his staff refused to let me see him as I had a recurring pain, that his PA was clueless on. No appointments for a month. Go to TX Med clinic instead, they said. So, I quit that practice.

They were quite rude over the phone.

Old 05-18-2016, 02:16 PM

163 posts, read 266,204 times
iMed Stone Oak. Not sure if too many of them are still enrolling patients, but worth it if you can get in.

Also, if you're looking to avoid the current reality of medical practice, maybe consider going concierge?

Old 05-19-2016, 10:29 AM

351 posts, read 446,524 times
Most every doctor will tell you they are being absolutely slammed by the federal requirements regarding electronic record keeping. That and the pressure to generate enough income to pay the additional staff needed pull the doc away from what he went to med school for, which is practice medicine.

Of course, there are just some docs who don't have a "bedside manner" and never will.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:02 AM

4 posts, read 8,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
I love Dr Naron of North Hills Family Care. He will listen to anything you want to talk about. I usually go in there with a list. Lol.

Never had a billing problem with his office. I have noticed that the office staff does very little smiling, but that may be because I typically schedule as early as possible.

My only issue with his practice is that he splits his time between multiple offices and there doesn't appear to be a central point of communication with his office staff. So, if say you're in need of a refill, he won't make you come back in the office, but you better think of it with at least 3 business days lead time.
Love Northern Hills, my daughter sees Dr Earp he is wonderful.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:20 PM

14 posts, read 8,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrplayer View Post
Any one in the Stoneoak area?? I know of Dr. Dickson, but he is ALWAYS behind and takes FOREVER to see you. However, like a previous post... it may be worth the wait once you get back there right?
After moving to SA four years ago, I've gone through hell trying to find a GP. We have really crummy insurance and choices are very limited. I've seen one of the doctors mentioned in another post (Dean Earp) and was treated very rudely by his staff. When I told Dr. Earp about it, he was very defensive and suggested I might be happier at another practice! At this point in my life, I refuse to pay people to treat me badly so I happily complied.

I am now on Doctor #5 and I think I've finally found the right one. Michelle Aliotta works in the Baptist MedFirst office on Stone Oak Pkwy. She's fairly young, but knowledgable. I was blown away during my first appointment when she asked "have we covered all of your concerns?" In each of my subsequent appointments she has done the same. She's thorough, caring, and her office staff is better than most.

Good luck in your search!

Old 08-13-2016, 03:18 PM

3,927 posts, read 4,676,961 times
About looking for a doctor in a small town, many of those also have an office in the city and they go back and forth. So don't just assume it's a small town doctor like the old days. The old days are gone, for the most part. In present day medicine, most doctors have to see a lot of patients and spend less time with them in order to pay for all the expenses of an office and staff that can handle all the endless paperwork/computer work and problems that private and government coverage require. Not to mention, many owe a LOT of money by the time they go into private practice, and it's harder to pay that debt off than it used to be. Not to excuse the limited time spent with each patient or lack of really talking to them...just sayin'...I know some doctors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio