U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 08:03 AM

6,257 posts, read 8,988,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
This really goes both ways. Most people don't treat officers like dicks but the officers with attitudes can change how people feel about them.
Nowadays, many feel like they can give whatever kind of attitude they want to a cop, and the cop should take it without recourse. They're humans, too. I spent many a year on the road, and on the few occasions I encountered LEO's with a less-than professional attitude I maintained my respect for what they represented. In every instance, the situation turned around. Who knows - maybe the prior stop was with a jerk, maybe it was an accident in which they had to remove the body of a lifeless child from the wreckage. All I know is that the job they do is often unpleasant, and ALWAYS potentially life-threatening. IF they were ever to go far enough to make it a real issue, I'll go visit their chief or mayor and address my issues with them. You'll never "win" an argument on the side of a highway, and you just MIGHT turn an officers' day around by remaining civil. They're human - not machines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 08:34 AM

5,623 posts, read 6,407,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Nowadays, many feel like they can give whatever kind of attitude they want to a cop, and the cop should take it without recourse. They're humans, too. I spent many a year on the road, and on the few occasions I encountered LEO's with a less-than professional attitude I maintained my respect for what they represented. In every instance, the situation turned around. Who knows - maybe the prior stop was with a jerk, maybe it was an accident in which they had to remove the body of a lifeless child from the wreckage. All I know is that the job they do is often unpleasant, and ALWAYS potentially life-threatening. IF they were ever to go far enough to make it a real issue, I'll go visit their chief or mayor and address my issues with them. You'll never "win" an argument on the side of a highway, and you just MIGHT turn an officers' day around by remaining civil. They're human - not machines.
Well put.... I just wish people on both sides of the fence would treat others with respect.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:11 AM

6,257 posts, read 8,988,285 times
Quote:
Well put.... I just wish people on both sides of the fence would treat others with respect.
Absolutely!! 99% of my contacts with LEO's have been with respect shown from the start on the part of the LEO.

You ever want a better understanding of just what's involved, ask to go on a ride-along. It would be an eye-opener for most.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:45 AM

73 posts, read 44,963 times
Cops are paid ridiculously low wages and exposed to criminals who won't hesitate to fire shots at them on daily basis. So i don't envy their job. In many civilized countries being a police office is a prestigious job and not easy to get in. Here in the USA being a cop is an occupational hazard. just the other day a cop (father of three) was shot and killed by a traffic stop driver. It is absolute insanity the level of violence present here.
-One thing that shocks me here is so many people here TEXT and DRIVE,Everyday I look around and 90% of drivers are on their phones either talking or texting. This is so dangerous and distracted driving is the major cause of fatal accidents.
i don't see the cops enforcing this. Insurance companies need to do what others are already doing, get the driver cell phone records and see if they were on the phone and if they were, 100% at fault. I would never dream before of even touching my phone while driving but unfortunately common practice here.
-I see so many cars on the road with smashed up sides, missing fenders, front ends, back ends, head lights and back lights. I don`t remember ever seeing cars like that in third world countries.
- Don`t get me started on the trash on the roads.........come on San Antonio !!!!! BE CLASSY

Old 05-27-2016, 09:55 AM

1,202 posts, read 823,549 times
Sorry but a person chooses to be a police officer. If they don't like the stress or being at risk to be killed then they need to find another line of work. I do customer service, I don't get to be a jerk just because I don't enjoy everything about my job.

Old 05-27-2016, 05:30 PM

513 posts, read 1,249,240 times
Quote:
This really goes both ways. Most people don't treat officers like d**ks but the officers with attitudes can change how people feel about them.
Bingo, we have a winner

Old 05-27-2016, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
They spend their entire day dealing with the risk they may get killed and dealing with people who hate them. I would have a hard time being pleasant too.
Interesting.so they get an out. Te ones I spoke to, I started the convo off with " excuse me sir, can I ask you a question?" That should have put them in relax mode, but it didn't.

Old 05-27-2016, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormNinja View Post
Cops are paid ridiculously low wages and exposed to criminals who won't hesitate to fire shots at them on daily basis. So i don't envy their job. In many civilized countries being a police office is a prestigious job and not easy to get in. Here in the USA being a cop is an occupational hazard. just the other day a cop (father of three) was shot and killed by a traffic stop driver. It is absolute insanity the level of violence present here.
-One thing that shocks me here is so many people here TEXT and DRIVE,Everyday I look around and 90% of drivers are on their phones either talking or texting. This is so dangerous and distracted driving is the major cause of fatal accidents.
i don't see the cops enforcing this. Insurance companies need to do what others are already doing, get the driver cell phone records and see if they were on the phone and if they were, 100% at fault. I would never dream before of even touching my phone while driving but unfortunately common practice here.
-I see so many cars on the road with smashed up sides, missing fenders, front ends, back ends, head lights and back lights. I don`t remember ever seeing cars like that in third world countries.
- Don`t get me started on the trash on the roads.........come on San Antonio !!!!! BE CLASSY
Low wages? 40k low to start off.wow. I know a few making over 100k , that must be chump change

Old 06-01-2016, 03:14 PM

73 posts, read 44,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clnconcpts View Post
Low wages? 40k low to start off.wow. I know a few making over 100k , that must be chump change
Check out jobs at the San Antonio Human Resources dept and that will tell you the wages. There is so much violence in this city-approximately 4 homicides every day and the cops are killed and shot at like a target practice by the criminals.

Old 06-01-2016, 03:18 PM

5,623 posts, read 6,407,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormNinja View Post
Check out jobs at the San Antonio Human Resources dept and that will tell you the wages. There is so much violence in this city-approximately 4 homicides every day and the cops are killed and shot at like a target practice by the criminals.
Statements like this really get on my nerves. Anyone who knows me I am one of the last people to be some kind of San Antonio cheerleader, but can you back up this claim or are you just throwing it out there?

4 homicides every day would amount to 1,460 for the whole year which really contradicts the San Antonio area stats shown in the link below:

Uniform Crime Reports

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or