Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 12:56 PM

946 posts, read 1,136,028 times

Advertisements

I'll be driving from Houston and will be taking my wife and baby for the weekend to San Antonio. Can someone recommend which areas to stay ($100 - $170 a night) and family things to do besides the River Walk. I'm looking for nice outdoor venues, great eateries, where to watch safely fireworks.

Any tips on driving there from Houston since I recently moved there from S. Cali.

Thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 02:21 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,063,318 times
Tips on driving here? 10 West all the way in. Stop at Buc-ee's if you have patience.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:38 PM

Which part of SA should I stay? Downtown?

Old 06-21-2016, 03:23 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,248,351 times
What do you plan to do while here? Are you going to Six Flags? Sea World? Do you just want to do the Riverwalk? If you play on staying downtown make sure you budget at least $25.00 (even more if your going to valet park) a day for parking at the hotel.

Old 06-21-2016, 05:24 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
It's pretty hot here, so that limits doing outdoor things in the daytime.

The DoSeum The DoSeum | San Antonio's Museum for Kids and the zoo San Antonio Zoo - Home Page are good places to take toddlers. Six Flags and Sea World are better for kids who are a bit older. I went to Six Flags when one of my kids was a baby and we both got hot, sweaty and sunburned while my husband and our older daughter had a great time going on all the rides.

The main reason to stay downtown as a tourist is so you can drink on the Riverwalk and walk back to your hotel. Since you've got a baby, you're probably not doing that, so don't feel like you have to stay downtown.

As far as fireworks, the city has a big 4th of July event at Woodlawn Lake. http://saparksfoundation.org/events/...y-celebration/ I've never been, so I don't know how crowded it gets. Sea World and Six Flags will have fireworks too. There are also a lot of people setting off smaller fireworks around the outskirts of the city.

Old 06-22-2016, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
What do you plan to do while here? Are you going to Six Flags? Sea World? Do you just want to do the Riverwalk? If you play on staying downtown make sure you budget at least $25.00 (even more if your going to valet park) a day for parking at the hotel.
I have a 3 months old daughter so kinda limited on activities. Preferably very family oriented.

I'd like to stay downtown or other "urban" like safe areas.

Old 06-22-2016, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
It's pretty hot here, so that limits doing outdoor things in the daytime.

The DoSeum The DoSeum | San Antonio's Museum for Kids and the zoo San Antonio Zoo - Home Page are good places to take toddlers. Six Flags and Sea World are better for kids who are a bit older. I went to Six Flags when one of my kids was a baby and we both got hot, sweaty and sunburned while my husband and our older daughter had a great time going on all the rides.

The main reason to stay downtown as a tourist is so you can drink on the Riverwalk and walk back to your hotel. Since you've got a baby, you're probably not doing that, so don't feel like you have to stay downtown.

As far as fireworks, the city has a big 4th of July event at Woodlawn Lake. 4th of July Celebration I've never been, so I don't know how crowded it gets. Sea World and Six Flags will have fireworks too. There are also a lot of people setting off smaller fireworks around the outskirts of the city.

Any areas near a mall/ outdoor mall area to stay the night?

Last edited by Surfertx; 06-22-2016 at 08:14 AM..

Old 06-22-2016, 06:59 PM

108 posts, read 119,557 times
You might try Traders Village. It is not too far from the Marbach 410 area and a straight shot more or less from Houston. It is mostly military but the rooms are clean and cheap and plentiful. That is the area Jimi Hendrix stayed when he was training for the Screaming Eagles. Johnny Cash met his first wife in that Lackland area too. They have an SR71 on display. Traders Village has a lot of stuff going all the time and they always get good crowds. It is a really big flea market with car shows and live bands and even wrestling matches!

Old 06-22-2016, 07:48 PM

166 posts, read 571,440 times
https://www.expedia.com/Hotel-Search...rt=recommended

Old 06-23-2016, 02:23 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
I wouldn't come here from Houston to go to Trader's Village, especially not in the summertime. (I think the Lackland area was a little different when Jimi Hendrix was around and when Johnny Cash was meeting his first wife.) Most of Trader's Village is like shopping across the border, without the danger or the low prices...lots of stuff imported from Mexico and if you look at every 5 stalls, 4 will have identical stuff.

When you're talking about a mall, you just mean a basic shopping mall, right? The good ones here are North Star and La Cantera. La Cantera is very near Six Flags. It's a newer shopping center and some of it is outdoors, but very nicely landscaped, not just a parking lot with a row of stores. There are several hotels and motels in the area. The Westin is supposed to be the nicest but is pricey, and there are other motels nearby. You would be about 15 miles from downtown. An advantage to staying in that area is that you'd be able to see the Six Flags fireworks display on the 4th.

There are lots of motels near North Star too, because North Star is near the airport. It's closer to downtown...maybe 7 or 8 miles.

The Riverwalk is fine to visit with a baby in the daytime. It's pretty much all stroller accessible, but you have to find elevators to get from the street level to the river level or carry your stroller down the stairs. The easiest place to park and access the Riverwalk with a stroller is Rivercenter Mall. The Riverwalk has lots of shade and is tolerable in the summer. You can take a barge ride for sightseeing.

My sister likes to visit Gruene when she comes to town. It's a little ways north on 35, just outside New Braunfels. WELCOME TO GRUENE TEXAS! There are a bunch of little shops she loves to go to there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio