Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 01:30 PM

8 posts, read 54,246 times

Advertisements

Hello - I am not yet familiar with the San Antonio area, but am considering taking a job in the USAA HQ area - looking for suggestions (zip codes would be helpful) for a family-friendly area (have newer subdivisions with houses in the $500-$750K range?) with top-rated public schools (we have young kids), convenient to decent shopping & entertainment, low crime rate, and an easy commute to USAA area (1/2 hr or less drive?). Currently have a fairly new/modern 4000 sq ft home on one acre wooded lot in Ohio (within a 100+ house subdivision in a country-like setting) and I am wondering if we will be able to find something comparable without driving an hour out of the city or paying close to $1 mil or more for it in the San Antonio area (would be OK with lot sizes at least 1/2 acre & a slightly smaller house - but no tract-housing style subdivisions, please). Would love to find an area with kid-friendly neighborhoods that may include amenities such as a (big) community pool, tennis courts, biking paths, recreation/athletic fields, etc - or convenient to a (casual) country club with the similar amenities (pool & tennis) - also, access to city-water, sewer, cable, etc. is a requirement (no wells or septic systems) and deed-restricted neighborhoods are OK. Could anyone provide me with some areas to start researching online? It would be extremely helpful & appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 01:33 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
Since you can afford it, Stone Oak is one of the most affluent areas of the city with the nicest shopping, martini (high class) bars, wine tasting, upscale clientelle, etc. The drive to USAA would be simple, 1604 to I-10 and about 15 minutes... except in traffic. With traffic could be 30 to 40 minutes... worth it to live in Stone Oak!
There are a bunch of subdivisions off of Heubner, in between I-10 and 281 that are only a hop skip and a jump from USAA and are amazing and also affluent. Your price range can get you into some of San Antonio's nicer neighborhoods... IMO.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:35 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
Actually, at the risk of sounding like an idiot, I think you can getting into "The Dominion" for about 750K. I'm sure they have multi-million dollar homes, but starting in the low 700's. This is one of the most exclusive nieghboorhoods in the city, probably THEE most exclusive, with their own country club... even George Straight lives there :-). They are about 5 miles up I-10 from USAA. Check out their website. www.thedominion.com

Old 02-15-2008, 06:47 PM

314 posts, read 2,539,307 times
The Dominion does sound like a good fit for you. Here is a link to homes for sale under 1M.

Dan Eastes Real Estate - Search Results

Old 02-15-2008, 07:34 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Another possibility would be Anaqua Springs Ranch. It's been the site of several Parade of Homes tours in this decade. It's a little farther from USAA than the Dominion, but it has newer homes.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:41 PM

thank you for your listings, but am hoping to find a house closer to $700K or less with a slightly larger lot size (not looking to go back to a 1/4 acre lot - feels too much like tract housing) - are all the lot sizes in Dominion small (less than 1/2 acre) or no?

Old 02-15-2008, 07:45 PM

thank you for the Anaqua Springs suggestion - I like the newer home aspect (and larger lot sizes) but am curious about the price ranges for a house there...

Old 02-15-2008, 08:34 PM

791 posts, read 3,958,977 times
This may be just a tad further out, but you might want to consider looking in Boerne, about 10-15 mins north of 1604 on I-10. Great schools, a little more affordable than some of the exclusive subdivisions being mentioned... you can probably find many choices for the large lot/country atmosphere you're looking for. Only thing I don't know is whether you'd find a "country club" type venue out there. Any NW'ers have thoughts on this?

Old 02-15-2008, 09:05 PM

454 posts, read 504,893 times
I think the Dominion lots are all quite small.

Not sure if they're still selling houses, but the area around Up Mountain Road/Cross Mountain Road all have 1+ acre lots, newer homes, in NISD and except for the really lousy traffic on the road getting to the highway (thanks to the new subdivisions), it's a short trip on I-10 to USAA.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:28 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,423,879 times
Anaqua Springs is going to be out of the range you're looking for. The lowest priced home in there is at $980,000 and it just goes up from there. Dominion might work, but it's got smaller lots, which doesn't sound like what you're looking for. The homes in Dominion with any semblance of land are extremely pricey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio