U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 08:02 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,356,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
...and it's a nice, safe area.
but the OP will die of boredom and complain "there's nothing to do in SA" "San Antonio sucks, it's so dull here."

If suburbia and chains are what the OP likes, then go with those areas out by 1604 and spend your time on the highway driving.If gated communities are the OP's thing, then that may be best. No need to ever get out of your car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 08:16 AM

5,623 posts, read 6,408,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
but the OP will die of boredom and complain "there's nothing to do in SA" "San Antonio sucks, it's so dull here."

If suburbia and chains are what the OP likes, then go with those areas out by 1604 and spend your time on the highway driving.If gated communities are the OP's thing, then that may be best. No need to ever get out of your car.
Cookie cutter suburbia isn't for everyone but then again being all "downtown, crunchy granola, Birkenstock wearing, pruis-driving, two masters degrees in art painting and history" isn't either. At least the latter is more exciting than being in suburbia.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:27 AM

3,742 posts, read 3,842,774 times
If you can jump your budget up to 1250 this place is amazing.

Overview | CityVista San Antonio Apartments For Rent in San Antonio, TX 78212

Old 06-17-2016, 08:51 AM

5,623 posts, read 6,408,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
If you can jump your budget up to 1250 this place is amazing.

Overview | CityVista San Antonio Apartments For Rent in San Antonio, TX 78212
Not sure if I could ever go back to renting, but if I did...I would definitely look at those. That place does look nice.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:02 AM

583 posts, read 1,005,387 times
If you look in the zipcode 78258 and 78260 most apartments will fit your criteria. In San Antonio most apartments come with washer/dryer hookups. Some allow you to rent washer/dryers for a monthly fee but if you do that it is cheaper to buy your own.

Yes you will have a drive to get downtown. It will be more then 20 minutes and there will be traffic depending on the time of day you are commuting.

Not sure of what you like to do for fun or your age but there are a lot of great restaurants in the area that have happy hours and lots of professionals that hangout to socialize. You will see people outside walking, running, etc. There are shopping centers and multiple grocery stores in the area.

San Antonio is built in a way that you have everything you need in your part of town so you aren't having to travel all over the place to get what you need. But if you work out of the area you live you have to commute. My husband and I both commute to work outside the area but we are OK with that.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:42 AM

6,140 posts, read 8,598,808 times
The shavano park area is very nice. However, I don't know if I would reccomend it to someone who is single in their twenties as their first place to live in SA. If I was looking out of the city center with that budget in SA I would look at some of the snazzier spots in the medical center and the stone oak area as mentioned. But city center would work well, too. It's all based on preferences.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:37 AM

1,510 posts, read 1,546,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post

Yes to gated communities. No need to be bored in the suburbs..."it's what you make of it"...that seems to be the battle cry around here on the forum anyway.
Prepare your food at home....much healthier if you know what you are doing. That's what we do.
Yes, you'll have to drive some more, but some actually like driving, it doesn't bother me, never did. It's my alone time. Suburbs any day.

Somehow we knew that this would turn into another one of those threads

Old 06-17-2016, 12:01 PM

1,858 posts, read 816,451 times
Suburbs can of course have their charms, especially in the right neighborhoods. But I would never suggest them to a single person.

I don't know the OP's situation of course and it is none of my business. But the OP did say he/she works downtown, so commute wise Southtown and/or Pearl-Broadway area would very practical. Somebody suggested Alamo Heights, which is also pretty close.

You can still prepare your food at home, even when living in the city but you can also easily walk to a place get some food if there are days where one does not feel like cooking. ;-)

Old 06-17-2016, 12:34 PM

1,653 posts, read 810,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Cookie cutter suburbia isn't for everyone but then again being all "downtown, crunchy granola, Birkenstock wearing, pruis-driving, two masters degrees in art painting and history" isn't either. At least the latter is more exciting than being in suburbia.
That is true...to a point. People nowadays need to look at the "big picture" when purchasing a house. People like myself will sacrifice the "convenience" of living close to work and dodging traffic just so I can come home to a nice, safe, quiet, gated, clean, "ever increasing property value" home. Living an exciting life has it's privileges, but looking towards what advantages the future holds will always trump "the now" for myself.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:45 PM

1,791 posts, read 2,434,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
...and it's a nice, safe area. I wouldn't live downtown either.
Lol! I expect nothing less from you Pancho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or