Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 05:24 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,098,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I wouldn't come here from Houston to go to Trader's Village, especially not in the summertime. (I think the Lackland area was a little different when Jimi Hendrix was around and when Johnny Cash was meeting his first wife.) Most of Trader's Village is like shopping across the border, without the danger or the low prices...lots of stuff imported from Mexico and if you look at every 5 stalls, 4 will have identical stuff.

When you're talking about a mall, you just mean a basic shopping mall, right? The good ones here are North Star and La Cantera. La Cantera is very near Six Flags. It's a newer shopping center and some of it is outdoors, but very nicely landscaped, not just a parking lot with a row of stores. There are several hotels and motels in the area. The Westin is supposed to be the nicest but is pricey, and there are other motels nearby. You would be about 15 miles from downtown. An advantage to staying in that area is that you'd be able to see the Six Flags fireworks display on the 4th.

There are lots of motels near North Star too, because North Star is near the airport. It's closer to downtown...maybe 7 or 8 miles.

The Riverwalk is fine to visit with a baby in the daytime. It's pretty much all stroller accessible, but you have to find elevators to get from the street level to the river level or carry your stroller down the stairs. The easiest place to park and access the Riverwalk with a stroller is Rivercenter Mall. The Riverwalk has lots of shade and is tolerable in the summer. You can take a barge ride for sightseeing.

My sister likes to visit Gruene when she comes to town. It's a little ways north on 35, just outside New Braunfels. WELCOME TO GRUENE TEXAS! There are a bunch of little shops she loves to go to there.
Good advice and well said.

Browsed hotel prices and any area seems to be in that range. If it were me, I'd stay near six flags to catch the fireworks from the hotel or a nearby viewing spot. That area is nice in general to shop, eat, relax, maybe catch a movie at the palladium. Not like the hustle and bustle shopping experience at galleria in Houston lol.

If you're staying a few days, use another late afternoon/evening to check out downtown/Southtown/pearl district. Even w the heat, lots to do, enjoy SA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 07:58 AM

946 posts, read 1,134,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I wouldn't come here from Houston to go to Trader's Village, especially not in the summertime. (I think the Lackland area was a little different when Jimi Hendrix was around and when Johnny Cash was meeting his first wife.) Most of Trader's Village is like shopping across the border, without the danger or the low prices...lots of stuff imported from Mexico and if you look at every 5 stalls, 4 will have identical stuff.

When you're talking about a mall, you just mean a basic shopping mall, right? The good ones here are North Star and La Cantera. La Cantera is very near Six Flags. It's a newer shopping center and some of it is outdoors, but very nicely landscaped, not just a parking lot with a row of stores. There are several hotels and motels in the area. The Westin is supposed to be the nicest but is pricey, and there are other motels nearby. You would be about 15 miles from downtown. An advantage to staying in that area is that you'd be able to see the Six Flags fireworks display on the 4th.

There are lots of motels near North Star too, because North Star is near the airport. It's closer to downtown...maybe 7 or 8 miles.

The Riverwalk is fine to visit with a baby in the daytime. It's pretty much all stroller accessible, but you have to find elevators to get from the street level to the river level or carry your stroller down the stairs. The easiest place to park and access the Riverwalk with a stroller is Rivercenter Mall. The Riverwalk has lots of shade and is tolerable in the summer. You can take a barge ride for sightseeing.

My sister likes to visit Gruene when she comes to town. It's a little ways north on 35, just outside New Braunfels. WELCOME TO GRUENE TEXAS! There are a bunch of little shops she loves to go to there.
Thank you all.

I ended up booking a hotel near the SA International airport. According to Google maps it's 19 minutes from Riverwalk. The North Star mall is nearby and the rates for the room were fair since almost everything is already booked downtown.

And thx for the parking tips!

Old 06-23-2016, 09:14 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,903,046 times
the SA zoo is great. My kids love it

Old 06-23-2016, 09:39 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,968,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
the SA zoo is great. My kids love it
Yes. Go first thing in the morning when temps are cool and it isn't crowded yet. Go to the Pearl for breakfast and then walk the Museum Reach of the Riverwalk, walk around Hotel Emma and eat lunch outside at their restaurant Supper. The DoSeum is fun, even for adults. Go the San Antonio Museum of Art and eat lunch across the river outside at The Luxury. Walk around King William and then grab lunch/breakfast at one of the many restaurants/coffee shops.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:23 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
I wouldn't bother with the zoo or the DoSeum. A 3 month old won't care and you'll be overwhelmed with other kids there. Head to the pearl, walk along the river, check out the outdoor music and movie options. Do the stuff you would normally do as adults. In about a year you'll have a toddler and that will become impossible!

Old 06-24-2016, 02:04 PM

3 posts, read 4,328 times
As far as the Independence day festivities at Woodlawn lake, it is very family oriented. Starts early with games, a lot of food, and many people. At the end of the night, HEB sponsors a firework show on the lake. The down fall is leaving, if you get there early you won't have no problem finding parking. However since there is limited parking, you will be forced to park in the neighborhood should you arrive late. The area is a little should i say rough? A lot of young men acting as gangstas around. So it would help you to stay with a large crowd going back to your vehicle.

Other than woodlawn, Sea World is nice for the family and the young ones. Expect to pay though, the prices are ridiculous.

Good eats: Big Bib BBQ, Mad Macks Burgers, Bun&Barrel, Tip-Top dinner, Pollos Asados Los nortenos, and Big Lou's pizza (huge pizza)

Have a good one, and welcome!

Old 06-27-2016, 09:23 AM

80 posts, read 57,976 times
suferdude949,

Our personal favorite place in downtown is THE EMILY MORGAN, which is really near THE ALAMO SHRINE.
(My lady & I like it for our "date weekends".)
CHECK OUT Kayak.com for MUCH better prices there. - REGULAR prices are HIGH.

You should also try LA PALOMA for GREAT Tex-Mex food in Alamo Heights & PETE'S TAKO HOUSE on Brooklyn off Broadway.
(SA folks are rather fanatic on our Tex-Mex food & more fistfights have started over "who has the best Tex-Mex in town" than over adultery.)
Also, THAI CHILI (both locations) is GREAT, reasonably priced & has truly authentic Bangkok-style food. - The kitchen will fix the food to YOUR taste, from MILD to BLAZINGLY HOT. GREAT/attentive service, too.
(Tip: PETE'S should be AVOIDED between 1130 & 1PM on weekdays, as it's both CROWDED & NOISY, then.)

Local "intel": FIRST FRIDAY at BEETHOVEN MANNERCHOR (SA's famous German-American private club) is open to the general public that Friday, starting at 6PM till 1AM Saturday, for GOOD German food, cheap pitchers of draft German beer, live music, dancing & it's "kid friendly", too.
(BEETHOVEN is the USA's oldest German private club & has been open since 1867.)

just our OPINIONS. tex

Old 06-27-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx78247 View Post
suferdude949,

Our personal favorite place in downtown is THE EMILY MORGAN, which is really near THE ALAMO SHRINE.
(My lady & I like it for our "date weekends".)
CHECK OUT Kayak.com for MUCH better prices there. - REGULAR prices are HIGH.

You should also try LA PALOMA for GREAT Tex-Mex food in Alamo Heights & PETE'S TAKO HOUSE on Brooklyn off Broadway.
(SA folks are rather fanatic on our Tex-Mex food & more fistfights have started over "who has the best Tex-Mex in town" than over adultery.)
Also, THAI CHILI (both locations) is GREAT, reasonably priced & has truly authentic Bangkok-style food. - The kitchen will fix the food to YOUR taste, from MILD to BLAZINGLY HOT. GREAT/attentive service, too.
(Tip: PETE'S should be AVOIDED between 1130 & 1PM on weekdays, as it's both CROWDED & NOISY, then.)

Local "intel": FIRST FRIDAY at BEETHOVEN MANNERCHOR (SA's famous German-American private club) is open to the general public that Friday, starting at 6PM till 1AM Saturday, for GOOD German food, cheap pitchers of draft German beer, live music, dancing & it's "kid friendly", too.
(BEETHOVEN is the USA's oldest German private club & has been open since 1867.)

just our OPINIONS. tex
Thx!

Old 06-28-2016, 07:30 AM

80 posts, read 57,976 times
surferdude949,

ONE thing that should NOT be missed in a trip to SA (Aside from THE ALAMO SHRINE, of course) is having a PUFFY TACO. = Puffy Tacos are a local dish that you'll will seldom find on the menu beyond 25-50 miles BUT they are an Alamo City native's favorite & available at most every SA Tex-Mex place.

Note: Flowers , btw, are "perfectly appropriate" to be placed ANYWHERE on the Alamo grounds or inside the Chapel at THE SHRINE. = My daughter NEVER goes to the Shrine without taking yellow roses to lay inside the Chapel, in memory of our heroes/martyrs to Texas Freedom.

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 06-28-2016 at 07:45 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-28-2016, 07:45 AM

Sunday I will be going to schlitterbahn. Any tips going there? Are there any small shallow pools for infants?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio