Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 05:37 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,473,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Hopefully for the OP, if she decides to move here, most San Antonians are not as misinformed as this poster. This kind of post is not really a good example of how "welcoming" San Antonians can be to black people. The east side is actually majority Hispanic, and the black share of the population in that area has steadily gone down. There is also a lot of gang activity in parts of the west side that barely have any black people, so I don't see the point in pointing the finger at only 7% of the population for an upsurge in violence. There are other areas in San Antonio with sizable black populations that do not have high rates of violent crime. The east side, just like the west side, is a poor area with few economic opportunities. Naturally, gang activity is going to be higher there.

It would be more helpful and welcoming to tell the OP which parts of town are best rather than try to demonize the people of her race. Telling the OP she should fear only other black people here is completely unhelpful and doesn't answer her question at all. There are still places in the U.S. that are not welcoming to black people, so this type of question is not unreasonable. I don't know why someone always has to be passive aggressive on this forum when this type of question comes up. It's as if you're offended by someone having the audacity to ask if a city will be welcoming to people like her.

To the OP, I'm often the only black person posting in a variety of threads here. That's just to let you know that you may not be receiving any firsthand accounts. As a black woman who lived in San Antonio for decades, the statement that you need only fear other blacks here is preposterous. This implies that people of other races in San Antonio do not commit a lot of crime, only blacks do.
I take exception to your BS. My post couldn't have been more welcoming. You apparently dislike that I pointed out the current rash of shootings, murders and gang violence on the east side. It may be true that the east side is predominately Hispanic so is most of the rest of the city. The east side has also been home to most blacks in San Antonio. Blacks are spreading out more is one true statement. Regardless when east side is spoken of here most folks think of blacks.

Quote:
It would be more helpful and welcoming to tell the OP which parts of town are best rather than try to demonize the people of her race.
I found it far easier to tell the OP which area to avoid. Demonizing? Get real. I think you have a huge chip on your shoulder and a skewed view of the situation. The OP would be quite welcome here.

Old 06-25-2016, 07:16 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,575,621 times
I really think the OP needs to check out a couple different cities in the state. She has asked about Austin and Houston as well. Go visit over the summer, see the city, check out the make-up. Ignore religion (as mentioned in the Austin post that was a concern). Then decide on the districts that you may like to work at from there. You will only know what city is best for you. Random strangers will not be able to make your decision on where to live after graduating. Side note, where are you graduating from? Are thos eareas where you can teach?

Old 06-25-2016, 09:45 PM

95 posts, read 76,490 times
Quote:
Hopefully for the OP, if she decides to move here, most San Antonians are not as misinformed as this poster. This kind of post is not really a good example of how "welcoming" San Antonians can be to black people. The east side is actually majority Hispanic, and the black share of the population in that area has steadily gone down. There is also a lot of gang activity in parts of the west side that barely have any black people, so I don't see the point in pointing the finger at only 7% of the population for an upsurge in violence. There are other areas in San Antonio with sizable black populations that do not have high rates of violent crime. The east side, just like the west side, is a poor area with few economic opportunities. Naturally, gang activity is going to be higher there.

It would be more helpful and welcoming to tell the OP which parts of town are best rather than try to demonize the people of her race. Telling the OP she should fear only other black people here is completely unhelpful and doesn't answer her question at all. There are still places in the U.S. that are not welcoming to black people, so this type of question is not unreasonable. I don't know why someone always has to be passive aggressive on this forum when this type of question comes up. It's as if you're offended by someone having the audacity to ask if a city will be welcoming to people like her.

To the OP, I'm often the only black person posting in a variety of threads here. That's just to let you know that you may not be receiving any firsthand accounts. As a black woman who lived in San Antonio for decades, the statement that you need only fear other blacks here is preposterous. This implies that people of other races in San Antonio do not commit a lot of crime, only blacks do.
Thank you so much! You were one of the least condescending posters here. I'm new to this site All these unhelpful posters make me not want to continue asking questions on this forum.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:59 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,360,832 times
Default Agreed,

I have noted, maintained and written even that L210 is one of the better posters here, telling it exactly like it is with her objectivity gathered from experience.
Notable for- being straight forward. Listen well and heed- visitor to San Antonio- is what I think of her entry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianote93 View Post
Thank you so much! You were one of the least condescending posters here. I'm new to this site All these unhelpful posters make me not want to continue asking questions on this forum.

Old 06-26-2016, 03:25 AM

785 posts, read 948,057 times
It's OK. I'm a black male. I've felt sometimes socially outcasted because San Antonio is a strongly Mexican city and there's not many outlets for other cultures outside of that here. But it could also be that I'm in my early 30s, now single, and not in the military. I stick out in other ways than one.

People are pretty friendly here though. If you are looking for a more diverse city I'd advise Houston though if you want a mix of black, latino, white experience.

You don't have to fear other blacks or any nonsense like that, but the types of blacks in my experience here in Texas are different than ones I grew up and encountered in the east and south, but that's to be expected somewhat.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:08 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,412,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I take exception to your BS. My post couldn't have been more welcoming. You apparently dislike that I pointed out the current rash of shootings, murders and gang violence on the east side. It may be true that the east side is predominately Hispanic so is most of the rest of the city. The east side has also been home to most blacks in San Antonio. Blacks are spreading out more is one true statement. Regardless when east side is spoken of here most folks think of blacks.

I found it far easier to tell the OP which area to avoid. Demonizing? Get real. I think you have a huge chip on your shoulder and a skewed view of the situation. The OP would be quite welcome here.
The OP asked if San Antonio is welcoming to black people. Then, you come in and say that she need only fear other black people because there has been an uptick in violence in one part of town that is over 50% Hispanic. You think that's welcoming and helpful? The three black people who posted in this thread so far, including the OP, think not. You may want to try again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianote93 View Post
I lived on the NE side for a long time in 2 bedroom apartments that were just under $700. Rent has gone up a little since then, but it shouldn't be hard to find a 1 bedroom in a decent neighborhood for under $700. The NE side has a pretty large black population relative most other parts of San Antonio, and I didn't have to live in fear of other black people. As Beaste said, that's nonsense. The violence on the east side has more to do with socioeconomic status and lack of good jobs in the area than anything else. San Antonio doesn't have the best public transportation system, as pointed out before by local media, so it often takes hours to catch the bus across town to go to work.

However, going by what you wrote about yourself in the Austin forum, I think Austin or Houston would be a better fit. It's just that the rent in Austin is expensive relative to the rest of Texas. You should do more research on Houston.

Old 06-26-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
The OP asked if San Antonio is welcoming to black people. Then, you come in and say that she need only fear other black people because there has been an uptick in violence in one part of town that is over 50% Hispanic. You think that's welcoming and helpful? The three black people who posted in this thread so far, including the OP, think not. You may want to try again.
I assumed she feared discriminating whites. So telling her she'd have more to fear from other blacks was my way of alleviating those fears. I certainly meant no disrespect. I pointed out it wouldn't be a good idea to settle in the usual roosting place of many blacks.

I can't tell a posters color by their posts.

This statement from your first post...

Quote:
the statement that you need only fear other blacks here is preposterous. This implies that people of other races in San Antonio do not commit a lot of crime, only blacks do.
Apparently you didn't read my post before spouting your PC, head in the sand, version.

Quote:
You need only fear other blacks here. Well, actually just those that are in gangs or other criminal activities. That goes for any race or ethnicity of course. We take in newcomers quite well here.
Next time read before posting. My only possible mistake was assuming anywhere in SA has less Mexicans than others. You can give whatever percentages you like for the east side. The violence going on there now is black on black crime period. So let's be honest with folks wanting to make SA home. I won't be "trying again" unless you invite me with another reply.

Old 06-26-2016, 12:32 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,791,313 times
Dallas and Fort Worth also should be considered. Both cities have a diverse and large black population.

Old 06-26-2016, 03:59 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,412,134 times
Quote:
I assumed she feared discriminating whites. So telling her she'd have more to fear from other blacks was my way of alleviating those fears. I certainly meant no disrespect. I pointed out it wouldn't be a good idea to settle in the usual roosting place of many blacks.

I can't tell a posters color by their posts.

This statement from your first post...

Apparently you didn't read my post before spouting your PC, head in the sand, version.
Yes, I did, and this is what you said.

Quote:
You need only fear other blacks here. Well, actually just those that are in gangs or other criminal activities. That goes for any race or ethnicity of course. We take in newcomers quite well here. The predominately black east side though is seeing an upsurge in violence. I'd just avoid that area and find a more peaceful part of town. Loads of teaching jobs here with huge school district budgets. Our school systems should be second to none.
You're painting black San Antonians with a broad brush and also implying that one can't be victimized by any other race here. Sticking head in the sand? You would have a point if this thread was about violence on the east side, but it's not. Your post was irrelevant to the OP's concerns. If you wanted to be helpful, you would tell her that there aren't many discriminatory non-blacks here (you aren't really helping that case) and which sides of town to avoid. All that other nonsense was unnecessary.

Quote:
Next time read before posting. My only possible mistake was assuming anywhere in SA has less Mexicans than others. You can give whatever percentages you like for the east side. The violence going on there now is black on black crime period. So let's be honest with folks wanting to make SA home. I won't be "trying again" unless you invite me with another reply.
Once again, how does this answer the OP's question? If you want to talk about the east side so bad, then start a thread.

Old 06-26-2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Yes, I did, and this is what you said.

You're painting black San Antonians with a broad brush and also implying that one can't be victimized by any other race here. Sticking head in the sand? You would have a point if this thread was about violence on the east side, but it's not. Your post was irrelevant to the OP's concerns. If you wanted to be helpful, you would tell her that there aren't many discriminatory non-blacks here (you aren't really helping that case) and which sides of town to avoid. All that other nonsense was unnecessary.

Once again, how does this answer the OP's question? If you want to talk about the east side so bad, then start a thread.
I'll just let you answer all the black questions from now on. How's that? Blow that smoke and ignore the facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio