Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 03:27 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,928,393 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I just wanted to tell y'all (I know, I know... a Canadian should never say "y'all" ) how absolutely lovely your city is.

We came to Texas (from Montreal, Canada) for a week, mostly to go to Austin for a concert. We flew into Houston, stayed there one night, then made our way to Austin. We figured that we'd spend the bulk of our time there, with a day trip (and overnight) to Corpus Christi and another day trip (and overnight) to San Antonio.

Although we enjoyed Austin, it wasn't the scene that we expected. So we headed out to Corpus Christi a bit earlier than planned. We went to San Padre Island but didn't stay overnight (hard to find a hotel). At that point, we figured we might as well head on over to San Antonio.

Well. Let me tell you this: We were so glad that San Antonio was last on our trip AND that we got there a few days earlier than originally planned. We LOVED it!

Okay, okay, typical tourists that we were, we spent most of our time in the Riverwalk area (gorgeous!!! such lush greenery!!!). Despite the heat (seriously, guys... 95 degrees at 9 o'clock at night?!? whoa! and the humidity? I've got curly hair... need I say more? August would likely kill me dead.)... but, despite the heat, we had a fantastic time.

On our last day, we wanted to stop in at a Trader Joe's to get some goodies (there are no TJ's in Canada... blasphemy!) and that's when we stumbled upon Quarry Village. So nice!

The people in San Antonio are lovely. It wasn't rare for a stranger passing on the sidewalk to say "hi" or smile at us. The people who we dealt with in stores, restaurants, or places of interest were all charming and friendly and so helpful.

I could gush for a few more paragraphs but the bottom line is that you've got a beautiful (and hot! did I mention hot?!?) city that is filled with warm-hearted people.

Thank you for your hospitality, San Antonio.

Until next time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 05:14 PM

7,116 posts, read 11,780,219 times
Glad you enjoyed it! Next trip, branch out and check out some of the outlying communities such as Fredericksburg, Castroville and New Braunfels!

Oh - and find our hidden gem - Schiloh's German Deli in DT San Antonio! They've been serving since the early 1900's!

Y'all come back now, y'heah?

Old 06-26-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Glad you enjoyed it! Next trip, branch out and check out some of the outlying communities such as Fredericksburg, Castroville and New Braunfels!

Oh - and find our hidden gem - Schiloh's German Deli in DT San Antonio! They've been serving since the early 1900's!

Y'all come back now, y'heah?
We drove through New Braunfels -- next time we'll know to actually STOP there and also check out the others that you mentioned. Thanks!!

And we saw the sign for Schiloh's!!! We even talked about it! Again -- next time we'll go INSIDE!

Old 06-26-2016, 05:34 PM

7,116 posts, read 11,780,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
We drove through New Braunfels -- next time we'll know to actually STOP there and also check out the others that you mentioned. Thanks!!

And we saw the sign for Schiloh's!!! We even talked about it! Again -- next time we'll go INSIDE!
Do that - they have all kinds of great foods! Their red cabbage is to die for - and their Ruben is outta sight! One word of warning - their hot German mustard IS hot - but good!!

And in New Braunfels.....be sure and visit the bakery right off the traffic circle - it's the oldest in Texas!

Old 06-26-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Do that - they have all kinds of great foods! Their red cabbage is to die for - and their Ruben is outta sight! One word of warning - their hot German mustard IS hot - but good!!

And in New Braunfels.....be sure and visit the bakery right off the traffic circle - it's the oldest in Texas!
You're awesome! Thank you! I wish that I'd posted here BEFORE our trip but now we're all set for next time.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:36 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,174,777 times
The Welcome Mat is always out for you and all other Canadians. Thank you for your kind words...

Old 06-26-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
The Welcome Mat is always out for you and all other Canadians. Thank you for your kind words...
So sweet!

Old 06-27-2016, 05:03 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,111,076 times
I'd have to agree with your experience with the locals. People always friendly. You happened upon the area at an atypical week for humidity. It's all a function of if the winds are blowing from the gulf or from the west. Gulf be humid.

Good that you were flexible.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
I'd have to agree with your experience with the locals. People always friendly. You happened upon the area at an atypical week for humidity. It's all a function of if the winds are blowing from the gulf or from the west. Gulf be humid.

Good that you were flexible.
Gulf be crazy on my hair! But everything else made up for it.

Old 06-27-2016, 03:09 PM

702 posts, read 724,791 times
Every friend from a far away place always wants to visit Austin. We end up spending an hour there sitting at a bar surrounded by homeless people and then leave. We have more fun at Buckees on the way. I don't get the appeal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio