U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 09:03 PM

2,067 posts, read 5,308,463 times

Advertisements

How do they figure who puts trash in the blue bin? Doesn't the truck lift the bin and empty it? If that is the case, how do they tell who's trash is who's? I occasionally put a pizza box in the blue bin because a guy who worked at a recycling center told me that there is no reason not to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 09:58 PM

3,141 posts, read 5,159,284 times
They just ran a report about this on KENS 5 news this evening. The City says about 1 in 5 residents aren't getting the recycling right. Too many non-recyclable items getting into the blue carts, and it makes it hard for the City to find buyers for the recycled stuff, because of too much contamination. They said dirty disposable diapers are one of the major culprits. They said inspectors will be sent out to photograph contents of habitual and flagrant violators, showing the blue bin serial # in the photo, and what is inside. The resident will have to pay the fine, or appear in Municipal Court, if they want to challenge it.

They didn't say anything about it in the report, but I was told that those trucks have cameras that allow the driver to see what the mechanical arm is doing, and what is dumping out of the can, into the back of the truck. I guess the drivers could alert inspectors to locations of continual violators.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:16 PM

2,067 posts, read 5,308,463 times
So IOW, unless you are regularly putting garbage in your blue bin, you shouldn't have anything to worry about?

Old 07-05-2016, 11:56 PM

26 posts, read 18,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
They just ran a report about this on KENS 5 news this evening. The City says about 1 in 5 residents aren't getting the recycling right. Too many non-recyclable items getting into the blue carts, and it makes it hard for the City to find buyers for the recycled stuff, because of too much contamination. They said dirty disposable diapers are one of the major culprits. They said inspectors will be sent out to photograph contents of habitual and flagrant violators, showing the blue bin serial # in the photo, and what is inside. The resident will have to pay the fine, or appear in Municipal Court, if they want to challenge it.

They didn't say anything about it in the report, but I was told that those trucks have cameras that allow the driver to see what the mechanical arm is doing, and what is dumping out of the can, into the back of the truck. I guess the drivers could alert inspectors to locations of continual violators.
Go to court they will NEVER be able to enforce this. Just like the new school bus cameras

Old 07-06-2016, 03:34 AM

1,510 posts, read 1,545,691 times
Is it worth taking a day off going to court for some people? Isn't the fine something like $25?

Old 07-06-2016, 05:17 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,355,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobofromsa View Post
Go to court they will NEVER be able to enforce this. Just like the new school bus cameras
Or just be a good citizen and don't put trash in the blue bin

Old 07-06-2016, 06:27 AM

6,257 posts, read 8,986,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Or just be a good citizen and don't put trash in the blue bin
You mean do what's right without having to be forced???

Old 07-06-2016, 06:48 AM

3,141 posts, read 5,159,284 times
The media reports say the implementation of this new fine became effective July 1. I learned about it here on CD first. I have not gotten a notice in the mail, or been notified by any other means, other than the aforementioned media reports.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:02 AM

3,741 posts, read 3,841,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
I don't even use the blue bin or the new green one I just got. Brown all the way.
Do you live in the city?

If so what do you put in the brown bin?

Old 07-06-2016, 07:54 AM

11,930 posts, read 12,800,146 times
May I ask what company you guys have? We are with Tiger and have a brown and green container. Have heard about these notices but have not received one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or