U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2016, 01:49 PM

7 posts, read 6,294 times

Advertisements

We are currently house hunting in San Antonio and surrounding areas. We have a pretty limited budget because we already own a house out of state. (We will be renting this home, but still counts as a liability when getting a second home loan) We have considered many options, and it seems like the best option is to buy an inexpensive home rather than renting- it's kind of expensive to rent for a family there!
My question is this: what neighborhoods are safe for families but also have inexpensive houses. We have seen TONS of homes in the converse area. I have heard so many mixed things about it though. I drove through several neighborhoods and I thought the Dover subdivision seemed really nice compared to a few other parts of San Antonio that I saw. But apparently there was a shooting at the elementary school last year?! That terrifies me! Is converse as bad as they say? We also looked around the 78245 zip code because there was several low cost houses there as well. This area seemed slightly seedier than parts of converse with quite a few stray dogs and graffiti, but definitely not as rough as some of the neighborhoods in the south. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Job is in the south east, looking for a 3+bed, 2+ bath under 150k

Thanks!!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 03:44 PM

11,497 posts, read 25,463,061 times
There was a shooting last year near Elolf elementary in Converse, but it did not involve students at the school, it just happened very near to the school.

I live in 78245. There are some older neighborhoods in poor repair, but there are a lot of newer neighborhoods too. I've been here for 6 years. Someone stole the gas cap from my car one time, and another time a couple was trying to get into my house in the middle of the night, but they were quite intoxicated and I think they had confused my house with theirs. Those are the only things that have happened at my house since I moved in, in terms of safety. It's true that a lot of dogs are dumped around here. I don't know why. I used to try to take them all home and find them homes, but it gets expensive and it's hard when you get attached to them.

Ironically, I looked at houses in 78245 and in Converse because those two areas suited my budget best, but I had heard about a lot of foundation problems in Converse, and several of the houses I looked at there either needed or had a foundation repair. I'd heard that the far west side was better in terms of how stable the ground was, meaning less foundation problems. That's apparently true as long as your house was built by a good builder who did things right. Mine wasn't...I had my foundation fixed year before last.

If you want to get an idea of how culturally diverse the areas are, look at the student demographics on Greatschools for the schools in that area. That will give you a pretty good idea of the blend of people in the area.

Old 07-21-2016, 05:00 PM

28 posts, read 29,357 times
Converse isn't that bad. You just have to be a little picky about the neighborhood. A friend of mine lives in Converse (inside Kitty Hawk and Toepperwein), and she has had no issues for almost 10 years now. Houses there are probably in your price range.

You can also check out Sunset Hills/Inspiration Hills area (go further into the neighborhoods, away from Callaghan Rd), which is in zip code 78228. There is property crime, but I feel like that happens all over San Antonio. Close by is 78240... also a little hit or miss depending on how close you are to the Medical Center. My husband lived in that area when he was growing up, and it still looks decent. Make sure you double check the schools for that area, though.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:02 PM

Thanks for the info! It's good to know that the shooting didn't involve the students, but that's still a little unnerving! I will check out all of these areas. I also heard about the foundation problems in converse- it was noticeable in a couple of the houses we looked at, so I'll have to keep that in mind while looking too!

Old 07-22-2016, 04:52 AM

948 posts, read 1,767,097 times
Realtor.com. Seriously. You can enter all your needs and find something. Stuff happens all over, you just need to find an area where it's less likely to happen. With that in mind I personally would stay well outside 410 more around 1604 and further and even then from Bandera to I35.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:35 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,124,537 times
I would look at Royal ridge on the NE side. It's a bit better than converse and the school district is NEISD instead of Judson which is magnitudes better.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:12 PM

Thanks everyone! Great advice so far. Even after spending almost 2 weeks driving around, it's so hard when you are unfamiliar with the area!

Old 07-23-2016, 11:54 AM

7,009 posts, read 11,888,361 times
The city of Converse is safe and rarely has any murders. The area surrounding Converse is a different story.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:30 PM

89 posts, read 88,868 times
I wouldn't send my kids to any school close to converse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio