Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 09:59 PM

40 posts, read 138,525 times

Advertisements

We went to vote yesterday. We waited in line about 10 minutes--no problems. It was pretty neat because they would announce when a first time voter came in---it was nice to see all the young people there. People were clapping for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 10:47 PM

3 posts, read 7,715 times
Default Voting with my Five-Year Old to vote...

She has become very interested in this Presidential election and points out the signs on people's yards and tells us that "Those people want Mr. Obama to win" or "Those people want Mr. McCain to win". (The whole "Senator" title throws her for a loop....we stick with "Mr.")

I took her with me to go vote and she was so excited---when I pushed the "Vote" button, she asked me "Did Mr. ______ win?" I realized that I needed to explain that we were EARLY voting and that we wouldn't know until Nov. 4th-5th who would win (hopefully )

Old 10-27-2008, 07:34 AM

109 posts, read 516,231 times
In California prior to any election you are shipped a sizable pamphlet which includes all of the ballet measures with statements written by the proposing and opposing parties as to why you should vote yes or no on the measure. Also, any running officials submit statements as to why they should win and their positions on issues etc...

Texas could really learn from California by implementing such a voter education program. I believe that the voter turn out would not only be increased but each vote would be so much better informed.

Just a little rant about the Texas voting system

FYI: if you have problems with the voting machines acting up please report your issues to:
Problems Voting in the General Election? Report Your Issue Here | Threat Level from Wired.com

Apparently in some states if you do a all one party ticket the machine will sometimes switch your results so make sure you read over the ballot carefully. Texas has been reported as a state that uses the software with the glitch.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:47 PM
JNA

243 posts, read 732,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoddys2 View Post
In California prior to any election you are shipped a sizable pamphlet which includes all of the ballet measures with statements written by the proposing and opposing parties as to why you should vote yes or no on the measure. Also, any running officials submit statements as to why they should win and their positions on issues etc...

Texas could really learn from California by implementing such a voter education program. I believe that the voter turn out would not only be increased but each vote would be so much better informed.
I'm fromm CA (living here for 7 months) and while I'll agree the pamphlets were very nice, it still didn't make most of the CA electorate more informed...just check out their continuous problems with HUGE budget deficits and yet they'll keep taxing and spending, taxing and spending, and taxing and spending.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:09 PM

65 posts, read 157,947 times
Default Early voting 2008

You can also early vote at UTSA. The first week was very brisk, however the wait doesn't seem to be bad at all now.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:00 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,592,718 times
I just finished up voting at Las Palmas Library. I've never been in that library. It's very nice. It took a grand total of 15 minutes to get in and out. Waiting in line was about 2 minutes. If you're not into waiting that's a good place to go.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:22 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,533,566 times
I just came on here to see if the lines for voting were getting longer as the week went on. It looks like today or tomorrow might be a good time to vote, I would really like to avoid the crowds if possible. Thanks everyone for the update.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:28 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,627,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygreeniii View Post
I just came on here to see if the lines for voting were getting longer as the week went on. It looks like today or tomorrow might be a good time to vote, I would really like to avoid the crowds if possible. Thanks everyone for the update.

San Antonio has already passed 260,000 early voters as of yesterday (28 Oct). Here is a listing of sites you can vote at and will give you an idea of the less busy places:

San Antonio, News, Bexar Count, earley Election Totals | mySA.com (http://www2.mysanantonio.com/specials/elections/earlyvote.asp - broken link)

Old 10-29-2008, 02:56 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,004,858 times
Just voted at UTSA. Lines were short (10 minute wait).

Old 10-29-2008, 03:05 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,285,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygreeniii View Post
Even if they look long, they probably will go very quick. I didn't like seeing the amount of cars at the place I went, but it only took about 15 minutes. It's definitely going to be Much worse on election day, so I'd get it done now.
Thanks for voting BTW.

and a bit OT, but I'll make it specific to SA. Has anyone in SA ever lied to one of the people that call you for a poll about who you are voting for? A guy I work with, here in SA, said he lies to them all the time and he's pretty sure quite a few others also do. Just wondering how common this is here in SA. I definitely don't want to ask this question in the politics poll because that's an evil place..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio