U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 07:36 AM

2,216 posts, read 3,982,829 times

Advertisements

I just saw on the news that they were saying some schools in Texas had to call the police yesterday due to the long voting lines and the crowds getting angry and out of control. More often they seem to put these at the school library. Is there a reason the Public Library cannot hold these instead of our schools? Seems to me at some schools this obviously was disruptive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 10:10 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,103,487 times
Honestly, aren't there enough public halls and whatnot where elections could be held without disrupting schools and such? I actually go to a FFA building behind a high school; parking is a pain but at least we are not in the way of the students.

And the flip side to the crowds is at least people are getting out to vote for a change! Good on all of you who did, and thank you for taking the time to do so!

Cheers! M2

Old 03-05-2008, 04:19 PM
djw

951 posts, read 2,571,092 times
I was thinking even the gym or something could be a better choice - although I guess some schools have that cafagymnatorium thing going, huh! Or what about high-schools. At least there, the kids aren't as vulnerable to stranger-danger!

No comments on the splitting the Republicans from the Democrats?
Even if the poll workers are party-affiliated volunteers, that's no reason to have the voters identify themselves publicly by lining in two separate lines. I am not ashamed that I voted Democrat - but being in uniform and being required to declare that to anyone looking was slightly uncomfortable as we aren't supposed to identify with politics while in uniform. Not to mention it was an invasion of privacy. Guess I'll go in regular clothes next time, huh!?
Do they do the same at the Novemeber polls?

Old 03-05-2008, 07:45 PM

656 posts, read 1,682,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djw View Post
I was thinking even the gym or something could be a better choice - although I guess some schools have that cafagymnatorium thing going, huh! Or what about high-schools. At least there, the kids aren't as vulnerable to stranger-danger!

Even if the poll workers are party-affiliated volunteers, that's no reason to have the voters identify themselves publicly by lining in two separate lines. I am not ashamed that I voted Democrat - but being in uniform and being required to declare that to anyone looking was slightly uncomfortable as we aren't supposed to identify with politics while in uniform. Not to mention it was an invasion of privacy. Guess I'll go in regular clothes next time, huh!?
Do they do the same at the Novemeber polls?
Some states don't have the Republican and Democratic races on the same day.... There anyone in line would be identifiable... Other states require you to register party affiliation before the primary. You are helping a party select their candidate, if you don't want to be identified with a party don't. It wouldn't surprise me if the list of people who voted in each primary are public record at the Court House...

There are valid reasons not to identify with or vote in the partisan primarys. In Texas you cannot sign a petition to get a 3rd party candidate on the general election ballot if you voted in either primary.

No you do not declare party affiliation in November.... That is a real election, the primarys are just partisan candidate selection....

Corey

Old 03-05-2008, 07:45 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,103,487 times
No, only during primaries where you have to vote one party or the other.

Honestly, I don't give a hoot if people know which way I voted. If it helps the process and ensures honesty, then I am all for it!

Cheers! M2

Old 03-05-2008, 08:01 PM

454 posts, read 370,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djw View Post

Even if the poll workers are party-affiliated volunteers, that's no reason to have the voters identify themselves publicly by lining in two separate lines. I am not ashamed that I voted Democrat - but being in uniform and being required to declare that to anyone looking was slightly uncomfortable as we aren't supposed to identify with politics while in uniform. Not to mention it was an invasion of privacy.
I'm pretty vocal about my political persuasion in general, and I don't wear a uniform, but I was taken aback by having to announce in front of a bunch of people which party I belonged to. I have voted in primaries many times, in different states and while I must have had to do something to get the right ballot, I never recall a situation such as that where it was so obviously announced. I did try to speak quietly, but the guy repeated it very loudly.

it's not being ashamed, it just takes away from the privacy in voting issue.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:07 PM

454 posts, read 370,469 times
My beef about location - lack of wheelchair access!

Not that I had a wheelchair, but I had a stroller. I voted Friday night downtown at the Courthouse (or whatever that building is across from it), and there was no handicapped accessible access and the steps are long. Luckily a man helped me carry the stroller down, and when I asked the guard if there was another way out, he said no. He did help me carry the stroller back up, which I appreciated, but I asked him what about wheelchair bound people? What would they do? Surely every polling place should be handicapped accessible?

now, that site is until 5pm, but then they close off all the other entrances.

Otherwise, it was nice to walk downtown to vote.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:50 PM

3,770 posts, read 7,274,116 times
Default Did you EARLY VOTE Today???

EARLY VOTE Today???

Early Voting in Texas

Last edited by Bo; 10-20-2008 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: updated title to make it easier to find with search

Old 10-20-2008, 06:51 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,337,726 times
Sure did! So glad to have that done.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:58 PM

3,770 posts, read 7,274,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Sure did! So glad to have that done.
ugh i know the feeling!! Media outlets are predicting huge turnouts on election day and I definitely didnt want to be standing around for that! I only waited about 15 mins from beginning to end today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio