U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 09:39 AM

732 posts, read 3,363,682 times

Advertisements

Crazedchef:

Thank you for your honest, insightful account of your life in Baghdad. You are in my thoughts and I wish for your continued safety (and safe return when you are ready.)

As someone who has lived overseas (but not in a warzone) I know how you can get used to the constant "challenge" of being in another country. Every day is, for lack of a better word, an "adventure" and nothing is straightforward. Going to get groceries is no longer a mundane task - but an event - a challenge to overcome. It becomes a "high" after a while. Upon my return to N. America, I struggled with things feeling "too easy."

Again, my situation was not even close in comparison to yours but your explanation for why you stay makes sense to me.

I wish you the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 01:51 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,289,640 times
I hear ya on the walking commute. I walked to work and to all meals while I was in Bosnia and that's an easy thing to get used to. The other good thing with Bosnia was we were above the law. We had this little card we showed the cops if we ever got pulled over and all they could say was "ok, bye bye". I could use one of those here...

Old 02-23-2008, 02:39 AM

348 posts, read 1,424,144 times
Hello,

Thanks for the kind words.

Yes, I guess you can say I am "addicted" to this place. I cannot imagine life again without the adrenaline.

Traveling the world and living in close proximity with so many different people with so many different cultures has opened my eyes.

I hope to be able to acclimate back to SA one day...sooner or later.

crazedchef
still in Baghdad

Old 02-23-2008, 06:52 AM

3,109 posts, read 8,695,237 times
Good morning, Crazedchef. I'm off to take some pics at noon. Be sure to check the photo of towns around San Antonio tomorrow.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedchef View Post
Hello,

Thanks for the kind words.

Yes, I guess you can say I am "addicted" to this place. I cannot imagine life again without the adrenaline.

Traveling the world and living in close proximity with so many different people with so many different cultures has opened my eyes.

I hope to be able to acclimate back to SA one day...sooner or later.

crazedchef
still in Baghdad
You'll be one of the few people wearing a sweater in the summer here..

Old 02-23-2008, 11:16 PM

Hello rd2007,

You'll be amazed to find out that Baghdad and San Antonio are on the same Longitude.

The weather is VERY similar.

It even SNOWED here in January (although it melted right away.)

The weather here is just a little drier and more extreme. When it is about 120deg. here, it feels similar to San Antonio because it is so dry, that your body cools easier than in the humidity of SA.

When it goes above 130deg, there's no way around it, it's HOT. After 130deg, it feels like you just walked into a clothes dryer. The hottest I have seen so far is 147deg.

Instant sweat.

At least the extreme heat KILLS all of the damn mosquitos. Those things get to be the size of dimes. Suck you dry.

Later,

crazedchef

Old 02-24-2008, 01:46 AM

I've been to the Red Sea/Gulf of Aden and the water temperature was over 100 degrees. The hottest part was when we were sailing Yemen and Eritrea/Djibouti and it was easy to see why there is always war over there. It was so disgusting that fights broke out on the ship over stupid little things and nobody wanted to move. I don't know how the guys on the flight deck did it with all those clothes on and surrounded by hot jet engines.

The weather is the one thing that keeps me away from looking for a job in Iraq. I can handle the bombs and mortars, but I hate super hot weather. Those spiders and the other bugs are another thing that stops me. I can't even stand to see pictures of them...

Old 02-24-2008, 02:01 AM

Hello,

The bugs are worse on my ranch, (except for the mosquitoes). I have been here for three years and have only seen ONE camel spider (which subsequently got smooshed by a co-worker).

The heat is only unbearable in July/August. The rest of the year is mild. If you come over during the winter, you have a chance to acclimate slowly, which is the secret. I've been to Dubai many, many times, and the heat is NOTHING like Baghdad. From all of the people who I work with, I have worked with people who just came from Djibouti and they said the weather is very similar to Dubai. Take all of the worst things over here, the dust, heat, etc... and add 100% humidity and that describes Dubai.

Compared to Baghdad, it is a cesspool.

I came over in August, 2005, but I had been prepared for it by being in Houston for a month doing processing. The dryness here was a nice surprise from the humidity of Houston and then Dubai. It really does help to cool you down.

crazed chef
downtown Baghdad
still wearing a jacket

Old 02-24-2008, 06:46 AM

2,391 posts, read 8,610,921 times
Crazedchef, my family and I will meet you in sisterdale and buy you a beer at the bar there!

Take care!

Old 02-24-2008, 06:52 AM

213 posts, read 512,935 times
crazedchef, my prayers and thoughts are with you. Guide you always to safety.

My son leaves in a few weeks to come over, wanna work it out so you 2 can meet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio