Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 02:13 PM

2 posts, read 1,854 times

Advertisements

Well,
The introduction of my family and I to San Antonio was not very positive. We picked up the keys to our new (rented) home and stopped for lunch at Olive Garden on 1604 west before unloading the moving truck. We came out to find our window smashed and all electronics, fly rods, wife's purse, etc gone. Stuff was hidden under pillows and blankets in the mini van but out of state plates were like a neon sign I guess.

Hoping the rest of our time here turns out better as that was not a very nice welcome from Americas friendliest city.

Crazy part is that we had just escaped flooding in LA as the last line of cars out of just east of Baton Rouge before the highway topped over and the towns that we were traveling through were inundated.

Never had such a terrible road trip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 02:38 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
When you leave moving truck parked somewhere, you should count with that possibility. You should park the way you could keep an eye on it.
It has nothing to do with San Antonio - it could happen everywhere.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:59 PM

4,327 posts, read 7,235,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
When you leave moving truck parked somewhere, you should count with that possibility. You should park the way you could keep an eye on it.
It has nothing to do with San Antonio - it could happen everywhere.
I could be wrong, but the way I read the OP's post, is that they parked their moving van elsewhere (at their newly-rented house?), then drove their minivan (which also was loaded with personal property) to Olive Garden for lunch. Then the minivan got broken into at Olive Garden, even though their property was hidden under blankets and pillows.

I'm sorry to hear about something like this happening to anyone, especially newcomers. But I agree - anytime you park a vehicle with personal property items of value inside (covered up or not), if it's not possible to unload the vehicle beforehand, it's best to seek out parking where you can keep an eye on it. Next best thing if you can't watch it, is to park where other patrons can see it through windows in the establishment, or outdoor seating area, etc.

It's a little late now, but something to think about in the future.

Old 08-16-2016, 03:05 PM

14 posts, read 15,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBobbo View Post
Well,
The introduction of my family and I to San Antonio was not very positive. We picked up the keys to our new (rented) home and stopped for lunch at Olive Garden on 1604 west before unloading the moving truck. We came out to find our window smashed and all electronics, fly rods, wife's purse, etc gone. Stuff was hidden under pillows and blankets in the mini van but out of state plates were like a neon sign I guess.

Hoping the rest of our time here turns out better as that was not a very nice welcome from Americas friendliest city.

Crazy part is that we had just escaped flooding in LA as the last line of cars out of just east of Baton Rouge before the highway topped over and the towns that we were traveling through were inundated.

Never had such a terrible road trip
I'm very sorry this happened to you! The MOD is right, crimes of opportunity happen everywhere but I agree that it is a horrible start to a new life in a new city. Glad you made it out of LA ok, so sad what is happening there.

San Antonio really is a friendly place so I hope the experience doesn't sour you on your new home. Welcome, and get those plates changed! 😉

Old 08-16-2016, 03:07 PM

89 posts, read 97,844 times
Crime happens everywhere LOL ok, but its sure does happen alot more on the east south side.

Old 08-16-2016, 03:12 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetowguy View Post
Crime happens everywhere LOL ok, but its sure does happen alot more on the east south side.
You can add the west side to that list too.

Old 08-16-2016, 04:11 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Property crime is a rite of passage here, on any side of town. Let's hope you got yours out of the way and that won't happen again to you. Park in your garage if possible because car break-ins are just expected if you don't. Even if you don't have anything in there of value. My old neighbor had his truck broken in to and they stole his gas receipts and left about $10 worth of change he had in the console. Just weird.

Welcome to San Antonio and I hope things turn around for you and your family!

Old 08-16-2016, 05:20 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,062,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Property crime is a rite of passage here, on any side of town. Let's hope you got yours out of the way and that won't happen again to you. Park in your garage if possible because car break-ins are just expected if you don't. Even if you don't have anything in there of value. My old neighbor had his truck broken in to and they stole his gas receipts and left about $10 worth of change he had in the console. Just weird.

Welcome to San Antonio and I hope things turn around for you and your family!
Bingo. If it ain't nailed down, they'll take it....even if it is nailed down, they still might!

Old 08-16-2016, 08:48 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,508,599 times
So sorry this happened to you!

My daughter arrived here on May 8, 2001, fresh out of the Air Force Academy at age 22 and her first time away from home. Three weeks later, on May 31, her 23rd birthday, she looked out her apartment window and saw that her car was gone. She called home crying, saying she didn't like it here and wanted to come home.

We assisted her with getting another car by loaning her the money before the insurance settled as she needed transportation. If I recall she had a loaner for several weeks. The day after she bought her new (used) car, her car was found in the apartment complex next door! Someone finally reported it to the police after it had been sitting in the same spot for weeks. So now she had her car back and a car payment on the new car. No pay-out from the insurance company now, they would only pay for repairs.

Thank God she was able to sell the repaired car to someone on the base and then was able to pay us back. She has not been "initiated" since.

Welcome to San Antonio!

Old 08-16-2016, 10:14 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
This isn't just a San Antonio thing or a recent development. I had the same thing happen to me when visiting Syracuse, NY many years ago.

There are parts of SA where vehicle smash and grabs happen so frequently that SAPD has posted signs warning drivers not to leave valuables in their vehicle while it is parked in that lot. I make sure to heed those signs when I'm in those parts of town, because SAPD knows through statistics where these vehicle burglaries happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio