U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 02:16 PM

818 posts, read 985,567 times

Advertisements

I like to keep up with what is going on in and around San Antonio. For more than a decade, one of the primary ways I do this has been the Express News website - mysanantonio.com. I've been noticing for the better part of the last year that it is looking more and more like a tabloid every day with 90% of the content apparently being written by someone that looks like she is fresh out of college - Madelyn Mendoza.

Don't even get me started on the quality of the writing.

So I click on it this afternoon and I have to immediately start scrolling down the page with headlines and pictures that look like a sorority's facebook page. Headlines like - 'Twerking at the Olympics' and 'All night Sex Session Breaks Up Diving Team'.

The Express News has gone beyond crappy reporting straight into becoming NSFW.

Any recommendations for other good SA News outlets online?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 02:28 PM

82 posts, read 172,955 times
I agree - lots of tabloid stuff these days that is pulled from other news sources. If I wanted that I'd find it elsewhere. I'm partial to the Rivard Report. It tends to focus on the downtown and inner city areas, which can be good or bad depending on what you're seeking.

Old 08-16-2016, 03:03 PM

1,792 posts, read 2,443,757 times
All the decent news articles from them have been moved to their pay site.

Old 08-16-2016, 03:10 PM

89 posts, read 70,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedCoffee View Post
I agree - lots of tabloid stuff these days that is pulled from other news sources. If I wanted that I'd find it elsewhere. I'm partial to the Rivard Report. It tends to focus on the downtown and inner city areas, which can be good or bad depending on what you're seeking.
RR is poorly researched trash, he has built it as a NON profit to push his own agenda and make a profit from the city. henry cisneros is one of his biggest supports do I need to say more

Old 08-16-2016, 03:13 PM

37,978 posts, read 55,740,290 times
Cortana on my phone supposed to show me local news, but all from SAEN are blocked...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-16-2016, 03:14 PM

6,174 posts, read 8,651,066 times
A lot if those outrageous articles down at the bottom are paid advertisements and are just click bait for ad revenue. But I agree, it's a crap website. Bring in Austin I wanted it to be my go to for news but I've mostly relied on family keeping me updated.

Old 08-16-2016, 03:14 PM

5,631 posts, read 6,442,869 times
Best option is to pay for access to the actual Express News website, not that great either but better than the alternative.

I kinda like ksat but it is going downhill fast also.

Old 08-16-2016, 03:44 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,379,710 times
You need to pay for the express news.com website for real content. The my-sanantonio.com is definitely a tabloid. It's embarrassing.

A free alternative is The Rivard Report - Urban. Independent. All About San Antonio. As stated above it does tend to focus more on the center city, but the articles are diverse. It's all locally focused, so don't expect national or international news unless it's connected to SA. In general, the writing is of high quality, though often the editing leaves a bit to be desired.

Old 08-16-2016, 04:02 PM

201 posts, read 203,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post

A free alternative is The Rivard Report - Urban. Independent. All About San Antonio. As stated above it does tend to focus more on the center city, but the articles are diverse. It's all locally focused, so don't expect national or international news unless it's connected to SA. In general, the writing is of high quality, though often the editing leaves a bit to be desired.

Seconded about Rivard Report. Most of the articles are about positive happenings too, it's not just crime reports.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:29 PM

89 posts, read 70,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justiciability View Post
Seconded about Rivard Report. Most of the articles are about positive happenings too, it's not just crime reports.
Because its RR is trying to push his agenda of the urban core is a nice place and nothing bad ever happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or