Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 06:47 PM

14 posts, read 12,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
https://www.justia.com/lawyers/famil...-bono-services
you might qualify for free legal help with one or more of the organizations above. Personally, I'd call Rio Grande Legal Aid first.

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/apps/cs_locations/ - you could also go to the SA location of the AG's child support division

Thank you so much! I will try and call some of these places as soon as possible!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
https://www.justia.com/lawyers/famil...-bono-services
you might qualify for free legal help with one or more of the organizations above. Personally, I'd call Rio Grande Legal Aid first.

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/apps/cs_locations/ - you could also go to the SA location of the AG's child support division

Ok, an update.

Since my last post, I went through every single number in those links you gave me. I called them a couple of times on multiple days over multiple weeks now. All dead ends.

St. Mary's University of Law Center for Legal Social Justice (210) 436-3523 - doesn't assist with family law cases and referred me too -----> Center for Social Justice (210) 431-2596

Center for Legal and Social Justice (210) 431-2596 - is "not accepting people at this time"

Bexar County Family Justice center (210) 208-6800 - doesn't assist with family law cases referred me too -----> Texas Rio Grande Aid (210) 212-3700

Texas Rio Grande Aid (210) 212-3700 - can't assist and referred me too ----> San Antonio Bar Association Community Justice Program (866) 988-9996

San Antonio Bar Association Community Justice Program (866) 988-9996 - Gives me the message "not accepting calls at this time"

Family Violence Prevention Services (210) 733-8810 - Phone number is offline/does not work/does not except incoming calls

So all dead ends.

Any further suggestions, recommendations and referrals would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 09-07-2016, 08:50 AM

201 posts, read 279,602 times
I think you called the wrong department at San Antonio Bar Association. Try the San Antonio Bar Association lawyer referral service at 210-227-1853. They will probably be able to find a lawyer who is willing to work with you on a sliding scale for payment. Most people I have referred have been satisfied.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justiciability View Post
I think you called the wrong department at San Antonio Bar Association. Try the San Antonio Bar Association lawyer referral service at 210-227-1853. They will probably be able to find a lawyer who is willing to work with you on a sliding scale for payment. Most people I have referred have been satisfied.
Thanks, I just called the number you gave me (210) 227-1853 and tried to speak to operator/person. It transfered me to a voicemailbox that said "this voicemail box is full" and it hung up on me. It didnt give me an option to do anything else. The automated system before the voicemail box gave me yet another number (210) 227-8828. I called that number and left a voice-mail with my name and number. Not having much luck in the past with leaving my name and number.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:48 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,498,519 times
Try being the non-custodial father and get the Attorney General's office to help you. They treat every father as a deadbeat dad and won't even listen to you.
I could go on for days about the way they have treated me (and MANY other dads )
Good luck in your quest...it is really pathetic how they give everyone the runaround and just blow you off.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
Try being the non-custodial father and get the Attorney General's office to help you. They treat every father as a deadbeat dad and won't even listen to you.
I could go on for days about the way they have treated me (and MANY other dads )
Good luck in your quest...it is really pathetic how they give everyone the runaround and just blow you off.
Yes, I agree with you, I am sure the State (attorney general's office) is terrible in serving people regardless of gender. Its not just you and me. Its every single person.

We are nothing but a number in the millions of numbers they have to assist. They just dont have the resources (or desire) to really thoroughly assist each individual person.

Hence why I may need to get an attorney to get anything done. Whats so special about me vs. the millions the state has to serve? Nothing. I or you dont stand out at all. This is why I may need to pay to get anything done. Its a shame it has to be like that. Aren't our taxes paying the state to help us?

I dont know how I am going to afford an attorney when I make such little money.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:48 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,856,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singlemomsa View Post
Ok, an update.

Since my last post, I went through every single number in those links you gave me. I called them a couple of times on multiple days over multiple weeks now. All dead ends.

St. Mary's University of Law Center for Legal Social Justice (210) 436-3523 - doesn't assist with family law cases and referred me too -----> Center for Social Justice (210) 431-2596

Center for Legal and Social Justice (210) 431-2596 - is "not accepting people at this time"

Bexar County Family Justice center (210) 208-6800 - doesn't assist with family law cases referred me too -----> Texas Rio Grande Aid (210) 212-3700

Texas Rio Grande Aid (210) 212-3700 - can't assist and referred me too ----> San Antonio Bar Association Community Justice Program (866) 988-9996

San Antonio Bar Association Community Justice Program (866) 988-9996 - Gives me the message "not accepting calls at this time"

Family Violence Prevention Services (210) 733-8810 - Phone number is offline/does not work/does not except incoming calls

So all dead ends.

Any further suggestions, recommendations and referrals would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
You might try calling some of these again after October 1st. That's when the financial year for most nonprofits starts, so that's when they have grant money available to help people again.

Also, given your recent financial troubles, you should apply for food stamps and possibly cash assistance. I think if you're getting cash assistance, the state becomes more interested in tracking down the father and collecting child support from him, at least that's how it's worked for a couple of my friends.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
You might try calling some of these again after October 1st. That's when the financial year for most nonprofits starts, so that's when they have grant money available to help people again.

Also, given your recent financial troubles, you should apply for food stamps and possibly cash assistance. I think if you're getting cash assistance, the state becomes more interested in tracking down the father and collecting child support from him, at least that's how it's worked for a couple of my friends.
Thanks for the advice. I will continue to call these places. It is a shame though because yes, it seems many of these places have at least temporarily shut their doors (hence the dead numbers, constant referrals elsewhere and automated messages saying we are not accepting new people at this time). Even the bar referral number seems to be giving me the run around (in an automated way). I left messages when appropriate with everyone though. Not having much success with call backs though.

I am on food stamps but embarrassed to be. I feel ashamed each time I use the card at the register. The thing is, if my son's dad actually was paying 20% of the good money he makes, I wouldn't need to be on food stamps. It cost extra money for an extra room in an apartment, extra food, extra clothing, extra electricity, toys, school supplies and enrollment costs etc. etc. I am doing my fair share financially and all other ways as a parent. The thing is, it takes two too make a child.

I don't understand why the state doesn't seem to understand that if they are refusing millions of us timely service because they don't want to invest into more help/service expansion for more money, then they are causing more money to be spent elsewhere anyway (in this case food stamps) because single parent need these services if they are not getting reasonable support from the other parent. So money will be spent regardless. I didn't know our company was going to cut so many hours. I am actively seeking other employment so I can eventually go to further my education.

The state just seems to refuse to significantly help me even though you, me and every other tax paying Texas resident is paying for the services whether we use them or not. The state wont provide me with any new information. They wont provide me with court dates until a week or two before. They won't even provide me with court papers even though my name is on them so I can take the papers to a private investigator and process server to pay to actually get him serve him. Right now and for years it seems the state is sitting on their hands in regards to serving the father. The father is a deadbeat and while we were never married, he knows about our son but is actively hiding/not answering the door so he is not served. I hired a private investigator to find the fathers whereabouts because the state is dragging its feet and wont help me for years. The thing is, the private investigator found him immediately, why couldn't or wouldn't the state? Why can't the state give me the papers so that I can pay someone again because the state just wont get the job done? Again, we are nothing but numbers among millions that the state just doesn't have the time or resources to deal with each of us adequately.

Last edited by singlemomsa; 09-07-2016 at 09:01 PM..

Old 09-08-2016, 05:30 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,408,536 times
Have you tried your State Representative?

Since they control the funding, it might be a start. I would see if there were a single mom in the office who would understand your situation and take up your cause.

Old 10-07-2016, 07:25 PM

Ok guys, an update. I'm still stuck.

I went to "The Attorney General Child support division" on University Height Bvld. here in San Antonio again today. I am the mother on the case trying to get the father found and served. Even though I know where the father lives (his address in Dallas), again they told me they can not give me any court paperwork relating to the father so I can pay a private process server to get him served myself. They tell me this every time. So, the state doesn't want to give me any information relating to the father. The even sadder part was they made it seem they had no information on the father even though I have given this information to the child support division multiple times (as stated in my earlier posts). Here I am giving this information to them yet again. Are they this incompetent/busy? The person at the desk asked, how did I get all this information on the father. Even though I am frustrated, I politely told her this is the exact same information that was already given to the child support office multiple times now. I also informed her I hired a private investigator. She said, "wow! We had nothing on the father. This is good". When I asked her for the court papers so I can get the father served in Dallas because its been years and the state hasn't done anything, she again informed me she could not give me anything related to our case.

I also spoke to someone at the courts downtown today. I have the case number with my name on it with the father. Even though today wasn't a court date for me, I have been to court dates for many years now with the father being a no show to all of them. I asked the courts today for the same thing I asked the child support office for, the court papers so I could hire a private process server myself so that I can get something done (since the state seems incompetent and incapable of finding and serving the father for many years now). They too told me they couldn't give me anything. That I would have to have been given this information from the child support division. Since the child support division/office wont give it to me, then no one is helping me and no one is giving me anything I can work with.

Per your suggestions, I also called the all the numbers that was given to me in earlier posts. I have done this multiple times over multiple weeks. Nothing is coming of anything. The San Antonio bar association, after going through a bunch of numbers on an automated menu, just goes to voicemail and they don't return my calls. The "non profit" pro bono places are all used up, "not taking people at this time" or the numbers aren't working. I have tried all of them multiple times now.

I even called a few "for profit" attorneys by looking up some of their ratings on "Yelp" and left some short messages with the receptionist. Only 2 have called me back. Both were very expensive. One attorney said it was $1 a minute for the first 3 minutes and then $3 a minute after that. I am a single mom and not well off. I cant afford this rate for an ongoing case. I am having trouble keeping the lights on as it is.

I am stuck. Please offer advice and direction. I am on hard times raising my kids. I need some reasonable financial support from the father. I need to get him served. By paying a private investigator, I found his whereabouts but the state/child support office doesn't want to help me with anything, even though they don't seem able or willing to do it themselves. They wont give me any paperwork so that I can hire a process server for a flat fee to serve the father and ensure the job gets done. What should I do?

Last edited by singlemomsa; 10-07-2016 at 07:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio