Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,287 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone!
So I moved from Philly to San Antonio about 2 years ago. Since then, I haven't been able to find a good hoagie, cheese steak or Chinese place. Majority of places are franchises (Subway, Jimmy Johns, Panda Express, etc) or authentic Mexican places.

If you are from Philly, you are familiar with the term, "Poppy Store".

Don't get me wrong, I like to eat at regular places and restaurants too but sometimes you just want a hoagie or sandwich and a bag of chips from the neighbor corner store. For those of you who do not know what a poppy store is, it's the neighborhood convenience store where you can get anything from hoagies, cheese steaks and breakfast sandwiches made in front of you, cold cuts, eggs, milk, cereal, baby food, candy, cigarettes, newspaper, ice cream, water ice (i think its called snow cones here), candy bars, some have tee shirts, etc, typically owed by Dominicans or someone of a Hispanic background, hints the name, Poppy store.

I asked my only friend here in SA and she directed me to a hood where the 'Poppy" stores have tacos, beer and lottery. UGH

If there is ANYONE from Philly or the East Coast that knows what I am talking about, please let me know where I should go.

-Lost Philly Chick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 10:51 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,243,757 times
Unfortunately we do not have anything like a WaWa or a Scheetz down here.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:56 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,187,379 times
San Antonio isn't Philadelphia, so I doubt you're going to find a Papi store here that offers what you're looking for.

I'm sure there are places where you can get a passable cheesesteak, but I'm not familiar with any. Maybe try this place?
http://www.youzguyzcheesesteaks.com/

A good hoagie can be found at many places around town; Cosmic Dave's is closest to me and they have tasty sandwiches. I'm not a fan of Chinese food, so someone else will have to chime in about that.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:21 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times
I've heard great things about a place called Gino's Stop and Buy (it's a convenience store that has prepared food) and it's at

13210 Huebner Rd
San Antonio, TX 78230
Phone number (210) 764-0602

I've never eaten there but I know it's been there for years and we keep meaning to try it.

For Chinese, Sichuan House on Wurzbach (sorta behind Ingram Mall, don't go on a Tuesday because they're closed) is REALLY good. Pork belly heaven and their General Tso's is fantastic. Kim Wah, Wah Kee, and Delicious Garden are very good.

For hoagies, yikes. We love Firehouse Subs but they're probably not what you're looking for.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:03 PM

950 posts, read 1,259,174 times
Around here most people go to Universal City to Youz Guys for Phillie cheese steaks. One of the guys I work with is from Phillie and goes there quite often.For chinese I usually go to Shanghi on Pat Booker Road,up by the Mr.Gatti's in Universal City. They are the only place her in the Schertz-Cibolo-Universal City area that still makes crispy duck.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:09 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times
Oh, I almost forgot, we also like Wise Guyz for cheesesteaks. (the newer location on Thousand Oaks, never been to the one on West/Nakoma) We tried Youz Guys and didn't like it as well as we liked Wise Guyz. Just a personal preference but we're not Philly experts by any means. We miss Fred's Downtown Philly's in the Dallas area.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:40 PM

89 posts, read 97,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Oh, I almost forgot, we also like Wise Guyz for cheesesteaks. (the newer location on Thousand Oaks, never been to the one on West/Nakoma) We tried Youz Guys and didn't like it as well as we liked Wise Guyz. Just a personal preference but we're not Philly experts by any means. We miss Fred's Downtown Philly's in the Dallas area.
Wise guys is the ****,

Old 08-24-2016, 04:55 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,969,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I've heard great things about a place called Gino's Stop and Buy (it's a convenience store that has prepared food) and it's at

13210 Huebner Rd
San Antonio, TX 78230
Phone number (210) 764-0602

I've never eaten there but I know it's been there for years and we keep meaning to try it.

For Chinese, Sichuan House on Wurzbach (sorta behind Ingram Mall, don't go on a Tuesday because they're closed) is REALLY good. Pork belly heaven and their General Tso's is fantastic. Kim Wah, Wah Kee, and Delicious Garden are very good.

For hoagies, yikes. We love Firehouse Subs but they're probably not what you're looking for.
Gino's is great! Closest thing to a Poppy store I've found in San Antonio, and I grew up in the Poconos. They get pretty busy so I always call in my order. The owners are very friendly too!

Old 08-24-2016, 05:41 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,904,216 times
Hung Fong on Broadway for Chinese

Old 08-25-2016, 05:00 AM

520 posts, read 781,826 times
Central PA native here. I have yet to try Youz Guys, though have heard good things. Best hoagie I've found in TX so far is Hoody's off I35 in Round Rock. Good provolone cheesesteaks but no cheese whiz. Hoody also has Utz Crab Chips and Tastycake Baked (not glazed) pies.

Hoagie rolls, like the pizza dough, are always so dry here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio