Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 06:51 AM
Bo Bo started this thread Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times

Advertisements

Attacks by coyotes on two small dogs have been reported in north side neighborhoods. One attack happened in the Oak Meadow neighborhood, near Huebner Road and NW Military. The other was reported in Hunters Creek, near Huebner Road and Lockhill-Selma. For more details, see the link below.

Warning for small pet owners: coyotes on the prowl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 06:58 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,208,719 times
I hate coyotes!! We live in the country and at night we can hear them just outside of our yard fence trying to "call" out our small dogs. I would have never imagined them being in the city. They are some nasty looking creatures too.
We shoot them every chance we get. Bandera county used to have a bounty on them. I think you would get something like $30/$40 for every dead coyote you brought in.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:26 AM

247 posts, read 844,116 times
They are getting cats in our neighborhood. Two cats have gone missing in the last couple of months. They've been seen crossing Huebner Rd. into the Vineyard subdivision between Huebner and Blanco. I warn people all the time to not leave their dogs in the yard at night.
I would love it if someone would come and track them and shoot them so I could sleep better at night.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:23 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,588,394 times
Coyotes are very resourceful. As their habitat is destroyed so that more subdivisions can be built the habitat of their lively hood is destroyed also. You can shoot them, you can trap them all you want but you will never completely eradicate them. Coyotes have to eat to. If you take away their food source they will find another food source. Don't be surprised if it is your cat or small dog. A lady in a new subdivision near me was in her back yard with her small dog one evening. She was looking skyward, admiring a rather large bird circling overhead. A few moments later the bird swooped down and grabbed the dog and flew away. The bird was just doing what it an it's ancestors have been doing for a very long time. The lady and her dog were just newcomers to it's neighborhood.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:12 PM

126 posts, read 362,995 times
I was going to work last month, it was about 5:30 am. Crossing Wilderness oaks and Canyon Golf. I actually saw a coyote crossing the street w/ a cat in it's mouth.

I got really sad, first for the cat. Then for the poor family of the cat, then I started to feel sorry for the coyote, having to look so hard for food.
Ended up feeling just plain sad for a couple hours.

I really wish some area's would be set aside for land to stay uncut. For the deer, skunks, coyotes and whatever creatures are roaming this way.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:26 PM

944 posts, read 3,063,328 times
That's sad, fitmommy. Keep in mind that when coyotes get hungry enough, they can attack people too (though it's rare). I was riding my bicycle in a park in CA around sundown and a coyote rushed onto the street I was riding on and chased me for at least 20 feet until I pedaled fast enough to get away. There were even a couple of cars driving by at the time and the coyote couldn't have cared less; it was fearless.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:20 PM

321 posts, read 1,069,584 times
I would have thought a naturally agile feline could outpace a canine. Growing up, our family dogs could never catch the neighbor's cats, but I guess a domesticated cat is no match for a lean street smart coyote. Sorry about any of your losses.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:30 PM

348 posts, read 1,222,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
Coyotes are very resourceful. As their habitat is destroyed so that more subdivisions can be built the habitat of their lively hood is destroyed also. You can shoot them, you can trap them all you want but you will never completely eradicate them. Coyotes have to eat to. If you take away their food source they will find another food source. Don't be surprised if it is your cat or small dog. A lady in a new subdivision near me was in her back yard with her small dog one evening. She was looking skyward, admiring a rather large bird circling overhead. A few moments later the bird swooped down and grabbed the dog and flew away. The bird was just doing what it an it's ancestors have been doing for a very long time. The lady and her dog were just newcomers to it's neighborhood.
Well said Snappybob. Most people blame wildlife when the blame should be directed towards the gross over-development that has destroyed wildlifes' natural habitat.

Very sad.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:51 PM

454 posts, read 505,439 times
Anyone worried about coyotes should keep their pets indoors at all times.

It's their habitat you're entering and destroying, it's no surprise they're going to seek out alternative food sources.

It drives me nuts that people want to 'live in the country' but not have to deal with any of the realities of the country - i.e., wild animals. If you don't like coyotes, move to the city.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:44 PM

380 posts, read 1,279,956 times
I have to agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio