U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 05:57 PM

443 posts, read 901,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
While we're on removal of calcium buildup, let me jump on a soapbox real quick..... I know many use CLR.....what so few seem to realize is that its' active ingredient is muriatic acid - which is VERY aggressive and dangerous. I always recommend pickling vinegar - it's a stronger version of regular vinegar, and is sold in most stores. What I love about it is that if one of the kids gets hold of it, they're going to have a sour taste in their mouth - not acid burns.

Lots of folks buy the packets of "descaling solution" for their coffee pots. It's actually citric acid - again, a much milder acid than CLR, and gives off a more pleasing aroma when heated than vinegar does. Pro Tip: You can buy citric acid from a wide variety of sources, including Amazon, for a 6-9 bucks per POUND vs spending a buck or two per packet of cleaner. Just remember a little goes a long way.

As others have mentioned - the old trick of cleaning a shower head - put vinegar/citric acid into a clear baggie, then tie-wrap or tape it over a shower head so the head is fully submerged in the cleaning solution. Leave it on for an hour or so, then remove the baggie and rinse the head. You can clean several shower heads with the same baggie, then pour it into smaller containers and put your faucet aerators in it and clean them, as well.

Citric acid works great for cleaning water coolers as well. The cheapest place in town to get it is from South Texas Spice over off Castroville Road. Last time I bought some it was a little over $5 an lb.

Incidentally, that place is one of the hidden treasures here in town.

South Texas Spice Company
2106 Castroville Rd, San Antonio, TX 78237
(210) 598-6374
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio