Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 03:25 PM

385 posts, read 440,751 times

Advertisements

We are a family of 5 considering a move to the area from Richmond (TX) to be closer to family. We live on the southern end of Richmond where subdivisions, good schools, shopping centers and ranchettes all still co-exist. We like that mix of amenities, open space and less traffic.

I am wondering if there are any towns in the SA metro area that might fit that bill. I understand that, like Houston, the desirable suburbs are north of SA, but that usually comes at a price and with tons of traffic. I work from home mostly but I do need to fly out to see clients on occasion and just would prefer to not hit traffic while trying to catch a plane or like Hwy 6 in Sugar Land, sit in needless traffic to the grocery store because of the density.

I would consider any community around a one hour radius of SAT, but was hoping there might be some newer communities along the southern edge of the city since we like heading to Port Aransas or Rockport on the weekends. We drive there now from Richmond so I do grasp how far away they are from SA. Just another reason why the southern end might make sense for us.

Stockdale looks like it has good schools. Are there any others? Family has suggested New Braunfels or Cibolo, but that's because they live in these areas. :-)

We are looking for new subdivisions with half acre or larger lots...or maybe just bigger than normal??. We'd like to build a new house and the kids want neighbor kids to play with so we can't be too far out. Don't mind getting in early on a new community, but we definitely want a subdivision. We used to live in a rural setting (before Richmond) and the kids don't want the solitude. They are 7,6 and 2.

Any suggestions to send me in a worthy direction will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 09:01 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
I'd check La Vernia. The furthest west and south you go the worse off the districts get. In those areas there are/were lots of families due to Eagle Ford Shale. I'm not sure if that's an issue at this point in time. If not La Vernia I would check Floresville. I'm not sure about neighborhoods though.

Old 09-18-2016, 01:49 PM

7 posts, read 6,591 times
I second floresville. I'm in the process of moving there, and our family requirements were similar to yours. Love the area too! Not secluded per se, but private. And still has easy access to grocery stores, gas stations and all the necessities. My kids have not started school there yet, but from what I have heard the schools are nice and safe. Certainly not anything like th schools in south San Antonio!

Old 09-23-2016, 05:44 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naadarien View Post
We are a family of 5 considering a move to the area from Richmond (TX) to be closer to family. We live on the southern end of Richmond where subdivisions, good schools, shopping centers and ranchettes all still co-exist. We like that mix of amenities, open space and less traffic.

I am wondering if there are any towns in the SA metro area that might fit that bill. I understand that, like Houston, the desirable suburbs are north of SA, but that usually comes at a price and with tons of traffic. I work from home mostly but I do need to fly out to see clients on occasion and just would prefer to not hit traffic while trying to catch a plane or like Hwy 6 in Sugar Land, sit in needless traffic to the grocery store because of the density.

I would consider any community around a one hour radius of SAT, but was hoping there might be some newer communities along the southern edge of the city since we like heading to Port Aransas or Rockport on the weekends. We drive there now from Richmond so I do grasp how far away they are from SA. Just another reason why the southern end might make sense for us.

Stockdale looks like it has good schools. Are there any others? Family has suggested New Braunfels or Cibolo, but that's because they live in these areas. :-)

We are looking for new subdivisions with half acre or larger lots...or maybe just bigger than normal??. We'd like to build a new house and the kids want neighbor kids to play with so we can't be too far out. Don't mind getting in early on a new community, but we definitely want a subdivision. We used to live in a rural setting (before Richmond) and the kids don't want the solitude. They are 7,6 and 2.

Any suggestions to send me in a worthy direction will be appreciated.
Based on your requirements, I would go to LaVernia first. Floresville is ok, but I'm not sure about your acreage requirements there. Stockdale is waaay too rural for you. Honestly, you might be surprised on what you can find in NB or Cibolo/Schertz. Your family isn't lying to you . The schools are better (but much larger) than what you could find S/SE of SA.

Old 09-24-2016, 11:10 PM

Thanks!

I'll take a closer look at La Vernia and Floresville. Is Sulphur Springs ok? Or is that part of La Vernia?

Stockdale reminded me of Brenham (out here in the Houston area). Yes, probably a little more small town-ish than we want.

Are there any communities within 1604 (but south of I-10) worth looking at? Mission del Lago? China Grove? Crestlake?

Old 09-25-2016, 10:37 PM

89 posts, read 97,875 times
floresville, hands down. Its really your only option

Old 10-04-2016, 06:43 PM

8 posts, read 9,588 times
China Grove is in the East Central district which ranks above all of the San Antonio inner city districts save for Alamo Heights. Also a lot of incorporated areas within ECISD that have big lots and houses. Recently graduated from ECHS so this is firsthand info.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:49 PM

8 posts, read 9,588 times
Missed the part about subdivisions but theres one new subdivision next to Calaveras lake with new homes/large lots, and also Quail Ridge (High elevation, you can see the downtown skyline from here.) Be warned that this part of San Antonio is stereotypically country, lifted trucks, hunting, all that good stuff.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twooneo View Post
Missed the part about subdivisions but theres one new subdivision next to Calaveras lake with new homes/large lots, and also Quail Ridge (High elevation, you can see the downtown skyline from here.) Be warned that this part of San Antonio is stereotypically country, lifted trucks, hunting, all that good stuff.
LOL. Lived in Vermont for the last 16 years. Totally used to the country and rednecks. Grew up spending my summers in Texarkana as well. Point taken. :-)

Old 10-11-2016, 09:02 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,007,169 times
I suggest Castroville, Hondo, D'hanis, or Devine. Maybe Sabinal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio