Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 01:47 PM

207 posts, read 319,521 times

Advertisements

I'm not hearing good things about Charter's pricing compared to what we've been paying in San Antonio. Also hearing that they aren't as receptive to retention deals. You have to actually cancel and go somewhere else and then come back to get a good deal. Guess we'll see what happens here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 05:01 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,614,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
So I randomly got a telemarketing call from a company called Spectrum yesterday. Turns out Charter bought time Warner and the new service name of Time Warner is now Spectrum.

The call was to upsell me services I don't need nor do I want. The call was random, nagging, pressured, uncomfortable and it ended disrespectfully. Time Warner used to do this crap (random calls to upsell me services) although it was infrequent. The frequency of it seems to have increased in recent years. If I wanted more services like phone and to re-subscribe to Cable, don't these companies think I would have called them instead of them having to call me?

The phone conversation started out pleasant enough. I can say I remained calm and polite the whole conversation (I know the guy was only doing his job and it is the policy and the company that is annoying not him). Then he got around to asking me about my services. Then he began asking me more personal questions that I felt were a bit unnecessary and uncomfortable. Questions like, what do I use the internet for, what services I stream with, how many streaming services I use, how many people in my house use the internet, where do I call when I make phone calls and how much TV I watch.

I had to repeatedly and respectively tell him that I am not interested in more services. Sometimes he said ok, but then moved to the next service, in which I told him I was not interested. Sometimes he would flat out say "why" when I told him I don't need something (in this case cable TV). Then he would again go back to asking me about Cable even though I just told him that I don't need cable services. Then back to phone even though I told him I wasn't interested. Then he tried to tell me about the packages. Again, I told him I was not interested. As I said before, I have had to repeat myself multiple times with the representative. They just would not take no for an answer. He seemed to have gotten annoyed and he said, "well call us back if you change your mind" and he hung up the phone. No goodbye. No thanks for your time. No, we thank you again for being a customer with us. Just hung up. I thought that was pretty disrespectful considering I didn't just outright hang up on the guy (but heard him out) or give the guy attitude.

Man, competition for Time Warner/Spectrum for the vast majority of San Antonians can not come soon enough. Competition is good for the customer. Not only will prices go down, but hopefully service will go up.

What do you guys think? Are cable companies getting more predatory in the amount of outbound service calls they are making to upsell services because they are losing so much revenue because so many people like me are cutting the cord?
When I get unexpected calls from a business and before they begin there promotions,
I ask for their name and number so that I can call back at a convenient time.
If they refuse then I tell them I have no choice but to end the call.
If they persist, I simply hang up.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:17 PM

422 posts, read 755,676 times
Monopoly is almost over for TW with google coming to town I am jumping ship as soon as it is available.....laters TW I hear TW is boosting speeds X6 in cities where google came to town at the same price but honestly it's crappy service also...

Old 09-24-2016, 12:11 PM

14 posts, read 12,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tejano2828 View Post
Monopoly is almost over for TW with google coming to town I am jumping ship as soon as it is available.....laters TW I hear TW is boosting speeds X6 in cities where google came to town at the same price but honestly it's crappy service also...
Yes! Awesome! Time Warner/Spectrum can no longer sit on charging high rates for slow speeds and have subpar service when more competition comes in. Competition is good for the customer!

Old 09-24-2016, 01:34 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,035,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tejano2828 View Post
The story and the details are hidden by a paywall, but the headline below makes it sound like certain parts of SA are no longer going to get Google Fiber in the near future.

Google Fiber scales back gigabit network footprint in San Antonio (map)

Old 09-24-2016, 03:07 PM

1,024 posts, read 866,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
The story and the details are hidden by a paywall, but the headline below makes it sound like certain parts of SA are no longer going to get Google Fiber in the near future.

Google Fiber scales back gigabit network footprint in San Antonio (map)
Google is doing the same thing in Austin and KC. They say the roll-out is larger than the footprint actually ends up being.

TWC for many of you will remain the option.

Old 09-24-2016, 11:15 PM

14 posts, read 12,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBaby View Post
Google is doing the same thing in Austin and KC. They say the roll-out is larger than the footprint actually ends up being.

TWC for many of you will remain the option.
You mistyped "option" instead of monopoly.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:44 AM

693 posts, read 1,498,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I know you can bring your own compatible modem, and save the monthly rental fee. But buy your own set top box for TV? That one is news to me.

As of late last year TWC ended analog service in San Antonio, and also encrypted all remaining digital channels (including local broadcast), effectively requiring a proprietary set-top box for each TV that is to receive their service. I didn't even know their were cable TV boxes on the market available for purchase.

I was just wondering if you could buy your own but it looks like you can't. The only way to get around not having a rental fee is to cancel your cable subscription. Then purchase an HD antenna for channels like NBC, CBS, FOX, and ABC. If you want to add more channels you can get Sling TV subscription anywhere from $20 to $40 a month depending on the plan. To use it on your TV you would need a streaming device like Amazon firestick, Roku, or Apple TV.

Here is a helpful guide that makes me want to cut the cable cord.

Amazon Streaming Guide

Does anyone have Sling TV? Do you like it? Have you ever had any problems streaming it over the internet? I'm thinking about getting it and wanted opinions.

Last edited by txmusicgal; 09-29-2016 at 03:16 AM..

Old 09-29-2016, 02:56 AM

693 posts, read 1,498,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
SB6183 is currently $90 and on the Approved Modem list for TWC Less than a year and you're ahead.

You can lease a cable card instead if you have something you can put it in. I think they're a little cheaper than a set top box last I checked.

Thanks for the list of approved modems. I'm going to look into getting my own so I can stop paying TWC $10 a month to rent. It will be cheaper in the long run to have my own modem.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:33 AM

4,309 posts, read 7,200,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmusicgal View Post
I was just wondering if you could buy your own but it looks like you can't. The only way to get around not having a rental fee is to cancel your cable subscription. Then purchase an HD antenna for channels like NBC, CBS, FOX, and ABC. If you want to add more channels you can get Sling TV subscription anywhere from $20 to $40 a month depending on the plan. To use it on your TV you would need a streaming device like Amazon firestick, Roku, or Apple TV.

Here is a helpful guide that makes me want to cut the cable cord.

Amazon Streaming Guide

Does anyone have Sling TV? Do you like it? Have you ever had any problems streaming it over the internet? I'm thinking about getting it and wanted opinions.
I think Time Warner/Spectrum is now including one set-top TV box with at least some of their cable subscription plans, at no additional monthly fee. In that case, you could use the included box on one TV, then something like a ROKU on others. As previously mentioned, you need fast enough internet speeds, and a connection to your modem (or wireless router), because now you are streaming those channels. The built-in tuners on TV sets generally are only for reception with an OTA antenna. No such thing as a "Cable-ready TV" anymore. The QAM tuner feature is essentially useless these days.

I have SlingTV with a rooftop antenna. I get about 50 local channels free with the antenna, and my Sling subscription has about 40 cable-type channels for $20/month (+ tax). I'm pretty well satisfied with the setup, and haven't had significant problems with streaming quality (wired connection), but it isn't for everybody. I can record programs received with the OTA antenna, but there is no DVR function with Sling, and you can't record programs using other means, like a DVD recorder, for example. Many of the channels do have on-demand for at least some of the shows. Sling also offers free previews of some of the premium channels (like HBO) from time to time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio