U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 08:29 PM

27 posts, read 20,227 times

Advertisements

You know I'm beginning see a real bias towards any post about Alamo Ranch. I've seen posts calling us tree killers, environment destroyers, I've seen us blamed for urban sprawl, seen posts telling us we have gangs here and strangely most of the posters seem to be from Monte Vista, King William/Lavaca, Mahncke Park, Alta Vista, Alamo Heights, etc.

All I can say is stop HATING! If you don't like Alamo Ranch stop posting on our threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 10:32 PM

824 posts, read 1,601,344 times
TexasTeq:

Please don't take this personally. This ought to be a polite conversation, even though we disagree.

To address your first post: I live in Monte Vista. It's not a "mecca". But there's plenty of older neighborhoods in SA that offer the same sort of mixed-use/mixed-income compact, walkable design that I enjoy.

'm not an empty-nester (30's). And my house is 1,600 sf. You'd have a hard time confusing my house with the masterpieces a few blocks up. Also, I am a "working man", and I pay taxes. Loads of them. I'm not quite sure what that has to do with this issue, anyway.

I don't walk to work. I wish I could. Maybe one day.

I know the Alamo Ranch master plan quite well. Your wife (or any human) is going to have a very, very hard time walking to any of the shops that will ultimately be built there.

The answer as to "why wasn't this planned better" (again, please don't take this personally) is simple: because a lack of planning won't stop people (like you) from buying there. If "the market" demanded better planned neighborhoods, we would build them. Instead, the market demands houses that are priced as low as possible. And developers provide what the market demands.

And if you read my post carefully, you'll see there is no "simple answer" to traffic, in Alamo Ranch or any suburban area. To aruge otherwise is incorrect.

Maybe people from neighborhoods like mine are "hating" on your neighborhood. I, personally, don't have a problem with anyone choosing to live wherever they like. I do, however, get frustrated with people who move into places like Alamo Ranch in an effort to buy an inexpensive new home (and not pay COSA taxes), and then try and burden the rest of us with the massive costs of improving the infrastructure in your subdivision.

There's not a single "Culebra-sized" or "Alamo Parkway-sized" road in my neighborhood. As a matter of fact, there's nothing larger than a 4-lane road. Somehow............we don't have the same awful traffic that Alamo Ranch does..........and if I were you.........I'd be curious about why that is.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:57 AM

119 posts, read 396,068 times
Is Alamo Ranch a nice and safe area?

Old 02-24-2008, 01:06 PM

226 posts, read 793,068 times
Its big, and its gonna take about 10-15 yrs to fully complete itself.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:25 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,607,212 times
dvlpr,

Well said. I agree with your overall sentiment that places like AR are contributors to the traffic problem. It's impossible to build a community that size and not expect traffic to mushroom. However, I would submit that older neighborhoods (such as yours and others downtown) are missing the traffic problems because there is simply not that kind of density along with the shopping that exists on "my" side of town.

In that same vein, I would also submit that you have very little in the way of "big box" stores or malls that further clog the roads with traffic going to and fro. Certainly, there is a need for the "Megalomarts" of the world. I personally avoid them like the plague and leave the pleasure of their patronage to my wife (and thousands of others like her).

I really think that, in order to solve this problem, we must look inside the community instead of beyond its boundaries. The so-called "New Urbanism" model works--I have seen it with my own eyes in many communities of all income levels. A true "town center" would certainly go a long way to reducing traffic between major retail centers. Think how much traffic gets onto 1604 (or side roads connecting to it) with the sole purpose of hitting HEB for groceries. What would happen if the HEB was centrally-located in the community?

Perhaps one day San Antonio will see the light, and the first real "master planned" community will pop up. Until then, we will continue to have traffic problems, and people will continue to complain about it while gleefully signing the closing documents on their new home--which, by the way, is right in the middle of the very traffic they complain about.

--Dim

Old 02-24-2008, 06:07 PM

824 posts, read 1,601,344 times
Dim -

Well said.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:46 PM

443 posts, read 1,359,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTeq View Post
You know I'm beginning see a real bias towards any post about Alamo Ranch. I've seen posts calling us tree killers, environment destroyers, I've seen us blamed for urban sprawl, seen posts telling us we have gangs here and strangely most of the posters seem to be from Monte Vista, King William/Lavaca, Mahncke Park, Alta Vista, Alamo Heights, etc.

All I can say is stop HATING! If you don't like Alamo Ranch stop posting on our threads.
don't worry, they don't say that just to Alamo Ranch, they also bash Stone Oak... for some reason, these people think they live in the best neighborhood, they don't have traffic, and they made the best deicision of their lives of getting homes in these old establish neighborhoods, yada yada, and that the new nicer subdivisions such as stone oak or alamo ranch will soon downgrade in no time...

oh well...

Old 02-24-2008, 08:53 PM

14,613 posts, read 31,138,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winst0n View Post
don't worry, they don't say that just to Alamo Ranch, they also bash Stone Oak... for some reason, these people think they live in the best neighborhood, they don't have traffic, and they made the best deicision of their lives of getting homes in these old establish neighborhoods, yada yada, and that the new nicer subdivisions such as stone oak or alamo ranch will soon downgrade in no time...

oh well...
They seem to forget that trees were cut down for their 'hoods, too. Albeit many years ago, but still. The coyotes even roamed downtown back in the day.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:42 AM

777 posts, read 3,394,790 times
Places inside 1604 (and especially inside 410) are part of the solution. San Antonio doesn't grow up by building more generic houses 20 miles in each two-lane direction of downtown. It evolves by making better use of stock and infrastructure closer to the core, the colleges and the attractions. If a smaller house in Alamo Heights/Northwood/Deerfield or similar places seems less worth it than a big house on Culebra, then rent.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:17 AM

226 posts, read 793,068 times
I have to admit I love the Alamo Ranch area. What I don't like is when builders raze all the trees to build homes instead of leaving a few trees in the back and front yards, like the more expensive builders do. Why do that?

Then they give you a mini tree in the front and nothing in the back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio