U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 08:24 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,350,654 times

Advertisements

I got to see the Phantom in Los Angeles, in its original run with Michael Crawford, Sarah Brightman, the entire original cast. I was a Workers Comp Claims Adjuster and the local doctors salivated at our doors for MedLegal Exam and report referrals, and they courted and wooed us with such tempting things as this.... plus dinners, extravagant lunches, parties, personal gifts, weekend ski trips, yacht parties, ad infinitum....

all against the law now, but boy oh boy, back in the day.... whewwwwwww

The funny thing is, though, that neither I or any of my colleagues were ever swayed by these goodies; we ALWAYS made our choices based on what was best in the case, and we always WANTED an unbiased report; it was to everyone's advantage to do so... and the doctors knew it too, but they still did their 'marketing'......
HAVE FUN AT 'THE PHANTOM' EVERYONE!!!
Now, if it was "Wicked"!!! ohhhhhh yeeeeaaaaaaahhhhh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 01:58 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,330,359 times
Wicked fans, rejoice! In talking with a friend in the marketing dept for the Majestic, it seems as if they've finally secured the National Tour for next season. Sure, it's the fifth National Tour, but at least we're getting it (for about a month, as happened with Hairspray).

Re: The Wedding Singer tour. It's non-eq. The reviews have been terrible, so you may want to rethink or exchange out those tix. I saw it on Broadway and even a pro-cast couldn't save that show. The only thing that entertained was the water-effect at the end of Act I (don't want to spoil it, as I've heard they keep it in the current tour).

I'm still bitter we didn't get Sweeney Todd, with the always-stellar Judy Kaye as Mrs. Lovett. I caught the tour in LA and she was amazing. As good as Patti LuPone in the Broadway revival, but definitely different. Too bad ARTS didn't want to bring it in. A real missed opportunity.

What SA really needs is a hometown EQUITY house. Something along the lines of the Zach-Scott and a place for Equity actors in and around SA to showcase their talent. Believe it or not, there are MANY eq actors here in town who simply change their union name so that they can act at places like The Josephine or San Pedro Playhouse. Sure, it's illegal by EA rules, but it allows them to stay onstage.

I think the Empire would be a perfect spot for this company. It's beautifully redone and isn't being fully utilized at the moment (children's theatre roadshows and the occasional comedian does not keep a theatre going strong).

Arte es vida

BN

Old 02-23-2008, 06:25 PM

409 posts, read 1,424,608 times
San Antonio has Broadway Across America and Big D doesn't! Houston does also. I was a litle surprised to find that out! I'm all for supporting the theatres! OK, I'll try to get good Phantom tickets again! Being new to SAT I have not been to the Majestic yet. How's the seating? Should I be leary of certain areas? Thanks in advance!

Old 02-23-2008, 06:32 PM

Awe, sad to hear that about THe Wedding Singer! I was so excited to have decent seats! I absolutely love Wicked! I'm on board for that one, for sure!

Old 02-23-2008, 09:03 PM

656 posts, read 1,682,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseDana View Post
San Antonio has Broadway Across America and Big D doesn't! Houston does also. I was a litle surprised to find that out! I'm all for supporting the theatres! OK, I'll try to get good Phantom tickets again! Being new to SAT I have not been to the Majestic yet. How's the seating? Should I be leary of certain areas? Thanks in advance!
Your in for a real treat.... The Majestic is one of the most ornate theaters in the country.... The web site says it better than i can....

---------------
The Majestic remains one of the finest atmospheric theatres ever built. Inspired by Spanish Mission, Baroque, and Mediterranean architectural traditions, theatre patrons are transported to a fantasy villa. Walls become towers with windows of colorful glass. A rare white peacock perches on a balcony railing as doves are caught in mid-flight. Grape vines creep along the walls and luscious foliage flourishes. The vaulted "sky" comes to life as stars twinkle while drifting clouds pass by overhead. Balconies, tile roofs, arches, and columns, railings, elaborate ornamentation, statues, and a bell tower all aid in the transformation of the theatre into a mystical village.
---------------

The Majestic Theatre, San Antonio, Texas (http://www.majesticempire.com/history_majestic.html - broken link)

Built at a time when labor was cheap..... No way it could be build for any reasonable amount now....

The only issue I ever had with seats is that the balcony is high, and steep. When we saw Movin' Out the band was on a stage above the main stage floor, and we barely could see it. But Any theatre that steep would have that problem. The Theatre in London where we saw Mama Mia would have had the same issue....

Other than that as always close is better....

Corey

Old 02-24-2008, 12:01 PM

260 posts, read 1,021,291 times
We're going on March 8th

Old 02-24-2008, 01:54 PM

759 posts, read 3,384,361 times
Default got tickets!!

We were fortunate enough to be given tickets- March 7, 9 rows back in the center! We're very excited!

Old 02-24-2008, 09:48 PM

Smitty,
Thanks for the great report! Now I am even more excitied to see the theatre!

Old 02-28-2008, 08:12 AM

13 posts, read 28,678 times
I'm from New York City and have seen all the "classic" shows on Broadway proper. Not going to see a touring company for something I've seen in the best way and place possible.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:36 AM

3,338 posts, read 9,829,438 times
I saw it last night, I thought it was wonderful. Awesome cast, music, costumes.... couldn't have asked or expected a better show. My only complaint was about the Majestic itself. I've never been there before, and I know San Antonioans are proud of it... but seriously... they have ONE woman's bathroom. They had zig-zagged ropes for the line, like at an amusement park. The line weaved through the ropes, through the bar, into the lobby, through the lobby, into the foyer, through the foyer... and they had to have a staff member with a giant sign "Line ends here" just so people could find the end of the line. I know they spent millions on renovating and it doesn't seem like they have room, but add another bathroom- find a way- when you have to hire someone to show people the end of a line almost a city block long for the bathroom, it's time to add more toilets!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio