U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 09:14 PM

3,823 posts, read 9,833,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
The weekend only service is only a few bucks less than the 7-day service. If you like to enjoy the paper every morning, might as well get it everyday.

While on the topic, does anyone else see newspapers becoming obsolete in the next 5-10 years?
True. But I never get around to reading most of the weekday papers (they've been trying to get me to switch to every day).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 10:41 PM

944 posts, read 2,100,985 times
I'm curious, do coupon clippers really save any money? I mean, how many hours do you spend scanning ads, clipping, finding the right oz. sizes, on the right dates, and buying things you don't even use, just to save 3 cents. How can it be worth it? I stand in line behind coupon clippers at H.E.B. and they are so annoying. They are the same people who will spend 5 dollars in gas to drive across town to a gas station where they can save 10 cents/gallon on a fill up.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:18 AM

4,148 posts, read 5,143,067 times
^^^Look she is at it again. How many coupons do you see that save 3 cents??Your already mad(when you get in line) because you have seen alot of fat people in the store wearing their raggy clothes. By the way yes they save. The other day i went to HEB and saved $28 with coupons.

When will it end?

Old 02-24-2008, 06:44 PM

354 posts, read 938,597 times
Little things like that do add up. I used a coupon today for a haircut. It was two dollars off. If I got a haircut every 2 weeks that would be 4 dollars a month saved. 4 X 12 would be 48 dollars a year. Of course its not just 48 dollars because i would be adding that to all the other money that ive saved from making smart choices through out the year and it would add up to a couple hundred dollars. But then maybe hello would argue that the fact that i even went somewhere that accepts coupons to to get a haircut is unacceptable to begin with.

Last edited by metalfish; 02-24-2008 at 07:03 PM..

Old 02-24-2008, 08:30 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $84,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

14,479 posts, read 20,806,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfish View Post
Little things like that do add up. I used a coupon today for a haircut. It was two dollars off. If I got a haircut every 2 weeks that would be 4 dollars a month saved. 4 X 12 would be 48 dollars a year.
I used to get my hair cut at a chain here in town that accepts competitor's coupons. I went there for a couple of years using coupons from my stack of $5 off/no-expiration coupons from one of their more expensive competitors, until they put a $2 limit on competitor coupons.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:55 AM

1 posts, read 7,382 times
I save an average of 33% to 50% off each of my grocery bills using coupons combined with sales. (That's with coupons and regular groceries I need, too. Coupon items themselves save me from 75% - 100% to even paying me to take the item off their shelves!) The trick is to use a website that has a database of the stores in your area which shows you the sales they've been advertising. They match sale prices up with current coupons and show you the percentage you save. See, supermarkets hike up prices when this weeks new coupons are out. Later, say a month or two, the price goes down or is on sale. That's when your coupons are worth the most. I usually wait until I have at least 75% off to buy an item then stock up on it. You just buy 3 sunday papers every sunday and write the date on the front of each circular then file them away until you're ready to go shopping. Then, when you're ready, you go to the online database, which does all the math for you. Click on the best deals for your store and then print up the list. It has the dates that the coupons were published on the list you just printed out. Then you go to your coupon file and look for the coupon in that date's publication and clip. I've gotten so many items so low that they're either free or the store even sometimes ends up paying me for some items! I only spend about 15 minutes from log-in to the last coupon clipped before I go shopping. And my papers are delivered to me every Sunday. You really can't beat that. PS - the online site I use is couponmom.com. And no, I don't work for them and get no benefit from telling you this. My last bill: $177 worth of groceries for $82. I saved 54%. My record: $319 worth of groceries for $124 I saved 61%. As for waiting in line behind fat people with coupons... I couldn't care less. If you don't find saving money on the food you feed your family, that's your business. Mine is just smarter, that's all.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:49 AM

5,126 posts, read 6,955,774 times
Spent 5 minutes clipping 8 really useful coupons this morning at work. The Sunday newspaper is delivered to our office and nobody really looks at the coupons so I take advantage of them and leave them in the reception area. I also scan the internet for printable coupons on stuff that is already on my shopping list. Sometimes the coupon is useful, sometimes it is not because the store brand is much cheaper than using the coupon with a brand name.
I don't go 5 miles across town for cheaper gas; that's a no winning battle unless the cheapest gas in town is on your way to work or errands.
I was at the self checkout this weekend at Wal Mart and I used tons of printable coupons and of course people get frustrated because I have about 15 items, got to scan my coupons and they have 2 items. I saved $4 on things I needed to buy anyways.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:02 PM
Status: "Character is what you do when no one is looking..." (set 22 days ago)

21,012 posts, read 22,187,467 times
Skeet09: Check online. Is a nice break when you online at work. Here is a link I use frequently: www.spoofee.com ( put your zip code, check coupons and weekly ads)
Another good one: www.deals.com ( you don't need to subscribe to both of them - hate it!)
Also each HEB has own wall with coupons at the store.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:12 PM
Status: "Character is what you do when no one is looking..." (set 22 days ago)

21,012 posts, read 22,187,467 times
jody624: most coupons from Sunday's paper have a very short life. Store grocery coupons are good for a week or 10 days at the most. No reason to buy 3 papers and have it stored. Sadly, I have noticed that most coupons are for stuff of fair quality or things I do not use or eat (fatty/sweet/salty junk food). The good brand products have coupons issued from the brand company/vendors.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:39 PM

5,126 posts, read 6,955,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
jody624: most coupons from Sunday's paper have a very short life. Store grocery coupons are good for a week or 10 days at the most. No reason to buy 3 papers and have it stored. Sadly, I have noticed that most coupons are for stuff of fair quality or things I do not use or eat (fatty/sweet/salty junk food). The good brand products have coupons issued from the brand company/vendors.
Yeah, I noticed it too! Is it just me or it seem the time has gotten much shorter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio