Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 06:01 PM

894 posts, read 1,547,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest1492 View Post
USAA allows you to set the set daily limits for each of the following on debit cards:

*ATM withdrawals
*Purchases with a PIN
*Purchases without a PIN

Why don't you see if you can set the two daily purchase limits to 0 (or as close to 0 as possible if 0 isn't an option). Seems like that would be a lot simpler way to handle this issue if you are worried about your card being compromised.
I have no idea if they can be set to zero, but when I called they certainly didn't suggest that as a possibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2016, 06:12 PM

905 posts, read 2,959,750 times
The USAA website states that a PIN will be needed to w/d cash at an ATM for cash or credit cards. Is the OP saying that this is not true? I thought you could go online and customize your PIN/security question/etc. These new debit/credit cards also have the embedded chips for 'added security'.

An alternative might be to set up another account and only keep an amount in it that you deem necessary for cash withdrawals. The USAA website allows you to be creative with your accounts. Try looking into this or call and hopefully get someone that will help you set things up so you feel secure. I think it might be a case of you having to initiate the PIN option from your account settings.

Old 09-25-2016, 06:30 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
The USAA website states that a PIN will be needed to w/d cash at an ATM for cash or credit cards. Is the OP saying that this is not true? I thought you could go online and customize your PIN/security question/etc. These new debit/credit cards also have the embedded chips for 'added security'.

An alternative might be to set up another account and only keep an amount in it that you deem necessary for cash withdrawals. The USAA website allows you to be creative with your accounts. Try looking into this or call and hopefully get someone that will help you set things up so you feel secure. I think it might be a case of you having to initiate the PIN option from your account settings.
I think he was worried about purchases which would only need a signature.

I'm already using my new USAA debit card with the chip and it seems kind of random about when I need to sign or use a pin or nothing at all...for example used it at Walmart pharmacy yesterday for $5.98 and had to put in my pin, then used it at Walmart's regular checkout for $32.44 and did not have to sign or enter the pin.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:46 PM

201 posts, read 382,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybolt View Post
I have no idea if they can be set to zero, but when I called they certainly didn't suggest that as a possibility.
You can set the limits directly in the phone app, you don't even have to log on to USAA.com.

Old 09-26-2016, 03:43 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,049,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybolt View Post
No! That is a defeatist attitude. I choose to shape my environment to my liking. I'm not going through life just to survive. I may be retired from the military and moved onto a second career, but I'm still a warrior and have the warrior mentality. Guess not all folks that served were able to hang onto that...if they ever got it at all. Change can happen if enough of us care. If you don't care, then stop trying to drag down those of us who do.

Here is a quote to energize you:
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat".
- Theodore Roosevelt at the Sorbonne, 1910

Now who is with me? C'mon folks, pick up that phone and call! Register your disatisfaction!
When you get to a certain age in life, you learn to pick and choose your battles. Most of the things people ***** and complain about have to do with "change" which a lot of folks have a hard time dealing with. It has nothing to do with a defeatist attitude, it has to do with rejecting unnecessary stress in your life and adapt and overcoming hurdles.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:51 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,119,686 times
Here's another suggestion. It requires you to be a little tech savvy, so it is not for everyone. I used to work for 10 years in what would become Bank of America's IT department for Credit Card. So, I know my way around these subjects.

The great thing about phone features such as Apple Pay is that your actual number is not stored on the phone. It is a number which is mapped to your actual number. During the point of sale transaction while using it, it generates another temporary number which is only valid for the transaction at hand. I use this all the time while at places that take Apple Pay. The problem is that not many do. If you want to investigate it, it first requires that the card you are using to support Apple Pay. I would also use the fingerprint technology on the phone. So, you store the debit card number in the Apple Wallet, which is not the actual number. You set up paying using your fingerprint. You literally hold your phone up to the device, give it your fingerprint and you are done.

People argue that this may not be as secure. They are wrong. It is more secure than a swipe of your card. The transaction is disposable. If intercepted, it is encrypted. Even if decrypted, it is useless information because the transaction is passed and can't be used again.

It's not for everyone. But when it comes to Walgreens, I also have my Walgreens card in my Apple wallet. I love to watch the tech savvy 20-somethings behind the counter mouths open pretty wide when they see my whole transaction be two finger print touches of the phone. Some have never even seen it done before. Kids...

Old 09-26-2016, 10:15 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
It doesn't take 10+ years of banking experience or to be tech savvy to learn how to use Apple Pay. Unlike a debit card, you can't just use it anywhere and that is why you don't see it being used often. Not all banks even allow you to merge their debit card with apple wallet. I know mine doesn't.

If I do use apple pay, it is tied in with my AMEX CC.

Old 09-26-2016, 04:35 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,556,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
It doesn't take 10+ years of banking experience or to be tech savvy to learn how to use Apple Pay. Unlike a debit card, you can't just use it anywhere and that is why you don't see it being used often. Not all banks even allow you to merge their debit card with apple wallet. I know mine doesn't.

If I do use apple pay, it is tied in with my AMEX CC.

But USAA does.

Old 09-26-2016, 06:31 PM

218 posts, read 501,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
True, but, I have had two dedit cards 'hacked' over the 15+ years I've been with USAA. Both times, they immediately put the money back in my account and cancelled the debit cards. They do investigate the matter and that might actually take a couple of months but the money is returned immediately.

The biggest hassle is waiting a week or so to get a new debit card but I can't blame USAA for that.
I've had my USAA debit card hacked twice in the last year.

First time the made a dummy card and withdrew $1200 from an ATM in Dallas. They made me wait the 7-10 days before refunding any money.

Second time was just today. It was used to pay a layaway at a Kmart in Massachusetts. There were 2 charged totaling about $900. USAA told me since they are pending to wait and then file a fraud report. They told me again after that it would be 7-10 days to get my money back.

After 21 years I am really contemplating switching banks.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:27 PM

520 posts, read 782,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
Here's another suggestion. It requires you to be a little tech savvy, so it is not for everyone. I used to work for 10 years in what would become Bank of America's IT department for Credit Card. So, I know my way around these subjects.

The great thing about phone features such as Apple Pay is that your actual number is not stored on the phone. It is a number which is mapped to your actual number. During the point of sale transaction while using it, it generates another temporary number which is only valid for the transaction at hand. I use this all the time while at places that take Apple Pay. The problem is that not many do. If you want to investigate it, it first requires that the card you are using to support Apple Pay. I would also use the fingerprint technology on the phone. So, you store the debit card number in the Apple Wallet, which is not the actual number. You set up paying using your fingerprint. You literally hold your phone up to the device, give it your fingerprint and you are done.

People argue that this may not be as secure. They are wrong. It is more secure than a swipe of your card. The transaction is disposable. If intercepted, it is encrypted. Even if decrypted, it is useless information because the transaction is passed and can't be used again.

It's not for everyone. But when it comes to Walgreens, I also have my Walgreens card in my Apple wallet. I love to watch the tech savvy 20-somethings behind the counter mouths open pretty wide when they see my whole transaction be two finger print touches of the phone. Some have never even seen it done before. Kids...
Chip and Pin operates on the same principle, the chip generates a one-time transaction code which even if intercepted can not be reused. The problem is that it is not universally accepted yet so we also have the extremely vulnerable printed information and clonable magnetic strip. One worldwide adoption has been made I expect that all that will be on cards is your name and the chip. The next iteration will probably some smaller slottable device like an SD Card so you can just insert and pay even when shopping online at home (along the lines of what Apple is trying to do with most recent release of MacOS).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio