Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 10:59 AM

4,421 posts, read 5,294,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Of the large metropolitan areas, those with population greater than two million, San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX (5.9 percent) and Austin-Round Rock, TX (5.0 percent) were the fastest growing large metropolitan areas. San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX was led by a strong contribution from natural resources and mining (2.51 percentage points), while growth in Austin-Round Rock, TX was led by professional and business services (1.57 percentage points).
BEA: News Release: GDP by Metropolitan Area, 2015

This was a little surprising since the Eagle Ford has been hit so hard but this is no little feat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 01:59 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,359,129 times
Yet another accolade for this great city. No small feat indeed, rynetwo.
I like the gasoline prices just as they are and the Eagleford oilfields remain.
The country could use cheaper gas. A good thing it is that Hurricane Matthew did not come here to Texas. Any excuse is used to raise the price per gallon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
BEA: News Release: GDP by Metropolitan Area, 2015

This was a little surprising since the Eagle Ford has been hit so hard but this is no little feat.

Old 10-05-2016, 04:07 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,928,911 times
wow Congrats San Antone but I wish the price of gas was higher for the health of the Eagle Ford.
-WT

Old 10-05-2016, 04:11 PM

6,691 posts, read 8,699,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Yet another accolade for this great city. No small feat indeed, rynetwo.
I like the gasoline prices just as they are and the Eagleford oilfields remain.
The country could use cheaper gas. A good thing it is that Hurricane Matthew did not come here to Texas. Any excuse is used to raise the price per gallon.
First...we are one of the top travel destinations and now we have the fastest growing economy. I just feel all warm and fuzzy as a San Antonio resident reading data reports like this.

Old 10-05-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
First...we are one of the top travel destinations and now we have the fastest growing economy. I just feel all warm and fuzzy as a San Antonio resident reading data reports like this.
This is an actual fact backed up by data. The other thread cannot have the same said about it.

Old 10-05-2016, 04:41 PM

6,691 posts, read 8,699,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
This is an actual fact backed up by data. The other thread cannot have the same said about it.
I didn't deny the data in the link you provided so no need to ruffle up your feathers. It is quite believable and while I am fine with some growth, in reality I am no fan of such rapid and fast growth.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
I didn't deny the data in the link you provided so no need to ruffle up your feathers. It is quite believable and while I am fine with some growth, in reality I am no fan of such rapid and fast growth.
No feathers ruffled. This is very good. We are finally see incomes here rise to national levels and industry is taking note. As a home owner in a very convenient part of town this is great.

We just axed our LA sales division hoping they would all move here. I'll wait and see.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:55 PM

61,020 posts, read 85,838,736 times
Large - over 2M population metro areas - yes. But 5.9% is not so impressive compared to 9.4% in Midland, TX
The region’s economy has grown by at least 7.5% every year since, including a 23.7% leap in 2012. It has been among the top 10 growing U.S. metros each year.
These cities have the fastest growing economies

Old 10-05-2016, 09:45 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,568,881 times
Quote:
natural resources and mining (2.51 percentage points), while growth in Austin-Round Rock, TX was led by professional and business services (1.57 percentage points).
This is the issue with the two cities. Natural resources versus Tech. These two industries are so different in the way they recruit and the caliber of talent and jobs that they create. Until San Antonio can create the same high paying jobs that the Austin area does it will not be on the same level as Austin. (Not that I'm advocating for an Austin part two....but...I'll see myself out...)

Old 10-05-2016, 10:43 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,548 posts, read 57,460,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
This is the issue with the two cities. Natural resources versus Tech. These two industries are so different in the way they recruit and the caliber of talent and jobs that they create. Until San Antonio can create the same high paying jobs that the Austin area does it will not be on the same level as Austin. (Not that I'm advocating for an Austin part two....but...I'll see myself out...)
Would be delightful if SA would excel at some 'other' economic opportunities 'Different' from AUS

Would be a 'natural' for SA to take a regional Medical and Manufacturing lead. And it has a nice headstart / infrastructure / workforce population / proximity to do so.

There are some great opportunities, but they require foresight and significant investment risk (and a trained workforce) is SA up to providing / enabling it? +/- or will we 'hide' from ourselves and let the opportunities pass by?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio