Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 09:01 AM

2,397 posts, read 6,454,210 times

Advertisements

Crazed Chef:

Let the stirring begin...

I understood where she was coming from in her first post, however, the quote below is what pissed me off
Quote:
....but it does 'disturb' when it is was mainly cubans that get all those perks for sticking their big toes on American soil.........and have the audacity to barely have the saltwater dried off their backs and then want immediately what scores of generations of americans have worked hard to try to obtain.
Do you have any idea how many inferences have been made to me about being a "w.e.t.b.a.c.k.?" I was born and raised in the United States. My father served this country. IMO, unless she had evidence that the people to whom she is referring were actually born in Cuba and SWAM their way to Miami, she has no business saying crap like this. That IS a racist comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 11:39 AM

454 posts, read 504,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
Crazed Chef:

Let the stirring begin...

I understood where she was coming from in her first post, however, the quote below is what pissed me off

Do you have any idea how many inferences have been made to me about being a "w.e.t.b.a.c.k.?" I was born and raised in the United States. My father served this country. IMO, unless she had evidence that the people to whom she is referring were actually born in Cuba and SWAM their way to Miami, she has no business saying crap like this. That IS a racist comment.
And even then, such people have every right to make an offer on a house or want nice things. She doesn't have to accept the offer.

We low-ball offered on a couple of places - we offered what they were worth, well below the inflated asking prices. I'm sure the owners were insulted. Wonder how insulted they felt when 1.5 years later their houses were still on the market and they dropped their asking price to below what we offered? But that's not her complaint I think. More like she's bothered than non-whites actually think they have the right to the same lifestyle as the whites. It's ok if they stick to low-level jobs, but heaven forbid they should want more.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakapu View Post
And even then, such people have every right to make an offer on a house or want nice things. She doesn't have to accept the offer.

We low-ball offered on a couple of places - we offered what they were worth, well below the inflated asking prices. I'm sure the owners were insulted. Wonder how insulted they felt when 1.5 years later their houses were still on the market and they dropped their asking price to below what we offered? But that's not her complaint I think. More like she's bothered than non-whites actually think they have the right to the same lifestyle as the whites. It's ok if they stick to low-level jobs, but heaven forbid they should want more.
You would think that someone selling a home would know that this is how the game is played. Of course, I guess it matters what color skin the other player has.

Heaven forbid, someone of color would like to live the American dream!

Old 02-29-2008, 02:35 AM

351 posts, read 1,584,408 times
Hello again,

I have re-read her posts and I do not get that impression. I do not equate "saltwater" with "*******". That seems to be to be to much of a leap JMHO (really I am not trying to flame you; just disagreeing).

From the two people who I work with her in Iraq that did live there, I always got the impression that the Cubans who lived in Miami DO have a sense of entitlement that goes way beyond boundaries. Described to me by these guys were the enclaves of Cubans who made no effort to become Americans. Discrimination was rampant against anyone not Cuban.

That is the big difference between the immigrants of yesteryear i.e. Ellis Island and the Cuban Enclaves in Miami who want to turn areas there into "Little Cuba".

Once again, this is not first hand info, just what a couple of people from Florida who I talked to here told me.

I do not believe they meant any offense when asking about San Antonio.

Have a Great Day!

crazedchef

Old 02-29-2008, 07:04 AM

454 posts, read 504,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedchef View Post
Hello again,

I have re-read her posts and I do not get that impression. I do not equate "saltwater" with "*******". That seems to be to be to much of a leap JMHO (really I am not trying to flame you; just disagreeing).
How on earth can they be different? Not only are they both slurs based on someone's ethnic origins, they're nearly identifcal terms!

Quote:
From the two people who I work with her in Iraq that did live there, I always got the impression that the Cubans who lived in Miami DO have a sense of entitlement that goes way beyond boundaries. Described to me by these guys were the enclaves of Cubans who made no effort to become Americans. Discrimination was rampant against anyone not Cuban.

That is the big difference between the immigrants of yesteryear i.e. Ellis Island and the Cuban Enclaves in Miami who want to turn areas there into "Little Cuba".

Once again, this is not first hand info, just what a couple of people from Florida who I talked to here told me.

Have a Great Day!

crazedchef
Word of warning: Do not take the account of two individuals when insulting an entire group of people. Though I disagree vehemently with the OP's comments and am disgusted by her insults, at the very least she has indeed lived it and formed her opinions first hand, albeit based on her own initial prejudices (and those prejudices are the reasons I don't think she'd appreciate San Antonio).

Old 02-29-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Hello again,

Have a Great Day!

crazedchef
OMG! How could you not see the similarities in the phrase "saltwater dried off their back" and "w.e.t.b.a.c.k"? It is a RACIST comment!

While initially, the OP may not feel the same about people of Mexican descent as opposed to those of Cuban heritage, eventually, she would come to feel the same way. Somehow, I get the impression that she sees Texas Latinos as being meek and submissive. Maybe too many old Westerns!

Old 03-01-2008, 12:59 AM

Hello,

Ok, Ok,

I agree that we disagree. Different viewpoints is what makes the world go round.

Chakapu, I have been to Miami, just not lived there. Yes, I felt the same way, like an outsider in my own country.

The difference between illegal aliens from all of the Latin countries coming across the border and the Cubans stepping "One Big Toe" is that they are automatically U.S.citizens with all of the rights and freedoms that other immigrants have to work years to earn. Pointing out this difference is not racist. Having an opinion about another group of people does not make you "racist".

crazedchef

Old 03-01-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
The difference between illegal aliens from all of the Latin countries coming across the border and the Cubans stepping "One Big Toe" is that they are automatically U.S.citizens with all of the rights and freedoms that other immigrants have to work years to earn. Pointing out this difference is not racist. Having an opinion about another group of people does not make you "racist".

crazedchef
Pointing out the differences between Cubans and other immigrants would've been one thing, but the OP was not alluding to that. She was complaining that Cubans who come to the U.S. want what generations of Americans worked hard for. Isn't that the reason why immigrants come to the U.S. in the first place - to have what Americans have?

You are correct, having an opinion about another group of people doesn't make you racist. It makes you prejudiced (an irrational attitude of hostility directed against an individual, a group, a race, or their supposed characteristics). Neither of which is a positive trait.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:24 AM

Hello Again,

I had a long reply written, just erased it.

Have a Great Day!

crazedchef

Sometimes bad things happen to good people and they become very defensive over nothing.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Sometimes bad things happen to good people and they become very defensive over nothing.
WTF?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio