U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 07:13 PM

454 posts, read 369,946 times

Advertisements

You will have zero problem finding a position in SA. I have heard that the area is short 300 nurses per day - ie if they could hire 300 nurses everyday there still would not be quite enough....We're desperate here.

Non-spanish speaking won't hurt at all. Sure, it'd make things easier if you were, but it's rare to have no one around who is not Spanish speaking. I do recommend taking some courses (offered locally) in "Medical Spanish" just to make life a little easier, but it's by no means a necessity. It's much easier here, even with having more spanish speaking patients.

I'm not an RN, but work in health and am familiar with both in general. Both are well respected.

btw - NW Indiana, or at least not far from there, has a large hispanic population. Head towards Elkhart and you'll find tons of new Mexican immigrants. It's a funny place - near Amish country and you find horse and buggies at Supermercado Rosales . I lived in South Bend for awhile, and was interested to find significant populations of new immigrants. Then of course there's Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 08:55 PM

7 posts, read 19,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakapu View Post
You will have zero problem finding a position in SA. I have heard that the area is short 300 nurses per day - ie if they could hire 300 nurses everyday there still would not be quite enough....We're desperate here.

Non-spanish speaking won't hurt at all. Sure, it'd make things easier if you were, but it's rare to have no one around who is not Spanish speaking. I do recommend taking some courses (offered locally) in "Medical Spanish" just to make life a little easier, but it's by no means a necessity. It's much easier here, even with having more spanish speaking patients.

I'm not an RN, but work in health and am familiar with both in general. Both are well respected.

btw - NW Indiana, or at least not far from there, has a large hispanic population. Head towards Elkhart and you'll find tons of new Mexican immigrants. It's a funny place - near Amish country and you find horse and buggies at Supermercado Rosales . I lived in South Bend for awhile, and was interested to find significant populations of new immigrants. Then of course there's Chicago.
I know exactly what you're talking about, I went to Goshen college and am familiar with Elkhart...have not been that way for the past 8 years but from what I hear both Elkhart and Goshen have a growing hispanic population. I currentlly work in South Bend, (live in St Joseph MI)...good to hear from an ex-southbender...thank u for the info.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevneze View Post
I know exactly what you're talking about, I went to Goshen college and am familiar with Elkhart...have not been that way for the past 8 years but from what I hear both Elkhart and Goshen have a growing hispanic population. I currentlly work in South Bend, (live in St Joseph MI)...good to hear from an ex-southbender...thank u for the info.
Ah, then Elkhart is just down the road ;-)

I lived there for 4 yrs in grad school, used to drive to MI on Sundays for beer . I miss some things about it, mainly X-country skiing, though I am ok with no Lake Effect snow and 90F days in February.

Oddly enough, I've found better tequila in South Bend than in San Antonio.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:50 PM

138 posts, read 380,898 times
Just a question- is the private sector pay scale part of the shortage problem? I have a couple nurse friends here (I too am a nurse, but have not worked in a few years, so am not up to date on salaries). I was shocked at how low paying the hospitals were- $18-27/hour. Civil service is must better- I have not worked civil in just over 10 years, and was getting $43/hour then. What is the info in SA?

Old 02-29-2008, 10:19 PM

I think it's just that the healthcare industry is growing too fast too keep up with the availability of nurses. There are new hospitals and assorted car facilities opening up all the time.

From my perspective nurses in the private sector get paid very well for San Antonio (maybe not compared to SA, but remember the salary scale is different here across the board), but then I work in public health, which gets paid embarassingly low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio