U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-24-2008, 03:31 PM

7 posts, read 14,874 times
Cool RN looking to move to SA...

Hiya:

If there are any RNs who have moved from the midwest to SA, I'd love to hear about your experience.

I currently work in cardiovascular with an Indiana License and am hoping to work in a similar unit in SA.

My wife teaches 6th grade with a Michigan license and if anyone knows how easy or hard of a process it is to obtain a TX teaching license, i'd love to hear the process/experience.

Hope to hear from the RNs in this forum.

Jeeves
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 08:16 PM

554 posts, read 1,569,041 times
Do you work in a hospital setting or a doctor's office/outpatient surgery setting?

Old 02-25-2008, 09:06 AM

Default work in hospital...

currently work in a hospital, unit is cardiac specific, post open heart surgery, pre and post cardiac cath and telemonitoring.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:11 AM

28 posts, read 63,840 times
Methodist Hospital. I've worked there for ten years. Give them a call: big RN bonus!

Old 02-26-2008, 04:05 AM

5,730 posts, read 8,688,473 times
I work Civil Service at Wilford Hall...but you will have NO issues finding a job here. Cardiac experience is ALWAYS a huge plus!

Old 02-26-2008, 12:14 PM

thank you for your responses, I was looking into Methodist hospital.
There isn't a huge hispanic population in northwest indiana, however have taken care of spanish speaking patients (i don't speak spanish) and it was a little difficult as I would have to use the hospital translation service and it made patient care a little more difficult, especially when it came to admission and assessment.

How is Methodist hospital's transaltion services?...and in terms of being hired, would i be at a great disadvantage as i am a non-spanish speaker?

Old 02-26-2008, 01:08 PM

4,263 posts, read 6,940,339 times
Note to self..""must speak Spanish" "must speak Spanish"

Old 02-26-2008, 01:14 PM

5,730 posts, read 8,688,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevneze View Post
thank you for your responses, I was looking into Methodist hospital.
There isn't a huge hispanic population in northwest indiana, however have taken care of spanish speaking patients (i don't speak spanish) and it was a little difficult as I would have to use the hospital translation service and it made patient care a little more difficult, especially when it came to admission and assessment.

How is Methodist hospital's transaltion services?...and in terms of being hired, would i be at a great disadvantage as i am a non-spanish speaker?
Not at all...SA is hurting for nurses, just like everywhere else.

There is also the Texan Heart Hospital here, don't know if you are aware or interested. You will find that there will always be someone here that can translate...us "non spanish speakers" get along just fine!

Welcome to SA...you will love it here!

Old 02-26-2008, 03:08 PM

Default Texan Heart vs. Methodist Heart

thank you!!!
i am looking forward to SA, it's 15 and snowing right now in SW MI... absolutely wretched.

Any RNs willing to say which is the better hospital to work at, Texan Heart vs. Methodist Heart

Old 02-26-2008, 07:05 PM

8 posts, read 16,531 times
Default non spanish speaking RN

I have lived and worked as an RN in San Antonio for the last 20 odd years. I am also non-spanish speaking and work in one of the Methodist Hospitals( downtown) and most of my patients are spanish speaking. Since I am one of the few who do not speak spanish, there is never a problem finding someone to translate for me. The Methodist Healthcare system is the premier employer of nurses in San Antonio. Competitive salaries, educational opportunities, and many advancement opportunities available to the nursing staff exist within the Methodist system as well as tuition reimbursement. I have never regretted making MHS my home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio