Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 06:04 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times

Advertisements

Not sure how many of you are purple martin lovers, but the scouts are back.

They are such a joy (and bonus as they eat LOTS of mosquitos and other flying insects) to have around, such a sociable bird. They chirp and chatter and have such beautiful songs. They don't mind being around people and live in groups, so are lots of fun to watch. We have put up their special type of housing (condo's for birds) at both our homes in SA and had them move in that same season both times. If you keep cleaning out the sparrow nests, they WILL come.

Now is the time to put up a purple martin house if you are interested in adopting them for the season.

Website info listed for this that are not familiar with this wonderful bird...if you have kids, they are so fun.

All About Birds: Purple Martin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 06:47 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,887,890 times
I already set up 2 condos for them. Does that mean I have an estate with a house and 2 condos on the property? Damn, that would be a good pick up line!!!!

Old 02-25-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
I already set up 2 condos for them. Does that mean I have an estate with a house and 2 condos on the property? Damn, that would be a good pick up line!!!!
You slum lord you! Becareful that BCAD does not find out about it, or they will raise your property taxes! LOL They ARE fun birds to have around, aren't they???

I love the way they talk to each other, especially in the mornings. And it is so fun to watch them raise their little ones!

Old 02-25-2008, 06:54 PM

394 posts, read 1,506,469 times
Oh wow that sounds so neat! By the time we get settled and move it I would assume it to be too late, but I'll look forward to doing something like this next year. It will be cool to see and enjoy different types of birds and wildlife than are common in KY.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:00 PM

409 posts, read 1,561,627 times
I had Purple Martins once upon a time and did enjoy them. You've inspired me to set up housekeeping for them again!

Old 02-25-2008, 07:35 PM

126 posts, read 425,233 times
We have a purple martin house thats pretty beat up.... anyone know where I can buy a new one locally? I have been promising our birds that we would get them a new house for the last 3 years and by the time I think of it they are already nesting..

Old 02-25-2008, 10:23 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,775,877 times

"Sex Differences

Male all dark, female dingy below."

^
from the link you provided, Debe

hmmmm.... dingy below huh??? LOLOL

They are beautiful aren't they?
You know what I miss, sooooo much???
Goldfinches.... Oh my goodness, they are soooo beautiful, I put out a feeder one spring and within an hour, I had goldfinches on every single perch...

I miss seeing them soooo much!!

Old 02-26-2008, 02:55 AM

21 posts, read 107,854 times
I'm also interested in buying/building a condo for them. Where can I find a box to buy or the dimensions for each condo and the entry hole? do they require a perch under the hole or will they fly in? and i guess how many apartments is a good number for a box 6, 9,12?

Old 02-26-2008, 03:20 AM

You can get them at Home Depot or Lowe's. They are deceiving because they come flat in a box and you have to assemble. You might try Walmart as well, but no matter big or small (8-32) holes, they WILL move in. The only issue is the sparrows try to first sometimes, and you just lower it (pin type pole) and get the sparrow nests out so the martins have the ability to move in. Their nests are completely different (martins are "flat" in build while sparrows look like something of a ball (like something pulled out of a dryer vent tube kinda). The GREAT news is they come back to the SAME area that they were born in if housing allows, and the sooner in the season you get them up, the better your chances. We saw/heard the scouts the first time yesterday morning, and even tho we had been gone two weeks, I KNOW they had not been here too much earlier(if at all) because our neighbors are big martin enthueists as well and they had not put up their house yet (you can take it down or just plug the holes to keep others moving in after the martins leave in July...little cap covers come with your house).

The BEST quality is we enjoy the pool and hottub thru end of July with no mosquitoes because they EAT them all!!! MUCH better than buying chemicals to rub on your skin to enjoy outside without being bothered by bites!!!

Old 03-01-2008, 02:59 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,825,678 times
We went and got a martin condo today at Lowe's. If anyone wants one they were $68 and had maybe 2 left. DH also picked up the pole to mount it on (they were $48)--the one we can lower and raise again so we can keep it clear of swallows. We're going to make it permanent in the yard, so he ran back to Lowe's to get some quick concrete mix. Hopefully we'll see purple martins soon! Thanks Paka for posting this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio