Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 06:39 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,884,909 times

Advertisements

The agent who listed the house has a copy of the lease. Ask the listing agent for a copy of the lease. Also ask the landlord for a copy. That's the key. Keep asking. If your on a month to month, when it sells the new owner can give you a 30 day notice. If it is a yearly lease...read it in full. The dates of beginning and end are listed plainly in the lease.
There is no rent control in San Antonio. The lease is your only protection. Stop asking questions of people who do not have the answer. Get a copy of the lease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 08:00 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,919,856 times
Quote:
I played it off and said yes, but can u send me a copy of our lease I misplaced it. (I really didn't just lied to see if I can get this lease cause I never got it in the beginning)
And there it is. Part of a lease or contract in Texas is it MUST be delivered. If you didn't get a copy of it, it was never delivered and you have no lease. You are on month to month subject to the will of the lessor. Most commonly rental properties that are for sale, stay rental property. The situation likely is that a new lessor will buy the property and if they decide repairs or improvements are needed, their decision not yours, then most likely you'll see a rise in the money to rent the same place. You might see the rent go up anyway to offset costs incurred by the new owner. Frankly, I'd be looking for another place as the future doesn't look too spiffy where yer at.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:18 AM

790 posts, read 1,880,863 times
1) Ask for a copy of your current lease. No biggie. Leases get misplaced and this should be an easy fix.
2) There is no rent control in Texas, but you are covered for the length of the lease.
3) Your lease may include stipulations on showing the property. My leases do, because I need to ensure ample access to house when re-renting or potentially selling. You'll have to follow what the lease stipulates.
4) You may want to start looking for another place to live. I rarely lease from individuals, because of the situation you're in now. When renting, I usually go with large properties. That said, there are some great individual owners (like me!) who treat their tenants well.
5) Lastly, the new owners may want to continue renting the property and might be interested in keeping you -- if you aren't trashing the place. (smile) Of course, they may need to raise the rent or they may simply raise it to get you out.

Hang in there, keep your cool and good luck!

Last edited by austindoxie1972; 11-15-2016 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio