U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 10:45 PM

138 posts, read 381,448 times

Advertisements

I also feel that the care is good- at least as far as Public Health with BIA is. I can't say for other areas. It has been several people in the local area that have said that it is bad- I was a bit surprised. I am wondering how much is hype, how much is truth when it comes to the larger ones towards the east- I just can't imagine the rooms full of mold, but I am not an observer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 09:52 PM

107 posts, read 368,844 times
I have had nothing but horrible experiences with military doctors, but I am hoping that will be different once we move to Lackland. But so far, I have never had trouble making an appointment to see one. Here in Dover, I called to see my PCM last Monday, and I got an appointment for a week later. I went a couple of weeks ago for pain in my foot, and I got an appointment the next day. Does that not happen in SA? We will be stationed at Lackland as of late summer.

What about pediatricians? Does it take forever to see them as well? Both at Maxwell and here at Dover, I can usually call a few weeks prior to my daugher's birthday to scheduled a yearly checkup and I will get an appointment within the month. Does that happen there?

Old 03-10-2008, 09:46 AM

60 posts, read 222,352 times
I've been stationed on Lackland and Kelly before it closed for 9 of the last 10 years. The entire time I've used the Kelly Clinic so I don't know about the other clinics on base and in the area. It used to be very easy to get an appointment at Kelly clinic. However over the last few years it has been very difficult. I sometimes have to call daily for 2 weeks before I can get an appointment that is a month away. Sometimes I'll get lucky and there will be a cancellation. Part of the problem is the large number of doctors deployed but I also feel they have way too many people assigned to use the clinic. Once I can actually get in to see the doctors I'm usually quite happy with the care I receive.

The thing I'm quite happy with is the specialty care at Wilford Hall. For several problems I have I routinely visit pulmonary, ENT, ortho, and the allergy clinic and I receive A+ service from all of those doctors and it is very easy to get an appointment. I also recently had surgery at WHMC and it went great.

I've been lucky and haven't had to use the emergency room.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:05 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,343,086 times
You are totally right about WAY to many folks assigned...things are not what they should be for patient load vs provider.

There was a decision made a few years ago by a now retired (thank GOD) hospital CC at WHMC...to make EVERYONE use military providers and stop outsourcing.

That is when they opened the Camp Bullis, 281 and Brooks and Kelly Clinics to ensure that just about EVERYONE falls within that 50 mile radius that requires inpanelment to a "clinic" vs allowing you to find your own Tricare provider. Before that, WHMC was actually closed to retirees as new patients.

Since then, regardless of how many provider are (or are not) available, folks keep getting enrolled. Trust me, the providers are every bit as unhappy over this as the patients are.

BAMC had a sign up last time I was there stating that they were looking for something like 3,500 dependents and retirees to disenroll by selecting off base providers...but WHMC has not to the best of my knowledge.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:57 PM

56 posts, read 153,515 times
The deployment from WHMC is HIGH. My husband works there. "Mission First" is the mantra, and right now the mission is overseas.

We opted out of Prime and use Standard. We choose our own doctors, need no referrals, and pay maximum $1000/yr. for the whole family INcluding prescriptions (less than $100 a month). We rejoined active duty especially for the medical after my youngest was diagnosed with cancer. . . our insurance in the civ. world was outrageous -- almost $1000 a month, plus fees and copays all year long!

You can also write a letter and if you have a strong argument (like continuity of care), get permission to be on prime but use private doctors (ask the Tricare office about this -- we did it and were approved but later opted back to Standard so that we could continue with my daughter's doctors).

Old 03-12-2008, 02:52 PM

35 posts, read 110,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife1029 View Post
Kabrona, if you live closer to Lackland than to BAMC you can ride the shuttle over save gas I do it when I have to go from RAFB to Lackland. Shuttle leaves Lackland from the outpatient clinic every half hour and leaves from BAMC every hour on the hour. Hope that helps.
Awesome! I need to use the shuttle bus especially when the gas price keeps climbing up. Thank you for the information. I know it will help me a lot.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:42 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,335,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie1226 View Post
What about pediatricians? Does it take forever to see them as well? Both at Maxwell and here at Dover, I can usually call a few weeks prior to my daugher's birthday to scheduled a yearly checkup and I will get an appointment within the month. Does that happen there?
I've never had a problem getting a timely appt for my kids.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:50 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,434,583 times
I've had some instances where I'd call for an appt for one of my kids and get one the next week...and I've had some instances when I'd have to call for several days to get one a couple weeks out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio